Honored Contributor

@SportyShorty07 wrote:

@On It @beckyb1012   I love Olay skincare! I've been using their 7 in 1 Firming Night cream every night since I was in my late 20's and now I'm 35- it is a great product! Smiley Happy  Olay body wash is great too- super silky results and I love the bubbles Smiley Very Happy.  I'll never stray from Olay!

@SportyShorty07 Olay Body Wash is the only Olay product I CAN use.  It's currently my go-to.  I use the one with hyaluronic acid.  I couldn't say if iit is making my skin more hydrated though.  I always apply body lotion/butter after getting out of the shower. 

Respected Contributor

Re: HIGH END VS. DRUGSTORE?

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess  Ooh I'll have to try out the Olay Hyaluronic acid body wash that you use- I like hyaluronic acid in my skincare Smiley Happy. I use the Olay Exfoliating Body Wash with Sea Salt that comes in the blue and white bottle.  I really like the lather and bubbles that come from using Olay Body Wash- it feels fancy and the price is right at $7 Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

If there is a product by an expensive brand that I like,  I will continue to buy it.  I spend a lot more money experimenting with trying different things to figure out what I prefer at the drugstore.  So I stick with what I know works for me.

100% on this. I have a few HG products that are high end and I have no reason to experiment just to find a cheaper alternative.  Plus it lasts me a long time because I don't wear makeup everyday,

@ccassaday @PhilaLady1 Y'all sound like me.  If I like it, I use it.  I also have some higher end holy grails, but I'm not afraid to use drugstore either, except when it comes to my hair, but that's a whole other story. 

There's also IMO a middle ground price-wise.  There are some brands I just don't even bother looking at because I know I'm not spending that kind of money.  I have one Christian Dior lipstick, now discontinued, but I really only wore lipstick on Sundays, so it lasted me many years.  I managed to buy another around the time it was discontinued since their site was the only place I could find it.  So, I'll have several more years out of that one.  

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Jacie 

but I hold to the opininon that packaging IS expensive

Yes it is.  Companies know that it's the first impression and first impressions are everything.  They only get one chance at that first impression.  

Another thing about drugstore (and it's most likely just me).  I was in WM about a month ago and browsed the makeup section.  There is so much!  How do you see everything and not just see it but pick it up and study it and compare it to other products?  I am used to browsing on Sephora and taking my time, reading unincentivized reviews.  To be fair, I kinda felt the same way when I was shopping Sephora in-store (a baby Sephora inside JCP).  I am so thankful for online shopping!

@monicakm I'm the opposite.  I spend a lot more money in-store with impulse purchases than I do online.  I don't even know HOW to browse online.  I go in looking for specific products and then I check out.  I guess that's where the beauty influencers come in that I don't watch.  

Honored Contributor

@SportyShorty07 wrote:

@Icegoddess  Ooh I'll have to try out the Olay Hyaluronic acid body wash that you use- I like hyaluronic acid in my skincare Smiley Happy. I use the Olay Exfoliating Body Wash with Sea Salt that comes in the blue and white bottle.  I really like the lather and bubbles that come from using Olay Body Wash- it feels fancy and the price is right at $7 Smiley Very Happy

@SportyShorty07 cleansers, including facial cleansers, to me I just see no need to spend lots of money on.  For awhile I was using the Tatcha Camellia Oil dupe you could get in Amazon, but when they left Amazon, the only place I could find it put it in the expensive category.  The other oil cleansers I tried just didn't satisfy, so now I use a cleansing balm at night.  I use Aveeno Positively Radiant Brightening Cleanser in the shower.  I also see no need for the trend of double cleansing.  If I'm not showering in the AM, I don't use anything but a wet washrag on my face.  That's more about breathing in the moist hot air than anything else.  

For some reason I ended up with a big bottle of Dove body wash.  Very disappointed in that one.  It's been relegated to the upstairs shower where I wash out my hair color.  That'll last me awhile for sure.  All the stuff I don't care for end up up there since I hate to throw stuff out. 

Respected Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

Why thank you @nyc1, thank you very mucho Smiley Happy  I have so much makeup, I will probably never have to buy it again for as long as I live.  I DID just have to re-purhcase my brow gel and it's drugstore (lol)  NYX Thick It Stick It.  I have a Too Faced Brow Gel and it's fine, it just goes on too heavy/dark but I'd use it in pinch.

I just recently purchased the NYX Thick It Stick It.  It works very well and is a good subsitute for the gimme brow I usually buy.

Honored Contributor

Re: HIGH END VS. DRUGSTORE?

[ Edited ]

Other than Paula's Choice BHA, everything I use for makeup and skincare comes from the drugstore. I used a few expensive products from my dermatologist and higher end brands for several years, but those were either discontinued, or I stopped using them to save money. 

As a woman over 60, I can definitely tell you the skin care and makeup from drugstores has improved a lot over the years. When I think of what was available then compared to the variety now, it's amazing. I realize everyone's budget is different, but $35 for one drugstore beauty or skin care product is a lot more than I used to pay, but the quality is better. 

I'm happy right now with my products so I have no reason to try something else or more expensive. 

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

I guess that's where the beauty influencers come in that I don't watch.  

Yeah but...I was enjoying high end makeup before I was ever on the Internet and certainly before I started watching YT.  Like YEARS.  I was going to the dept stores and buying brands like Chanel, Shiseido and Lancome from Dillards and Macys (mostly Dillards).  Furthermore, I'm able to "just say no" when I'm watching influencers.  I'm not blindly handing over my money.  

I guess I need to start questioning why some of you shop drugstore :/  But yeah, I wouldn't do that.

Honored Contributor

@nyc1 

2.jpg

Yes, it IS so much fun to sit down to a 3 tier cart of a virtual Sephora store at my fingertips.  OTOH, if I don't choose my makeup the night before, I'm going to have to get up 10 minutes early to decide on my look.  I have amassed my beauty empire (lol) but not ruling out ever buying more.  It's just going to have to be super unique for me to bite.  I really don't see ever buying more e/s.  Lipgloss and blush get to me in a big way but I've been strong except for the recent Kaleidoes purchase.  I think I'll wear that blush today (basically a cool toned bronzer)And @SportyShorty07 's Denona blush

Honored Contributor

But,exactly how much does the packaging cost?-per unit

Some packaging is necessary to protect the product during shipping.