Honored Contributor

HOLIDAY SETS USUALLY NOT SAME QUALITY

[ Edited ]

Yes, sweeping statement, I know. How many of you have purchased Holiday Makeup Sets from lines you've worn and loved only to find they're lacking the same quality?

Many times to keep the prices down, the cost for the amount of product is usually low. The manufacturers are not the same ones they use the rest of the year. The idea is to keep the cost low and count on volume sales. 

Buyer beware especially now when samples are sealed and you can't test fallout from shadows or textures of lipcolors. Also makeup and skincare lines have experienced extreme drops in revenue and are counting on gift sets to help them out. Packaging is also inferior. "Keepsake boxes" rarely last like they used to. 

Respected Contributor

Re: HOLIDAY SETS USUALLY NOT SAME QUALITY

I noticed that skin care companies are beginning to offer mini size choices for some of their products sold at Sephora. I guess because samples cannot be given out at this time. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Janey2   Also Sephora is offering again this year sample  gift boxes with various mascaras, lipsticks, glosses, etc. 

Remember most stores take back even used makeup/skincare. So, if not sure of color or efficacy, give it a shot. How's the time with extended return policies. 

Honored Contributor

Decades ago I used to treat myself to the Estee Lauder Christmas specials every couple years or so. 

More recently, I'd pick up the Clinique sets once in a while.

Never noticed any difference in the quality of products.

Honored Contributor

I have purchased many holiday sets and never thought it wasn't the same quality.  I didn't have any issues.

Honored Contributor

I know back in the day when Elizabeth Arden used to do the holiday blockbuster kits, it wasn't the same quality.  The counter associates said those products were made for those kits exclusively and weren't typical EA formulas.

Within the last couple of weeks I was watching Emily Noel on YouTube and she purchased some holiday eyeshadow palettes from Tarte.  Tarte came out with smaller versions of larger palettes they have.  Emily used these holiday palettes and said they definitely are not the same quality as the full-size palettes Tarte offers all the time.  

Trusted Contributor

I think it depends on the brand.  I've definitely noticed that quality suffers with holiday sets from TooFaced or Tarte.  Would never again buy holiday sets from them again.

I've never had a problem with holiday sets if they're just special configurations/sizes of existing products (like the type Sephora sells).  It seems the problem only happens when it's something like a special palette of eye shadows or face products.

Valued Contributor

@Shanus 

I agree with you 100% . In the late 80's early 90's I worked on 54th Street and Avenue of the Americas in NYC. We were smack in the middle of Saks, Bergdorffs, Henri Bendel and Elizabeth Arden Reddoor Salon. At Christmas time I always treated myself to one special beauty box I had my eye on (My Christmas present from me to me ) . Then the products were quality and the keepsake box or cosmetic bag lasted for years . Over the years I found that the holiday gift box quality was inferior ( shadows , blushes etc didnt have the same lasting power or were unflattering colors and finishes .)  As I got older I moved on to cruelty free brands and also simplified my makeup style . I still look when I go to Sephora or Marshalls or other department stores and sadly see that like many things today the quality is just not there . Thanks so much for all your makeup tips on the boards .

have a great day .

Honored Contributor

@marmarbrooklyn   You're so welcome. You also have to watch for some shades or formulas (especially lipsticks) & skincare items (changing packaging or ingredients), so they use these Holiday gift pkgs. to dump what they will not be carrying anymore.