Super Contributor

Hair Coloring/ Highlights Question

[ Edited ]

I have medium dark brown hair with a few subltle highlights remaining. I usually just get roots done  every 4-6 weeks and the highlight every 3 or 4 salon visits. My all over base color is looking blah, faded. Can I put in a permanent color all over to revive base and cover roots myself and then go a day or so later for highlights at the salon? The brand would be different, is that ok? It would save lone quite a bit of money. I used to dye my hair with semi permanent before I started getting highlights, now I would use permanent. My salon uses only one brand, Dvines, I feel like the color just fades fast. Would this be an option to try? Any do it yourself permant hair color that you love that gives rich, shiney color that lasts? also is All over color vs  just root ok with highlights? Thank for the advise?

Respected Contributor

Re: Hair Coloring/ Highlights Question

You can do it yourself (But I have never been very happy with my home color & I have tried them all), but if you do be sure & take all of the information of what you used when you go in to have highlights done.

Or talk to your stylist & tell them that you are not happy with the way the brand of color is lasting & ask what your options are. 

I was going to a stylist that I really liked, but her color didn't cover my grey & it didn't last. I talked to her, but she couldn't get it better. She would blame it on my hard water or whatever. So I changed stylists. I can't tell you what she uses, but it is rich, shiny, soft & lasts.

Honored Contributor

I also have dark brown hair and got tired of it looking flat so I got highlights at the end of June.  It turned out a bit brassier and redder than I would have liked so when I was home a few days later I decided to tone it down a bit by myself.

I used one of those foam in hair coloring kits.  It's by John Frieda and called Brilliant Brunette in the 5n shade. At first I thought it was a temporary color but it's actually permanent. It came out looking great! ...it's a deep rich shade and the highlights still show but are much more subtle  After six weeks it's holding up well and blends right in with my natural hair color...no roots!

I realize that this is a bit backwards from what you plan on doing but using hair color over the highlights worked for me and perhaps it can in reverse.

Honored Contributor

@Summer Shine

Something you might try - 

Get some John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Shampoo and Conditioner.  It doesn't do anything permanent to your color - but does revive it a bit. 

Super Contributor

I have medium dark brown hari with alot of red, gold and grey (Oh yeah--lot going on).

Many manufacturers are really catering to the brunette segment offering many more shades than previous offered. Try a box color-- L"oreal makes a ton---maybe opt for a lighter than medium brown tone. Just to switch it up a bit. I have fair skin and the "Cool" tones look a little drab on me. 

Respected Contributor

I would suggest you go a couple shades lighter if using a box color - they always turn out very dark on me.  I just highlight with a kit I buy at Target.  My undercolor is naturally dark.  I've let the roots grow out because that seems to be the thing to do nowadays.  But now the grey is starting to come in, so it's back to highlighting my roots. 

Regular Contributor

Yes, you can do allover color and then get highlights done at the salon.  I use Loreal Excellance (not Preference) in Medium Golden Brown.  When touching up roots use a rat tailed brush and bowl and do only the roots, not a full head application. to avoid build up of color on ends, etc.

Super Contributor

katiemichelle, what color is your natural color, how dark does your hair get using this shade?

Honored Contributor

Talk with your stylist before you do anything.  Be honest and tell her you are trying to be considerate of your budget.  She may have some suggestions for you.  Some people do very well with home coloring, but unless a stylist knows what's on your hair, the work she does may not get the desired results and you won't be happy.  Hair that's been dyed with a box color may lift differently than something used by professionals.  She will have to know what you have on there so she can do a good job and have a plan of what she'll need to tone it with if it lifts too red or brassy

Honored Contributor

My hair looks bad because I simply won't go to a salon as often as I should.  There are a lot of options provided by the other posters that I might try.