Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Hair dye does stain the scalp. Sometimes,it can stain pretty bad.  Hair dye will stain dry skin faster and more severe than oily skin.

Because you are not supposed to wash your hair before coloring it, your scalp might be oily and repels the color...it doesn't allow the color to seep into your skin. If you have. Really dry scalp, color will stain.

Your face turns over skin cells faster than your scalp.  Those dry skin cells are like a sponge and soak up the color.  It helps if you apply some petroleum jelly or cold,cream,

on your face, neck and ears...carefully so that it is not in your hair.

@Carmie , I have been coloring my own for so long, I have no idea how they do it in a salon.  I color red, but I don't have a problem with it staining anything (ears, forehead, etc.).  I don't wash the day before and I had read you aren't supposed to because the natural oils protect your scalp from irritation too.  However, I am also a member of a Hair group on Facebook that has a lot of professional hair stylists in it.  Besides putting down amateurs who ask for advice (even though the group is specifically meant for that), they also jumped on me once for mentioning that tidbit about not washing before coloring.  They all said they washed their clients before they colored them because they had no idea how nasty their hair might be and that you needed clean hair for the color to penetrate properly.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Hair dye does stain the scalp. Sometimes,it can stain pretty bad.  Hair dye will stain dry skin faster and more severe than oily skin.

Because you are not supposed to wash your hair before coloring it, your scalp might be oily and repels the color...it doesn't allow the color to seep into your skin. If you have. Really dry scalp, color will stain.

Your face turns over skin cells faster than your scalp.  Those dry skin cells are like a sponge and soak up the color.  It helps if you apply some petroleum jelly or cold,cream,

@Carmie , I have been coloring my own for so long, I have no idea how they do it in a salon.  I color red, but I don't have a problem with it staining anything (ears, forehead, etc.).  I don't wash the day before and I had read you aren't supposed to because the natural oils protect your scalp from irritation too.  However, I am also a member of a Hair group on Facebook that has a lot of professional hair stylists in it.  Besides putting down amateurs who ask for advice (even though the group is specifically meant for that), they also jumped on me once for mentioning that tidbit about not washing before coloring.  They all said they washed their clients before they colored them because they had no idea how nasty their hair might be and that you needed clean hair for the color to penetrate properly.  

@Icegoddess, how odd. I have never had a stylist wash my hair before redoing my roots.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I color my own hair. I also have a part & never noticed any color left on it. No brown dye that I ever saw. I never washed my hair after coloring. I use some deep conditoning on it after coloring & rinse. I wait 2-3 days before washing. I have not put any color in my hair in almost a year. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Hair colorists are taught not to wash the hair the day of the color.  That is standard in the industry.

However, I have personally seen people who come into the salon with filthy dirty hair with a ton of product on it.  If the hair is super saturated with products, the color will not turn out right. 

Then, the stylist must gently wash the hair, being careful not to scratch or irritate the scalp.  Then they must dry the hair, then put on the color.

You would be surprised how long some people go without washing their hair.  As soon as you apply water at the shompoo bowl, the stink that comes up with the heat of the water is enough to make you pass out.  Some people, but not many are just plain gross.

Honored Contributor

It does stain scalps.

Honored Contributor

I actually never thought about it.

kindness is strength