Honored Contributor

I've used both but have found that high end aren't necessarily superior in quality. 

One thing that women get hooked on with "sales consultants" is that you need to buy the entire product line for best results.  Not true.

Years ago a friend commented that the real reason she bought high end was the nicer packaging, not the product.  

Honored Contributor

I have always known drug stores to accept returns of opened cosmetics.

CVS, Rite Aid, Target, Walgreens, Walmart all let you return open or unopened items including cosmetics within 30 days of receipt.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

I use both. I am liking Neutrogena cleanser lately.  I like Benefit blushes. I use IT CC cream and the concealer for just red or sun spots.  I use Caudalie for moisturizer. I love Urban Decay eye pencils. Lash Princess mascara as well as Definicils from Lancome.  I actually have an eye shadow palette from LA Girls that has the best neutrals. I'm not paying $50 for an eye shadow palette. I like Cerave eye cream and their PM retinol. Both hubby and I have derms that recommend CeraVe products. I love MAC lipsticks. There's so many brands out there now and they keep coming out with new ones and discontinuing the ones we love. Very overwhelming Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I tried Mally's eye shadow sticks-did they used to be called glimmer sticks? I loved them but don't know if they are the same now.

I tried IT illuminating foundation powder long ago and it just looked white and sparkly on me. I don't think it did what they showed on QVC.

I bought a Trish McEvoy mascara from the counter because my friend was selling it. I just remember it was expensive and nothing special.

I never liked Revlon. One of the best best drugstore I've ever tried was Maybelline masacara and their eye shadows. Also Wet and Wild, their  colors, so nice in glosses, eye shadows.

The best mascara I've ever tried was the one I heard about here long ago- one sold at Walgreens that started with a J? I can't remember the name! It was the most inexpensive makeup ever-$2-3 dollars. I haven't seen it the past few years. Does anyone remember? It sold out quickly once others started discovering it.It was sold in a separate little display away from the others.

My daughter gave me a smashbox concealer. I had never used concealer before and thought this can't possible do anything. But wow, it really did. 

I think like anything else there can be good and bad from both more expensive or "highend" to drugstore. I believe a lot of the cost in what we buy is in marketing, not all of course. Some are worth more but not all are.

Just like so many of the clothes on QVC are sold for higher but we can find the same quality for much less elsewhere.

Now I don't go to stores a lot and don't wear as much makeup or often plus anything I do get I want it to be cruelty free and humane and not made in China.

PS-I saw a waitress once and her lipstick was so beautiful-this gorgeous red. She said it was Mac. So years ago my daughter and I went to the mall to a Mac store and I tried a lot of them. They just did not look good on me. I think a lot turn orange on me and the colors were all leaning towards warm.They are so pretty on others. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I tried Mally's eye shadow sticks-did they used to be called glimmer sticks? I loved them but don't know if they are the same now.

I tried IT illuminating foundation powder long ago and it just looked white and sparkly on me. I don't think it did what they showed on QVC.

I bought a Trish McEvoy mascara from the counter because my friend was selling it. I just remember it was expensive and nothing special.

I never liked Revlon. One of the best best drugstore I've ever tried was Maybelline masacara and their eye shadows. Also Wet and Wild, their  colors, so nice in glosses, eye shadows.

The best mascara I've ever tried was the one I heard about here long ago- one sold at Walgreens that started with a J? I can't remember the name! It was the most inexpensive makeup ever-$2-3 dollars. I haven't seen it the past few years. Does anyone remember? It sold out quickly once others started discovering it.It was sold in a separate little display away from the others.

My daughter gave me a smashbox concealer. I had never used concealer before and thought this can't possible do anything. But wow, it really did. 

I think like anything else there can be good and bad from both more expensive or "highend" to drugstore. I believe a lot of the cost in what we buy is in marketing, not all of course. Some are worth more but not all are.

Just like so many of the clothes on QVC are sold for higher but we can find the same quality for much less elsewhere.

Now I don't go to stores a lot and don't wear as much makeup or often plus anything I do get I want it to be cruelty free and humane and not made in China.

PS-I saw a waitress once and her lipstick was so beautiful-this gorgeous red. She said it was Mac. So years ago my daughter and I went to the mall to a Mac store and I tried a lot of them. They just did not look good on me. I think a lot turn orange on me and the colors were all leaning towards warm.They are so pretty on others. 

@on the bay I believe it was called Jordana.

Esteemed Contributor

I never found drug store powder anything to be of good quality. It feels scratchy. Same for some high end things...even Hourglass & CT.

Not sure whether price is a factor with finely milled & silky powders or not. I certainly haven't tried all the brands of everything. So my input is more limited.

Colors/shades (like in lipstick, or eye cosmetics) seem to be much more flattering in the upper price range. So, I guess drug store is out for those, too.

There is not too much I use in drug store things. I would if they were true performers. Exactly what you said, @Shanus  - performance and quality.

Honored Contributor

Very interesting question----I think, for me, I never knew about the high end costmetics/skincare mostly because it was never highly advertised when I was a pup--I remember Yardley and Maybelline and Covergirl and Revlon being advertised so thats what I bought --also didn't have the $$ to spend on much else--then I found the shopping channels in the mid 80's and it was like a light went off--was exposed to way more expensive things. I don't buy much from the drugstores anymore altho I did use ROC for awhile and really liked it. I have alot from many brands--both in make up and skincare. Can't say I have a fave, but am using PTR and Kiehls and Skinn mostly at the moment.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse,

Yes, thank you! I think that's it.

I looked it up and read their business closed in Dec 2020. They stated a thank you to customers and to support their "sister" brand Milani. I've tried some of that too and like it.

Super Contributor
@Texasmouse, never tried their mascara, but Jordana made fabulous eye pencils. They were made in West Germany, don’t know about the mascara. Purchased at CVS and it’s predecessor, Longs (Nor Cal).
Honored Contributor

I've never understood why drugstore colors couldn't be as alluring as highend and lux brands.  I can understand better, more costly formulas, but not colors.  Talking mainly about eyeshadow colors.

I have and like two drugstore products.  The NYX Bare (something) concealer and Loreal 24 hour bronzer (powder).  I've returned 3 or 4 others that were recommended.

There is a definite difference imo, especially in skincare.

I used drugstore till 3 years ago when I wandered thru the baby Sephora in our JCP.  

I prefer fragrance in my products.  I used to love Neutrogena's blue HydroBoost but it's no longer enough for my uber dry face.

Highend and luxury.