Respected Contributor

Hair and haircuts

[ Edited ]

AE538A9D-AA74-408F-B90F-061B01D97D96.jpeg

I've had one haircut all year. My hair is curly and grey on top and mixed in but my back and sides are still dark blonde. I've been growing out my grey for several years so it's mixed all through but my hair isn't growing out solid grey. Anyway my hair is down mid back past my bra strap. I walk every morning in humidity and my curls are a mess after that. The only day my hair looks nice is wash day. Then again I'm home all the time so no biggie.

I'm thinking about a shorter cut but I do love my long ringlets. I don't know what to do. I cut it early 2019 before I broke my arm and that was a good thing because my husband had to do my hair for a while. I liked it but at the time I didn't know how to style it to get the most of my curls. I know more now what my hair likes and needs. Any advice? I'm talking about no shorter than shoulder length. 
ETA a pic. This was today after a wash but not enough gel and running around in the yard. It looks fuzzy. Normally I will diffuse some between air drying which I didn't get a chance to do today. 

Honored Contributor

@Lali1 

I have curly hair, too.  When I am looking for a change I google "short curly hairstyles" (or whatever length you may like) & a ton of options display.  I create a hair photo album & save all the hairstyles that may potentially work, then I consult with my hairstylist to pick the one that best suits my face shape, personality, etc.

Over the years, I've come to realize that shorter styles work best for me, but you're right...it needs to be long enough for the ringlets to curl.

Have fun!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@Lali1 

I have curly hair, too.  When I am looking for a change I google "short curly hairstyles" (or whatever length you may like) & a ton of options display.  I create a hair photo album & save all the hairstyles that may potentially work, then I consult with my hairstylist to pick the one that best suits my face shape, personality, etc.

Over the years, I've come to realize that shorter styles work best for me, but you're right...it needs to be long enough for the ringlets to curl.

Have fun!

Thank you and btw I love your hair ❤️ I have a whole bunch of pics saved. Maybe I just need a trim and it will look better. Or I need to cover my curls completely while walking. When the humidity gets to it for that long it looks awful. Used to I could go out in the humidity and my curls would only get curlier now it sort of makes the curls ugly. Maybe that is because I desperately need a good trim. I hate being so fickle about my hair. It's not the major in the grand scheme. 

Esteemed Contributor

If you liked the way hubby cut it, let him do it again.  I'd have him cut it at least 1.5 inches longer than you want finished product. Use good shears ( available on Amazon) and use products designed for curly hair.  I've had good luck with a synthetic hair headband from Amazon ($20).  I'm pretty happy with my hair that DH recently cut 4 inches off ( its somewhat curly).  I'm also cutting his hair with shears, flipped and thinning shears a bit on top.  Neither one of us has been to a salon in one year.

Honored Contributor

Consult someone who is good with matching face shape, hair color, complexion and age to haircut.  Find someone many recommend and take their advice.  Know that what you like might not be what always looks best.  I can wear my hair blonde and in a long pageboy and from the back, I look like a sophisticated college girl but from the front, to me, I look like an old lady trying too hard to be young.

Valued Contributor

@Lali1 i started 2019 with shoulder length hair, trimmed every six weeks.  I believe shorter styler require more trims especially if layered.  i will get regular trims when we are required back in the office.  For now it's a scrunchie most days.  The mommesilk silk hair scrunchies at Amazon are very nice.  Maybe that would help?  

Esteemed Contributor

All of us unshorn, straight haired girls are in awe of curls.  😢

Respected Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

All of us unshorn, straight haired girls are in awe of curls.  😢

If I lived in a less humid climate it wouldn't be so bad. I can wear a buff to cover my hair completely but it really flattens it. My hubby loves straight hair. Why he married this curly haired girl is confusing. 

Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

If you liked the way hubby cut it, let him do it again.  I'd have him cut it at least 1.5 inches longer than you want finished product. Use good shears ( available on Amazon) and use products designed for curly hair.  I've had good luck with a synthetic hair headband from Amazon ($20).  I'm pretty happy with my hair that DH recently cut 4 inches off ( its somewhat curly).  I'm also cutting his hair with shears, flipped and thinning shears a bit on top.  Neither one of us has been to a salon in one year.

Oh he didn't cut it he just helped me style it and put it in ponytails when my arm was useless. He did trim a little off mine recently but he was terrified to cut too much. Plus I have layers and he didn't touch those. 

Respected Contributor

@mizree wrote:

@Lali1 i started 2019 with shoulder length hair, trimmed every six weeks.  I believe shorter styler require more trims especially if layered.  i will get regular trims when we are required back in the office.  For now it's a scrunchie most days.  The mommesilk silk hair scrunchies at Amazon are very nice.  Maybe that would help?  

Thank you. I just went and grabbed a couple of scrunchies. I was using silky ones but they weren't silky enough. Also because my hair is long I have to tuck the ends in after pulling it up and that may help it not frizz so much. I also got some new silk pillowcases as my older ones weren't very silky anymore.