Honored Contributor

Re: Hair Color Advise please

Since I have been seeing the same lady since 1996 I would not even let someone else touch my hair.  I would just tough it out until she was available. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Contributor

Buy some root touch up spray until she is available. I would not let someone else do it. Good luck. I know what you are going through.Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

Even if in the same salon - if the stylists rent their space, they may not share the color info with others (at least in my salon they do not). So that isn’t always possible.

Also - always making the next appointment doesn’t always work; my former stylist once had a terrible personal tragedy and was of course out (with no notice) for several months. All scheduled appointments had to be canceled and of course I completely understood.

OP - if you can wait for her to return, I’d try to do that. It would drive me crazy though to need it done, so I feel your pain.

Same here.  My stylist rents space and she keeps all the client info. regarding color, etc. on her own tablet.  They all use the same color but another stylist wouldn't really know what colors to use.  It would be a guessing game.  

Honored Contributor

On occasion, I’ve had highlights or root color not turn out the same as the previous appt. w/ the same stylist...Definitely would not try a different one.

Super Contributor

Thanks for the replies, you all said pretty much what I feared, it could be a noticeable difference, ugh. Yes I do have root touch up stay, thank goodness! I don’t think I’d feel comfortable using another stylist in the same salon. They only use Davines (sp? ) and honestly have not been too impressed with their brand, the color seems to fade faster than the box color I used to use several years ago, when I did my own color woithout highlights, but that could be because I have more grays to cover now. I was considering trying to find a new place for color, plus their prices are so high. I guess I’ll try to tough it out this time. If I do decide to switch stylists/ brand for color I guess I should do it with all over color instead of root touch up???

Super Contributor

This has been my experience, which I am sharing in the hope it benefits you.

I recently switched stylists and my base color from Aveda to Schwarzkopf Essensity. I had used Aveda for a long time, but felt as though the formula had changed and was worried about the ammonia & ppd.

My new stylist recommended Schwarzkopf, and I’m delighted. The formula is ammonia free & organic, the color is dimensional, the grey coverage is great, and best of all, there is not a hard line with the root regrowth. I’m coloring the roots less often, and not coloring the ends at all because I have no fading.

The stylist does the cut & highlights and sells me the base color & developer  (which can be bought online).

I don’t want to be spending the time or money in a salon every few weeks to get my roots done. When I was going to an Aveda salon, I explained I was going away and would be needing the formula so I could do my own roots. He reluctantly wrote it down. The new stylist offered to sell me the products, at her cost, explaining she would rather see her clients using the same products at home as what they are paying her to do. That’s somebody I want to do business with.

If your stylist is not available for weeks, and is not able to accommodate you by sharing how she does your color and having another stylist take care of you, then, it’s time to make a change.

Respected Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

Same shop and ask your hairdresser what she used the others should be able to do it. 

(That’s why I cut and color my own. Hate appointments and want it done when it needs it).

Yes, same!