Honored Contributor

Hair Biology & Dove Hair Therapy Breakage Remedy

Has anyone tried Hair Biology or Dove Hair Therapy Breakage Remedy shampoos and conditioners? 

Thoughts? Opinions? 

I checked out the ingredients and read some online info & reviews for each product. 

My hair seems to be more wiry and frizzier than before, especially those pesky grey hairs. I also seem to lose a lot hair in the shower when I shampoo. I'm a natural dark blonde, but I highlight my hair at home. My hair is a couple of inches past my shoulders and still fairly thick but the texture has definitely changed as I've aged. I'm in my late 50s. I'm looking for something to reduce hair loss, breakage, and add back some control and shine. 

I received a sample of the Dove shampoo and conditioner and used it last night. I definitely noticed less hair loss. Not sure there was much difference in texture, but that's only after one use. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Hair Biology & Dove Hair Therapy Breakage Remedy

[ Edited ]

@wilmaI deal with the same issues. I get my gray hair colored.  I think we just lose more hair as we age. Thick, gray hair is naturally wiry.  I haven't found any sham or cond  that brings back the shine that young, virgin hair has.  Dove is a pretty decent product.  Maybe try a deep conditioner, hair masque or leave in conditioner and see if that helps. I'm giving up silicones in conditioners fr now on, they dry out hair terribly. Dry =wiry. I started using Giovanni Direct Leave In Weightless Moisture Conditoner and I love it, but my hair is wavy, just wash and go, it feels and looks great, I'm getting compliments. No silicone. I'm buying  their s and c next.

Honored Contributor

@decaf wrote:

@wilmaI deal with the same issues. I get my gray hair colored.  I think we just lose more hair as we age. Thick, gray hair is naturally wiry.  I haven't found any sham or cond  that brings back the shine that young, virgin hair has.  Dove is a pretty decent product.  Maybe try a deep conditioner, hair masque or leave in conditioner and see if that helps. I'm giving up silicones in conditioners fr now on, they dry out hair terribly. Dry =wiry. I started using Giovanni Direct Leave In Weightless Moisture Conditoner and I love it, but my hair is wavy, just wash and go, it feels and looks great, I'm getting compliments. No silicone. I'm buying  their s and c next.

@decaf 

Thanks for responding. Didn't know silicones dry out hair.
I have tried a few deep treatments. Didn't really feel they helped. I realize my hair has changed and it won't be like my youth. Just hoping to find a product that might help a bit. 

Trusted Contributor

@wilma  I've found that  s and c is such a personal preference, everyone's hair is so different.  However, most conditioners contain silicone, some shampoos also.  If you see an ingredient ending with 'cone' it's definitely a silicone.  There's also a few used in hair products that are more difficult to spot. Also, some are water soluable and some are not.  There's plenty of info on the internet about all this.

Some leave a film on the hair and over time it's a problem. That's why women use clarifying shampoo right before they color.  Also buildup of silicone can cause breakage and hair loss because the hair can't breathe, it can't get moisture from the air.  It's coated.  My hair was once too thick, heavy and wavy so using silicone products really seemed to control it but, now that it's gray and colored, my once really beautiful hair looks dull and drab.  Tons of hair on the shower drain too.

I'm going to try non silicone products for a while to see if my hair gets healthier.  I'd read reviews of any products you're considering trying.  Please let us know if you find anything that's a winner. 

Respected Contributor

@wilma   i looked at the Dove products.  jmo but i'm very skeptical of Dove. Aveda had an anti-breakage system, Invati. Maybe Dove copied the ingredients.  my hair is VERY damaged. i have colored, high-lighted, bleached for years.

a good test is to take a strand of hair, and pull in opposite directions. Healthy hair is elastic and can stretch without breaking; damaged hair will snap immediately.  i do not believe ANY product can fix this!   my hair snaps quickly. one reason, besides hair fallout at the root,  i am rethinking adding more peroxide to my hair, as much as i enjoy the blonde bayalage look, don't want a chemical haircut.  i've been highlighting and bleaching for 25 yrs (or even more)

Honored Contributor

@decaf wrote:

@wilma  I've found that  s and c is such a personal preference, everyone's hair is so different.  However, most conditioners contain silicone, some shampoos also.  If you see an ingredient ending with 'cone' it's definitely a silicone.  There's also a few used in hair products that are more difficult to spot. Also, some are water soluable and some are not.  There's plenty of info on the internet about all this.

Some leave a film on the hair and over time it's a problem. That's why women use clarifying shampoo right before they color.  Also buildup of silicone can cause breakage and hair loss because the hair can't breathe, it can't get moisture from the air.  It's coated.  My hair was once too thick, heavy and wavy so using silicone products really seemed to control it but, now that it's gray and colored, my once really beautiful hair looks dull and drab.  Tons of hair on the shower drain too.

I'm going to try non silicone products for a while to see if my hair gets healthier.  I'd read reviews of any products you're considering trying.  Please let us know if you find anything that's a winner. 

@decaf 

Thanks for the info. I will try to pay more attention to ingredient labels on shampoos. 

I use a clarifying shampoo once a month. I was using it more often than that, but my hairdresser said once a month was enough. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CatsyCline wrote:

@wilma   i looked at the Dove products.  jmo but i'm very skeptical of Dove. Aveda had an anti-breakage system, Invati. Maybe Dove copied the ingredients.  my hair is VERY damaged. i have colored, high-lighted, bleached for years.

a good test is to take a strand of hair, and pull in opposite directions. Healthy hair is elastic and can stretch without breaking; damaged hair will snap immediately.  i do not believe ANY product can fix this!   my hair snaps quickly. one reason, besides hair fallout at the root,  i am rethinking adding more peroxide to my hair, as much as i enjoy the blonde bayalage look, don't want a chemical haircut.  i've been highlighting and bleaching for 25 yrs (or even more)

@CatsyCline 

My blonde hair got darker as I aged. It was light blonde as a child but it's dark blonde with grey strands now. I went to a colorist for 25 years for highlights to lighten it up. As I aged the highlights also disguised some of the grey. I was having trouble getting an appointment so I started using John Frieda Go Blonder shampoo & spray. I haven't had it professionally highlighted in years.

Trusted Contributor

@wilma  If you find a shampoo or cond that works well, please let us know.  So many choices, it's mindboogling.

Respected Contributor

@wilma I have questions for you if you don't mine.

Is your hair fine in texture? even tho you have med. texture.

How much more hairs are you losing daily than your normal shed?

Do you have low porosity or high porsity hair?

Did you more recently highlight your own hair verses a stylist?

I can suggest a hair product that works for me very well. My hair is fine med. textured high porosity. I was shedding more than usual & had more breakage. My blood is checked often because of a former condition & all is fine. Now this product has mixed reviews but is much more natural than other products for shedding & breakage at least from my experience using it. Their are claims of new baby hair growth but I have only been using it for 2 wks. & my shedding is back to normal. It is "The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Serum for Hair density"  I have not use any new shampoo etc. just The Ordinary so I know that is helping alot. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kabella wrote:

@wilma I have questions for you if you don't mine.

Is your hair fine in texture? even tho you have med. texture.

How much more hairs are you losing daily than your normal shed?

Do you have low porosity or high porsity hair?

Did you more recently highlight your own hair verses a stylist?

I can suggest a hair product that works for me very well. My hair is fine med. textured high porosity. I was shedding more than usual & had more breakage. My blood is checked often because of a former condition & all is fine. Now this product has mixed reviews but is much more natural than other products for shedding & breakage at least from my experience using it. Their are claims of new baby hair growth but I have only been using it for 2 wks. & my shedding is back to normal. It is "The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Serum for Hair density"  I have not use any new shampoo etc. just The Ordinary so I know that is helping alot. 

@Kabella 

Thanks for the info & suggestion. I've never used a hair serum. 

I would describe my hair stands as fine even though I have a lot of hair overall. I've always described my head of hair as being thick. 

l started to notice losing more hair when I grew my hair out from a short cut to a longer length several years ago. It's currently a couple of inches past my shoulders. I even asked my hairdresser about it. She said my hair was thick and healthy, and it probably looked like more hair because the strands were longer. I definitely notice more hair loss after using a conditioner than when I don't. 

I looked up info about porosity. It's definitely medium to high in that category. 

I started highlighting my hair myself about 5 years ago. I would think the chemicals my colorist used were harsher than the counter spray I currently use to do the job. But who knows. 

I really think menopause and aging has more to do with my hair changes than anything.