Honored Contributor

Have you used or tried Suzanne Somers Brazillian activating hair serum? I love this stuff. It makes my hair smooth and silky and shiny. I dont have a flat iron that it says to use, but it still works. I hope she comes back to shopping channel with Products and not just vitamins.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

No. I use the Curly Girl method, which means I'm sufate and silicone free. The serum has three different silicones in it, so it won't work for me. It's nice to see them buried in the middle of the list, though. A lot of serums call themselves "argan oil serums" or other oils and the first or second ingredient is silicone and the argan oil near the middle or the bottom of the list.

True Brazilian Activating Serum: Certified Toxic Free Ingredient Deck: Hibiscus Sabdariffa Flower Extract (and) Hordeum Vulgare (Roasted Barley) Leaf Extract (and) Cichorium Intybus (Roasted Chicory) Leaf Extract (and) Rosa Canina (RoseHips) Flower Extract (and) Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (and) Prunus Domestica (Plum) Fruit Extract Cinnmomum Zeylanicum (Cinnamon) Leaf Extract (and) Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract (and) Ceratonia Siliqua (Roasted Carob) Fruit Extract (and) Elettaria Cardamomum (Cardamon) Seed Extract (and) Cyclopentasiloxane (and) Dimethicone (and) Cyclotetrasiloxane, Dimeticonol Meadowfoamate (Meadowfoam Seed Oil), Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Sweet Orange) Oil*, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Blood Orange) Oil*, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Oil*, Vanilla Planifolia (Vanilla) Fruit Oil* Infused in Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Crambe Abyssinica (Abyssianian) Seed Oil**, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Fruit Extract, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit Extract, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Fruit Extract, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Rubus Fruticosus (Blackberry) Fruit Extract, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Peel Extract, Lycium Chinense Fruit Extract, Euterpe Oleracea Fruit Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almons) Fruit Extract, Vaccinium Angustifolium (Blueberry) Fruit Extract.** *Certified Organic **EcoCert.

Esteemed Contributor
OBELIS COSMETICS

Cyclopentasiloxane (D5) and Cyclotetrasiloxane (D4) restricted in the EU

Recently many ingredients have been restricted in cosmetic products, among others: Cyclopentasiloxane (D5) and Cyclotetrasiloxane (D4). Both of them are silicones, and they are used to protect the skin and to retain moisture.

Major changes

In 2015, the Scientific Committee of Consumers Safety (SCCS) stated that the level of Cyclotetrasiloxane (D4) as an impurity of Cyclopentasiloxane (D5), should be kept as low as possible, due to the toxicity potential of D4.

At the beginning of 2017 the European Commission (EC) proposed to ban Cyclotetrasiloxane (D4) and Cyclopentasiloxane (D5) in rinse-off cosmetic products, with 0.1% or more of either substance. This ban, when officially published, is going to cover products such as shampoos, conditioners, shower gels, etc.

The European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) plans to go even further and to extend the restriction to leave on personal care products intended to remain on the skin. This proposal is currently in public consultation.

Why are these ingredients being restricted?

Cyclotetrasiloxane (D4) is toxic to human reproduction system and it accumulates in the environment with unpredictable long-term effects. Cyclopentasiloxane (D5) can also be harmful to the environment.

The major problem is  the purity of the silicone – or the lack of it. The harmful Cyclotetrasiloxane (D4) is a common case of impurity for Cyclopentasiloxane (D5) and it is very difficult to differentiate between them.

What do the Manufacturers need to do?

• Make sure that the raw materials supplier provides you with Cyclopentasiloxane (D5) with the highest purity (99%) and that it does not contain  Cyclotetrasiloxane (D4)
  • As a precautionary measure – plan to reformulate rinse-off cosmetic products with Cyclopentasiloxane by decreasing the amount until up to 0,1%, or by replacing it with another type of silicone

Restrictions on cosmetic ingredients In the EU

Cosmetic ingredients are constantly under watch by the Scientific Committee for Consumer Safety (SCCS) and Competent Authorities. The aim is to assess their safety and establish restrictions for the protection of human health. Silicones have been on the spot recently. Currently the attention has turned towards one of the most widely used types – Cyclopentasiloxane. Cosmetics manufacturers and their Responsible Persons should closely follow the updates from the SCCSand keep track of the amendments to the relevant Regulations to take the right decisions to ensure compliance of their products on the EU market

Honored Contributor

I had no idea she would have ingredients like that. She always says her products are 100% non toxic!!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller