Esteemed Contributor

Had some facial surgery... mole removal. Need product that will mask or hide or remove scar

I will no doubt end up with a scar near my  nose down to my lip.  IS THERE A PRODUCT THAT WILL HELP HEAL, HELP REMOVER OR HELP HIDE THE SCAR.  My doctor might have one but it seems to be almost $300 a tube or bottle.  Is there a product that the Q sells.  I know this is probably not going to happen but I have to ask. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Had some facial surgery... mole removal. Need product that will mask or hide or remove scar

@bonnielu   I suggest Google.  Lot's of information.

Respected Contributor

Re: Had some facial surgery... mole removal. Need product that will mask or hide or remove scar

Mederma is an over the counter cream that has worked on reducing the scar on my leg after surgery.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Once you get completely healed then consider microneedling as a way to help reduce the appearance of the scar. I had a very noticeable and large chicken pox scar on my cheek and now it's hardly noticeable. 

In the meantime check out the Dermstore and SkinMedix. They both have a section for 'scar'. Just type scar in the search box there.

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I will no doubt end up with a scar near my  nose down to my lip.  IS THERE A PRODUCT THAT WILL HELP HEAL, HELP REMOVER OR HELP HIDE THE SCAR.  My doctor might have one but it seems to be almost $300 a tube or bottle.  Is there a product that the Q sells.  I know this is probably not going to happen but I have to ask. 

I also had a mole removed in January.  I was instructed to use vaseline on the area afterwards and even with the sutures out I continue to use it.  It's healing kind of nicely but there's one spot that's bugging me.  I plan on goiing back to office to ask if there is something that can be done or applied.   But I did come across something called Bio Oil.  I'd like to use that, if I need to, but sometimes one can do more harm than good so I plan on asking doctor first.  

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu You could post the name of the product your doctor has in his office. No doubt someone on here may have used it. In the meantime I would invest in his product at least once. Scar tissue could be minimized more effectively in the healing process rather than later. I would use only as he suggests as this skin will be very tender.

Dermablend products will cover and hide imperfections very effectively. Jane Iredale products were developed to be used after plastic surgery. They were initially sold in doctors' offices. They don't irritate. I am very sensitive and have never had a reaction to her products which are now available in stores nationwide. Nordstrom carries them. You could look on the Jane Iredale website for your area to get a store where a color match would be available.

Best wishes for your recovery. Please let us know how you are progressing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had mole removal several years ago, @bonnielu, and my dermatologist prescribed .1% Retin A. to prevent scarring.   At the time, I was new to Retin A so I had the usual break in flaking and dryness that I had to get through, but I have zero scars on my face from the procedure.  

Honored Contributor

Forget looking here.  

I STRONGLY second the suggestion to use a scar gel, like Mederma, religiously while the wound is healing!

Mederma was a godsend to me with both incisions after knee replacement, especially the last one that split open and took 3+ months to heal.  The scar above my knee is nearly an inch wide, but is smooth, pale, and pretty, thanks to Mederma and daily massages to prevent scar tissue buildup.   

Look for the advanced formula of this scar gel at any drugstore.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu 

My dermatologist recommends Mederma and sells it in her office.  Not sure if the version she sells is stronger than the drugstore version. 

ETA  Ack!  I misspoke.  Just looked at the tube and the med that my derm sells in her office is Stratamed.  Sorry!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

Isomers Cooper P is great for healing. She also has a  Vitamin K product that helps.