Super Contributor

Re: Hair Types - What's Yours?

My hair is THICK, THICK, THICK! I look like the Lion King in the summer/humidity.
Contributor

i found this website many years ago and it has been quite helpful. If you go on it it will tell you how to figure out how porous your hair is.

Mine is very porous.

Honored Contributor

wild and unruly. Use to be wavy, fine, thick and smooth. Now it is in box pleats. I give up.

Respected Contributor

My hair is like hay. I try not to get too close to horses or cows in fear they might try to snatch a bite.

Super Contributor

I am a 3B Curly Spiraly. However, I was confused with the porosity information. I could not decide if my hair was very porous or not! It is very frizzy but it also feels like straw and repels water. Not sure what type of conditioners I need.

I was reading an article about curly hair a couple of weeks ago. It mentioned how curly hair is the most difficult to maintain and care for. Amen!

Honored Contributor

On 7/27/2014 Smurfette said:

I am a 3B Curly Spiraly. However, I was confused with the porosity information. I could not decide if my hair was very porous or not! It is very frizzy but it also feels like straw and repels water. Not sure what type of conditioners I need.

r. AmI was reading an article about curly hair a couple of weeks ago. It mentioned how curly hair is the most difficult to maintain and care foen!

You might need protien conditioner. Try Joico Reconstructor KPak. Do not get the hydrating KPAK, get the original.

Curly hair is hard to care for. It doesn't like lots of heat, and finicky about drying and products

Occasional Contributor

Another "Lion King" here. As far as curl pattern, I have almost ringlets in the back, when I put my hair up, but the rest is, well, all I can call it is "bendy"; not straight enough to wear without extensive blow drying and/or flat ironing, but not curly enough to wear on its own without hot roller help. To my shoulders, long layers, colored med auburn (like it was before it turned white), porous, and takes all day to dry. When you have hair like this, you should NOT live in South Louisiana, which of course, I do.
Super Contributor

According to this NaturallyCurly.com quiz, it's 2A: - "Wavy Swavy".

For others with the same, here's the info.:

Type 2a is gently, slightly "s" waved hair that sticks close to the head; it won't bounce up, even when it is layered. 2a hair tends to be fine, thin and very easy to handle. It is also generally easily to straighten or curl. Type 2a hair tends to have quite a bit of sheen. Your best bet is to use lighter products such as mousses, lotions or gels that enhance the curls, but don't weigh them down.

2a celebrites include: Emma Stone, Amanda Seyfried, and Nicole Richie.

• Use a sulfate-free gentle cleanser to get the most body for your Wavy Swavy hair
  • Use a light, silicone-free conditioner that won't weigh your waves down
  • Finish your style with a volumizer that will keep your hair full while reducing frizz

Mine used to be 2B - "Wavy Curly" - but body chemistry & other things change throughout one's life. Although there's still a bit of that hair type in some areas.

Hey, I'm happy to have some hair on my head in general!

Thanks for sharing, Moon. 8-)

Honored Contributor

Fine, straight & thick. Hair usually falls flat.

Super Contributor

All I could think of when I saw this was the girl with naturally curly hair from Peanuts!

I guess I am a 3A? Or a 2B? I am more curly when it is humid, but less when it is dry. IDK