Esteemed Contributor

Re: Had some facial surgery... mole removal. Need product that will mask or hide or remove scar

I had a large cut made and asked the dermatologist what to use.  I also did not want it to seize up.

Ask, they will have good advice.

Honored Contributor

Re: Had some facial surgery... mole removal. Need product that will mask or hide or remove scar

[ Edited ]

@RedTop I agree! About 9 years ago I took a fall outside and hit my mouth against a piece of concrete. Talk about pain. A tooth broke, which my fabulous dentist was able to rebuild and it's still good. I had a long cut on my upper lip that went up to my lower nostril. 

Dentist suggested Mederma. Got it at Walgreen's and didn't know this but it was kept locked in the pharmacy! It was a little over $20 (a lot at that time for a small tube) but worth it. I used it religiiously for a couple of months and there is absolutely no sign of any scar. 

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu   Ask the Pharmacist at your local drug store.  There are creams for scars and perhaps he/she which is best.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

Pracasil. It is compounded at a compounding pharmacy. No script is needed unless you want an antibiotic or steroid or some other prescription med added in.

After double knee surgery DH used just the regular Pracasil and his scars are hardly visible.

Honored Contributor

My derm recommended Serica. I purchased it at Walgreens but you can get it at quite a few places. I had never heard of it before but think it works quite well.

Super Contributor

I just want to add it is imperative to keep the site covered with a sunblock for the next year. As much as any topical product can do, making sure to keep the site covered will help tremendously in your healing process & minimizing scarring. Good luck to you!

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu   I wouldn't worry about it.  Twice I've had my face carved up with Mohs surgery to remove maligancies.  The last time was 2 years ago and you can see almost nothing.  The face has so many blood vessels, it heals beautifully without intervention.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I've used Scar Away silicone gel and have had great success after mole removal. It's available over the counter. It also comes in reusable silicone sheets but I've never tried those.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu 

Please move with caution. 

There are good good things out there for you, keep hope, but so much depends on skin type, etc.  

You might ask your Derm. What s/he might recommend if the number one solution is too dear.  They know about options, ask for advice.  And, ask for samples!  Ask your pharmacist about generics.

good wishes 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Inherited the tendency to keloid from my father, so after a breast biopsy ( turned out to be calcium deposits ), I ended up with a raised, red-colored, "worm-shaped", 3" long V- shaped scar.

It didn't hurt but when the weather changed it would itch like crazy.  Finally, my new dermatologist said he could inject the scar and in time it would shrink.  It has shrunk unbelievably and is now pale pink and is almost smooth.  No more itching either. And, no more stares when I go for my mammogram.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill