Regular Contributor

Can anyone recommend one.  Thanks so much

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom in NY 

I've taken Andrew Lessman's Hair, Skin, and Nails for many years.  I'm not sure what my hair would be without them, and I'm not willing to find out.

I would say my hair grows at an average speed, but it is fine and naturally curly, so seeing growth is always a challenge.

I know I've seen other brands mentioned, so I'm sure others will comment.

Seems that Biotin is the main ingredient, and it's been discussed here many times.

Honored Contributor

You can start by trying a high dose of plain Biotin, between 5000 and 10000 mcg daily. 

Honored Contributor

@Mom in NY wrote:

@Mom in NY @I can tell you about my accidental discovery. It's not a supplement. For about six months, I was drinking a smoothie everyday. I used blueberries in it. Lots of blueberries. Sometimes I used strawberries, mini carrots and red bell pepper. The liquid was either vanilla almond milk or vanilla soy milk.I was also eating Dannon full milk vanilla yogurt. I was taking a Vitamin D, 1200 mg, about three times a week and a Vitamin C 200 mg about three times a week.

My hair just started to grow and grow and get thicker and thicker. The entire texture changed. I was not using any hair products. I thought it was my imagination. I kept trying to figure out what was doing this. I tried the process of elimination and watched for a couple months. It seemed to be the high amount of blueberries that were affecting my hair. I continued testing by elimination. I concluded that it wasn't a combination of things, but that it was the blueberries. 

I've been off smoothies for about four months and my hair is definitely not looking as good. 

Recently, I decided to look for any research into blueberries and hair growth and I was stunned to find studies which show that blueberries stimulate hair growth by stimulating cell growth in the hair follicules. Sorry, but I'm not having any luck finding the research today. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D @how much of the blueberries were you consuming a day when it worked for you? thanks

Valued Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Mom in NY wrote:

@Mom in NY @I can tell you about my accidental discovery. It's not a supplement. For about six months, I was drinking a smoothie everyday. I used blueberries in it. Lots of blueberries. Sometimes I used strawberries, mini carrots and red bell pepper. The liquid was either vanilla almond milk or vanilla soy milk.I was also eating Dannon full milk vanilla yogurt. I was taking a Vitamin D, 1200 mg, about three times a week and a Vitamin C 200 mg about three times a week.

My hair just started to grow and grow and get thicker and thicker. The entire texture changed. I was not using any hair products. I thought it was my imagination. I kept trying to figure out what was doing this. I tried the process of elimination and watched for a couple months. It seemed to be the high amount of blueberries that were affecting my hair. I continued testing by elimination. I concluded that it wasn't a combination of things, but that it was the blueberries. 

I've been off smoothies for about four months and my hair is definitely not looking as good. 

Recently, I decided to look for any research into blueberries and hair growth and I was stunned to find studies which show that blueberries stimulate hair growth by stimulating cell growth in the hair follicules. Sorry, but I'm not having any luck finding the research today. 

thank you for this information. I like blueberries in my cereal and I hope it works for me. I have fine hair and due to thyroid issues not a real full head of it. Blueberries are good for you other than the hair so they are worth eating even if it doesn't help your hair.

Regular Contributor

I highly recommend Love Beauty and Planet Vegan Hair & Skin Dietary Supplement. You chew 2 (delicious!) gummies a day and the bottle contains 60, which is essentially a one-month supply. I buy them from Target, but I believe they are also available on Amazon. After taking for only 2 weeks, I definitely noticed a difference in the length and thickness of my hair, and my daughter commented on it as well.  It also makes your nails grow like crazy!  I have tried plain Biotin, Nature's Bounty Hair, Skin, & Nail Gummies, and Andrew Lessman's Healthy Hair Skin & Nails, yet none of those have worked as well as Love Beauty and Planet.  Good luck - I know the frustrations of having to deal with thinning hair.   

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

Maybe it has to do with blueberries being an Antioxidant. You can Google antioxidants & hair growth to read about it.

Honored Contributor

Liquid Collagen.  Right now I'm using the Aminorip but am going to try the one from Zena next. Both are on Amazon 

Respected Contributor

Re: Hair Supplements

[ Edited ]

BioSil drops (Amazon) and 1-2 Cups of Nettle tea per day. Swear by there two. I also use Marine Collagen 

I also take digestive enzyme and noticed a diff. in my hair after about 4 months, slight diff., as we age we have less enzymes to break down and ABSORB nutrients, the enzymes seems to help me absorb more nutrient from the foods I eat.