Honored Contributor

Re: Hair Color questions... please help me answer questions

Inside and out, your hair - and the rest of your body - CAN easily change within 6 months time.

Even just one months time.

This can be due to aging, plus natural changes in body chemistry and hormones.

In addition, gray strands in general (even fine/thin ones) are drier, coarser, frizzier, and more unmanageable.

It really helps to use a deep conditioner or hair mask once or twice a week, plus applying some of that product to just your ends in addition to your regular conditioner.

Depending on your individual hair, a dry, weightless, or penetrating oil spray is also really beneficial, and can be applied when your hair is damp or dry.

HTH and good luck!  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy@cassiem@kcladyz@Dazlin@ladyroxanne

Thank you all so very much for your considered responses!

You cannot imagine how helpful it is to know that this change is not just my imagination.

Have just read, so now it will be a decision about where to start. 

I will ill add that she DOES leave the color on much longer. The first item of business may be a Derm  visit -- my scalp is so broken out! But I will know more after discussing these options with her tomorrow)

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: Hair Color questions... please help

@Dazlin

Yep... I am feeling like I look like Candy Corn too! Thanks for sharing!

Honored Contributor

Re: Hair Color questions... please help

I have poker straight, very fine hair that I get colored and highlighted. Yes, these coloring processes take a toll. My hair looks pretty dry. I found that if I use a drop of argon oil, rub my hands together and apply it to my wet hair after washing helps with combing it out and dryness. I've recently discovered (per my stylist) that using a heat protector spray on my wet hair after washing gives me back my sheen! Its quite noticeable the difference! So much my dh even noticed! (trust me that's remarkable!) Give it a try.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Wonder if you let your hair on it's own, grow the color out and let it rest awhile. It seems like I read something or heard something along those lines. JMHO. I don't color, I do natural w/some  grey. If it is starting to go grey, it does have a mind of it's own.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

Having hair color issues here... my hair turned from managable blonde (hair highlights) to a change in texture from silky to frizzy within a matter of months... I have pictures from Jan 2014 that shows it! and I suspect the hair color product my stylist uses has changed.

My stylist swears that she did not change products. But I wonder, did "they" take some type of ingredient off the market?

However, 

1) Hair feels "coated" for weeks after getting my hair colored

2) My scalp itches for weeks afterward

3) Frizzy, thinner and not manageable at all.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on here?

My stylist claims that this is because my hair is "going gray."  Well, I am finding this hard to understand because of the change within 6 months time?  TIA for your help.

short gray hair colored.jpg

First picture is the color it starts out; second is the color and texture after color washes out.

itchy scalp might be due not not rinsing out the product afterwards?

I think if you were allergic to the product you would have a reaction, you would have found out.  I had one years ago so I color at home.

Ask for a consultation appointment to figure out what is going on or even ask some friends for the name of their stylist to get some ideas and get a consultation there

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal@jackthebear

@ID2@feline groovy@cassiem

Here is a picture that I think my hair would "do" and I may show this to her tomorrow... let it all go gray with darker strands ...

short gray hair.jpg

The wispy stuff around the face is what it is doing already!

Respected Contributor

@LTT1  good luck to you!!!

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@feline groovy@cassiem@kcladyz@Dazlin@ladyroxanne

Thank you all so very much for your considered responses!

You cannot imagine how helpful it is to know that this change is not just my imagination.

Have just read, so now it will be a decision about where to start. 

I will ill add that she DOES leave the color on much longer. The first item of business may be a Derm  visit -- my scalp is so broken out! But I will know more after discussing these options with her tomorrow)

It's so nice to hear that we helped you a bit, LTT - thanks for this reply. Heart

I forgot to mention that there's a natural remedy for an itchy scalp:  

just add a few drops of tea tree oil to your shampoo, then shake well to mix it in

Even your scalp health can change from time to time, and it's where hair health starts.

HTH, too.  Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

@LTT1  i have some gray coming in and that hair is wirey. because it is short and on the crown it sticks up and makes frizz. it's floofy and flyaway. i got a little jar of Living Proof frizz  styling treatment.  makes a difference but works best if you use heat to dry like a blowdryer or flatiron.

color/deveoloper left sitting on your scalp for too long accelerates irritation. does she have you sit under a dryer too?   ask for a sensitive scalp additive to mix into the color - or bring your own if she doesn't know what it is. its called Bio-kur Care&Comfort, it comes in a small packet. sally beauty sells it. i always use it when i do my own color or bring a packet with me to a salon.