Respected Contributor

Re: HIGH END OR DRUGSTORE?

[ Edited ]

I am a complete mix. I have an Hourglass foundation that I love and a Wet N Wild one that I love, plus a few in between those price-wise.

My favorite lipgloss is from Maybelline but I have some high-end ones too.

I won't pay much for lipliner.Lipsticks are all over the map, it's usually about the color for me.

My favorite mascaras are from Essence and IT Cosmetics.

Whatever works is what I gravitate to.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor
I’m strictly drugstore and Avon.

I don’t have any hair or skin issues.
Honored Contributor

I've never gone for the really high end stuff.  Most of my life I never could afford it, for one thing.  I think if you can afford it and you enjoy it, go for it. 

Later on, I tried a few products from Lancome and other names, but they did nothing more for me than my drugstores products and some of them I even had more reactions and problems with. 

I have issues with my skin that I don't feel even the most expensive products will solve.  I enjoy my drugstore products and I think these days there is so much more variety and so many more good lines to pick from.  

My answer is --- whatever makes you happy and whatever works for you - whether its high end or drug store!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: HIGH END OR DRUGSTORE?

[ Edited ]

No drugstore products in my arsenal.  None.

I user a wide range of differnt brands for shadows, blushes, concealers, mascaras.  I stopped using foundation and just touch up where necessary.

Skin care too.   I've narrowed that down to fewer lines but still alternate during the week (night and day)  between several brands.

I'm also a sucker for beautiful packaging....  not all the time,  but it does appeal to me.   The product must preform,  however,  that is my most critical requirement.

Respected Contributor

I have a mix.  For my needs, some inexpensive products are fine.  Are Dior eye shadows more luxurious than my favorite Wet n Wild palettes?  I'm sure.  The difference in price is $57.  I guarantee no one in my world can tell the difference on a daily basis.  I've had cheap stuff I hate and expensive stuff I hate and cheap stuff I love and expensive stuff I love.  I think application technique is as important as product. 

Trusted Contributor

I also like to use both types of products, too.

For example, most of my lipsticks are drugstore brands like Wet N Wild.

I also like to use brands like Clinique, Estee Lauder, Laura Geller, Signature Club A, Beekman 1802, and Korres when I can.

I had a couple of different doctors tell me over the years that the difference between department store brands and drugstore brands was just the price and marketing, and that the ingredients were basically the same between them--to save my money and to use drugstore brands.

However, I have to agree with those of you who think that some of the higher-end products are better.

For example, one of the nicest lip glosses I ever used was a Chanel lip gloss. The color was absolutely beautiful, and the gloss was a really great product. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Toppers3 

Ah, Chanel lipglosses.  The colors are supurb.  My first Chanel lipgloss was over 15 years ago.  I fell in love with this color at  the Chanel counter in Dillards.  When I went for my 2nd tube I was told it was being discontinued.  I bought all I could find as far away as Serbia.  There are no exact dups for it.  

PSX_20170315_012824 (2).jpg

Honored Contributor

Wow, there is one listed on eBay.  Wonder how old it is.  I've got plenty of glosses I'm happy with now and won't be spending $65 on it.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't limit myself to just one or the other. I consider high-end to be brands like Dior or Chanel - that price range and I don't use them. I use a lot of Clinique because of my very sensitive skin, but consider that to be mid-priced in the "better" brands. There are also so-called drug store brands that I love and work well for me, e.g. Almay (no fragrance) foundation because it's light weight and moisturizing, and also their eye shadows that last all day for me. Clinique's Chubby Stick blush is wonderful but isn't either drug-store or high-end IMO.

For moisturizers, I can only use fragrance free, so I rely on Kiehl's, Clinique, CeraVe and Neutrogena....none are high-end, but I don't consider them inexpensive either.

So, what I consider to be true high-end is not where I'll spend my money. Very inexpensive drug-store is not something I'm normally interested in either.

Trusted Contributor
I find that there is a big difference with drugstore lipsticks and higher end. The drugstore lipsticks don't wear well, and the color doesn't look as dimensional or sophisticated. I think there's a big difference in the overall look. The same with eyeshadows. I can definitely tell a difference in the wear and "look". The drugstore brands also tend to bother my eyes.
I do buy eyebrow gel/color drugstore. Can't tell a difference.