Respected Contributor

Hair Style Advice in Magazines

For most of my adult life I have had short, highlighted blond hair.  My hair is not thick and has a fine texture.  Has anyone else every eagerly opened a magazine promising "solutions" for hair problems only to be shown hairstyles that are long and able to be put into a pony tail?  This is almost always the case and I do find it frustrating.  Anyone feel this way?

Honored Contributor

Re: Hair Style Advice in Magazines

They do show a lot of long hairdos in fashion magazines.  I now wear short hair because it is so easy to take care of so I read the articles about hair but none of them are for short hair.  I look online for short haircut ideasCat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I believe I've seen style books for short hair.

Esteemed Contributor

You're singing my song, @FastDogWalker2.  Except I don't read fashion magazines -- they're just smoke and mirrors and lots of photoshop.  Who looks like that, really???  Not average folks.   Also, I've searched for "short hair styles" online and gotten pages of neck-length bobs because to some people (not me!) "short" hair is inches below the ears.   Just my experience, I have to search for "pixie" styles. 

I've had short hair for years and love it.  What problems are you trying to solve?  My hair is fine textured, but it's thick on my head (does that make sense?).  My go-to product is a root booster spray after I towel dry.  If I don't use a root booster, my hair is floppy and goes flat.  Can't have that!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

i don't read the  mags either--none of them apply to real people anyway and all they say is so general. i follow my hair dressers advice and then also mine when it comes to styles. sure i look at what is out there but rarely can i ever get that exact same look as my hair is different from hair cut to haircut. so each cut is different too. i wear my hair short. had chemo 5 years ago and lost it all but when it came back it was a different beast. also a different color. i do color highlight it every 6 months to help blend and hide the grey; my girl loves doing color and is very good at it so i let her do what she thinks will look great--and i love it.