Honored Contributor

HSN TS Color Changing Lipstick

I would never want to buy 3 tubes of the same lippie at one time, one would last me forever. Anyone buying?? I remember the reviews on the original item number for this were only fair , they have been removed since that item number is not active now.  That being said, the price is excellent for those that can use 3. 

Honored Contributor

Re: HSN TS Color Changing Lipstick

I found the single they were selling before. You can read the reviews for it here:

https://www.hsn.com/products/the-beauty-spy-heart-and-seoul-black-rose-lipstick/9099838

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I found the single they were selling before. You can read the reviews for it here:

https://www.hsn.com/products/the-beauty-spy-heart-and-seoul-black-rose-lipstick/9099838

Yes, I saw that too, but just a couple of reviews. At one time they had a double pack and there were many more reviews on that item number. They removed that item. 

Honored Contributor

It's that same hot pink magic mood lipstick they used to sell at the drugstore. The kind where there was a blue one, a yellow one, and a green one.

It's encapsulated dye. The pigment is listed there at the end of the ingredient list like any other lipstick. The encapsulation around the dye breaks after you put it on and that's the color you get. It looks different on different people because we all have different natural lip colors and a sheer hot pink looks different on different people. There is no magic or customization actually going on there.

If you like long lasting hot pink lip color, go for it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Yes, on me it would be very hot pink too. Is it same for the very pricey black one from Givenchy? I do like Sailor from Lipstick Queen, looks navy blue in tube but goes on like a deep plum mauve shade, very pretty. 

Respected Contributor

While in college, in the 70's, I had one of these color changing lipsticks. I picked it up at what we used to call, 'the Dime Store', for pocket change.  I actually liked it, as it just seemed to enhance the natural color of my lips.

This version is just another example of everything old becoming new again. However, it likely has better lip protective ingredients.

But, I've been there, done that, so I'm no longer interested in 'magical' lipstick.  But, I do still have my mood ring, in perfect shape Woman Wink.   

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

It's that same hot pink magic mood lipstick they used to sell at the drugstore. The kind where there was a blue one, a yellow one, and a green one.

It's encapsulated dye. The pigment is listed there at the end of the ingredient list like any other lipstick. The encapsulation around the dye breaks after you put it on and that's the color you get. It looks different on different people because we all have different natural lip colors and a sheer hot pink looks different on different people. There is no magic or customization actually going on there.

If you like long lasting hot pink lip color, go for it.

I had many of those and remember them well. They all turned the same  shade of hot pink on me and looked awful. And as much as everyone talks about long-wearing lipstick now, those old mood lipsticks were nearly indelible and I was stuck with that garish pink for hours, no matter what I did.

The newer versions are much nicer, like Smashbox's O-Gloss, and IT Cosmetics' Je Ne Said Quoi. They all still turn pink on me but it's a sheerer pink that looks more natural than those green lipsticks from the drugstore. Outside of the novelty, those lipsticks were so outrageous on me that I never wore them. The modern versions are very wearable and I have several of them.

Honored Contributor

IT Je Ne Sai Quois also turns very hot pink on me. 

Honored Contributor

I remember at one time Smashbox had a color adjusting blush, I tried in Sephora and I looked like a purple clown, no wonder it did not stick around for long. 

Honored Contributor

It's good for people with super pale lips, like me. Better to have hot pink going on than cadaver grey lol. When I know I'm going to be eating with people I want to look good around (I'm allowed to feel that way, silly and insecure as it may be) and the occasion is such that taking time out to go fix up my makeup right after eating would be overly fussy, this type of indelible product is just the ticket.

I like the IT Je Ne Sais Quoi version because it seems to distribute the pigment the best. The rose IT version has a more conservative regular rose colored lipstick along with the hot pink that modifies the color until it wears off, but it's still the same old stain left behind.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr