Respected Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Shanus 

I look for makeup that is not only beautiful but wears well ( longevity), feels good on the skin and plays good with other products.  Most any makeup can look good when you first put it on, but does it start to turn blotchy or separate after an hour or two of wear? Does it look cakey, streaky? Does blush disappear?  Does your brow mascara keep your brows up all day?  Does your powder accentuate pores?  Can you find your shade match in foundation?  I spent most of my life buying drugstore makeup and there is absolutely a difference. From what I understand drugstore has upped their game so maybe the gap isn't as wide.  Does packaging get to me? Absolutely. Marketing is a multi-billion dollar business.  If done right, it gets to everyone, I don't care who you are.  Maybe you look at it and say oh how nice and put it back on the shelf and maybe you don't. I appreciate nice/pretty packaging, but if the product inside doesn't live up to my expectations it goes back. High-end makeup is an experience.  It's sensorial. It's a vibe, I like it and can still eat and pay my bills.  To compensate for the cost I don't smoke, drink, go clubbing, or spend hundreds on shoes and purses 😉  high end makeup IS my hobby.  It's an experience.

@monicakm   LOVE LOVE LOVE your response!

Honored Contributor

Why thank you @nyc1, thank you very mucho Smiley Happy  I have so much makeup, I will probably never have to buy it again for as long as I live.  I DID just have to re-purhcase my brow gel and it's drugstore (lol)  NYX Thick It Stick It.  I have a Too Faced Brow Gel and it's fine, it just goes on too heavy/dark but I'd use it in pinch.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@teganslaw wrote:

I checked out Estee Lauder diamond cream, wondering about ingredients. The cream has black diamond truffle extract, which is highly prized item found in France. It sounds nice and I considered it for a moment, until I saw the price. Way out of my budget. 

I'm glad that this works for some others. It would be upsetting if a cream this expensive didn't deliver the expected results. As long  as it works, it's all that matters. 

@teganslaw I'm with you on the price of this product, no matter whether it works or not. (Ditto with other brands like La Mer). Another reason I wouldn't buy this product is that it contains fragrance, something I don't want on my face. That's an invitation for an allergy to develop. 

Unless you have dealt with red, sensitive skin all your life, I would never say never. 🥺

Respected Contributor

I love high end and drugstore. I visited Ulta last evening and had a ball on both sides of the store.

Yes, packaging does matter to me as I love to look at beautiful things but I am also a performance girl. 

Honored Contributor

Without doing it consciously my cosmetics are now all high end and repeat buys.  I don't have anywhere near the number of products that I used to have.  I no longer enjoy browsing the drugstore.  

Cleansers, moisturizers and night creams are drugstore brands like CereVe and Olay.  My skin is not particularly dry or discolored so that works fine for me,  

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 marketing plays a part too, but I hold to the opininon that packaging IS expensive, if it wasn't more brands would be packaged better than they are.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Trusted Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@teganslaw wrote:

I checked out Estee Lauder diamond cream, wondering about ingredients. The cream has black diamond truffle extract, which is highly prized item found in France. It sounds nice and I considered it for a moment, until I saw the price. Way out of my budget. 

I'm glad that this works for some others. It would be upsetting if a cream this expensive didn't deliver the expected results. As long  as it works, it's all that matters. 

@teganslaw I'm with you on the price of this product, no matter whether it works or not. (Ditto with other brands like La Mer). Another reason I wouldn't buy this product is that it contains fragrance, something I don't want on my face. That's an invitation for an allergy to develop. 

@Texasmouse The fragrance of this cream is very subtle and IMO adds to the experience of using it. I agree with @@Trinity11. My skin feels softer than a rose petal after applying. Yes, it's too darn expensive but, in my case, I was only using it once a day. I recently bought the larger size and have started using a.m/p.m. It's supposed to help with facial contours, as well, and that's what I need help with. I've always used high end skin care products but this is definitely the most I've ever spent...and, yes, the jar it comes in is beautiful. I use some drugstore makeup like lipsticks and liners.

Honored Contributor

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

If there is a product by an expensive brand that I like,  I will continue to buy it.  I spend a lot more money experimenting with trying different things to figure out what I prefer at the drugstore.  So I stick with what I know works for me.

@PhilaLady1 

Ditto!  I have found that I have thrown out more drugstore brands that I have experimented with this past year than I've kept.  Maybe it's because it's inexpensive that I don't feel bad throwing it out like I might a more expensive brand.

My skincare routine is pretty set.  Every now & then I might try something new but for daily am/pm routine I know what works.  I may play a little more with make-up, but I still have my tried & true products that I don't deviate from.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@Jacie 

but I hold to the opininon that packaging IS expensive

Yes it is.  Companies know that it's the first impression and first impressions are everything.  They only get one chance at that first impression.  

Another thing about drugstore (and it's most likely just me).  I was in WM about a month ago and browsed the makeup section.  There is so much!  How do you see everything and not just see it but pick it up and study it and compare it to other products?  I am used to browsing on Sephora and taking my time, reading unincentivized reviews.  To be fair, I kinda felt the same way when I was shopping Sephora in-store (a baby Sephora inside JCP).  I am so thankful for online shopping!

Honored Contributor

How much do you all think packaging costs/per unit?