Honored Contributor

When my hair started thinning, my Derm told me to take 10,000mcg of Biotin a day.

Not only has the thinning stopped, my hair grows like crazy and my formerly paper thin nails have thickened and I have long nails for the first time in my 64 years!

For years I took the 'hair, skin & nails' type supplements without much result.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Thank you for your kind words Woman Happy @dex.

I wanted to add that I took biotin for many years, hoping it would do something for my thinning hair and unfortunately it did nothing for me. After doing much research on thinning hair (and bones!) I found out about the bamboo extract. Now I can honestly say there is a product for me that actually worked.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee Where do you buy the bamboo extract.I have never heard anything about that as a supplement.

Trusted Contributor

Speaking of biotin, the other day I saw this product mentioned in a magzine for thinning hair because of the biotin ingredient:  OGX Thick & Full Biotin & Collagen Shampoo.  I have't used it, but I would like to give it a try.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@SilleeMee Where do you buy the bamboo extract.I have never heard anything about that as a supplement.

I buy BULKSUPPLEMENTS brand from amazon. It's a loose powder in a resealable bag. You only need to take a slightly rounded 1/4 tsp daily. The powder is white, fluffy, tasteless, slightly gritty and dissolves very well in water. I mix mine in my 'green drink' every morning. The 500-gram bag lasts me over a year for a price of about $29. @dex

Respected Contributor

I have taken hair, skin and nails vitamins for years. Various brands. The key for me is the biotin. I used to have a huge problem, seasonally, with shedding. Every fall my hair fell out! Lots of it. 

My hair lookds great and no longer has that issue at all. I was blessed with tough nails and really good skin, so I really cannot say if they've been helped or not.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

Re: Hair Vitamins

[ Edited ]

Biotin helped my nails but did nothing for my hair.  Maybe I wasn't taking the right amount.

When Viviscal first came out, I took it for months with no results whatsoever.  I was still a believer back then.

ETA: I'm going to try the bamboo powder. Hope it doesn't upset my finicky digestion. 

Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs

I take Andrew Lessman Marine Peptides... and oh,my, the very next day after taking it one time, my skin was very different! It was glowing and bouncy.

Having been too sick to bother, I just started back to taking this again. Yep! My rashy rosacea face looked great the following day. I thought it couldn’t be true since I hadn’t removed my makeup the night before. Then I remembered I had taken the MCP.

It makes my nails grow too.

Biotin I can tolerate only 50mcg/day or I get a migraine if stronger.

My thinning hair is starting to thicken! Also, I used JM argan  oil on my scalp occasionally and this seems to cause my hair to fill in. HTH

@SilleeMee

Can’t wait to look into those supplements. Do you mind if I ask what other supplements you take? Thank you!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Someone here mentioned the Hair/nails supplement on Evine from Consulte Beaute; she said they were the only ones that ever worked for her and she'd tried so many of them.

I had also and had given up but thought "WTH" and bought them. SOLD!!!!!!! No stomach upset and my nails and hair are growing very well! LOVE THEM.

Honored Contributor

I take Andrew Lessman Hair, Skin & Nails supplement, every day since just this past June.  I never took anything like this before. 

In April I had an allergic reaction to a hair dye and lost about 75% of all my hair!  Just since June, my hair has grown back very quickly (it's still short of course) and very full and lush.  Not one bald spot or thinning remains at all.