Honored Contributor

Re: HSN TS — Revlon 1-Step Dryer PLUS Carrying Case

@Caaareful Shopper  and @SilleeMee - how does the oval brush compare to a round brush?  I have an older model Conair that has a round brush, but I've been wanting to try the oval brush.  

Thanks @Caaareful Shopper for letting us know.

Honored Contributor

Sorry, I had to take a couple of meetings...

The smaller oval brush, the lower heat setting, the narrower/tapered handle, and being able to pack it easier (whether I use the case or not) are all advantages this version has over the original for me.  

I may use the case for makeup brushes or something else.  

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper  and @SilleeMee - how does the oval brush compare to a round brush?  I have an older model Conair that has a round brush, but I've been wanting to try the oval brush.  

@San Antonio Gal 

My guess would be to create more volume. The longer-flatter-side of an oval would seem to do that whereas the rounder-side would give it slight curl.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@San Antonio Gal For me, the oval brush gives me more volume because I can get it closer to my scalp for an immediate upward lift while brushing it out and under.  I think  the oval shape also helps with never getting tangled in my hair, but I have not seen that stated anywhere in its description.  

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@San Antonio Gal 

My guess would be to create more volume. The longer-flatter-side of an oval would seem to do that whereas the rounder-side would give it slight curl.

That's my understanding as well ... the oval allows the brush to get closer to the scalp so you can get more lift at the root. At least that's what I'm understanding from this item and listening to the Calista presentation on her brush. I've ordered the HSN item hoping to be able to do my shoulder length hair a bit quicker than drying w/ round brush then using a curling iron to smooth and get a small bend.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

None of these things work on my hair.  I bought the Revlon One Step Dryer last summer from Amazon during Prime Days.  It was the worst out of the bunch I have used.  All it did was make my hair flat and lifeless with no volume at all.  

I see so many people use this and love it but it wasn't for me at all.

Respected Contributor

I have this and was so excited to get it.

Well, the honeymoon ended quickly, it tangled in my long hair and it go way to hot, since I blow dry most day I could tell after a few uses that my hair was going to fry out pretty quickly. Plus, it was awkward to hold it. Back to the blow dryer and brush...

Respected Contributor

Thanks for pointing out that the barrel is smaller.  That's a negative for me.  I have longer curly hair and I use my original One Step when I want to wear my hair straight.  The larger barrel helps because I do not want curl when I am using it.  I just want flat, smooth hair.  I'm going to cancel.  Thanks.

Regular Contributor

I have shoulder length hair. I always do a quick blow dry and then finish with the Revlon one step. Doing it this way is faster and it doesn't get too hot. Takes me 5-10 minutes.

Esteemed Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:

I did end up ordering this item as I've been wanting it for a few months and to me this price is good. The free shipping helped too. I hope it works as well as the presentations indicated it worked. 

So no, this did not work for me as it worked in presentations and I ended up sending it back. I tried it 3 times and it just left me w/ straight hair w/ a weird bend/flip at the ends - not a curl, but a pokey bend - not what I wanted at all.

The pros

- the low setting was perfect for drying my hair. Enough heat w/o a lot of air.

- not as loud as a regular hair dryer.

- much easier to dry back of hair as you can hold both ends and/or wrap one hair around the brush and use your other hand to direct the dryer.

- hair DID NOT TANGLE in brush.

- it gives a bit of lift at root.

- I thought it weighed less than my regular hair dryer.

The cons

- does not curl the hair at the ends - not even a little.

- is NOT faster than a regular hair dryer.

- the case wasn't useful for me to use for any purpose.

I think if you had thick hair you wanted to dry straight, this might be a good dryer. But if you want any sort of curl at the ends, I think the round brush version (which is less expensive) would probably work better that the oval brush. There are also versions of this style of brush w/ mulitple brush options that might be something worth trying too.

But all in all, this Revlon oval brush w/ case was not a value to me.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."