Contributor

Re: HEP (Healthy Eating Program) – August 2014

Trying to eat healthier and looking at adding smoothies to my menus and was wondering if you ladies have good advice on the best tool to use. Do any of you have a favorite that works good?
Trusted Contributor

On 8/5/2014 just bee said:
On 8/4/2014 CherryHugs said:

When I need something sweet I eat a little dark chocolate or Skinny Cow frozen fudgesicle! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

That's an excellent idea, too. So many times we crave something and we avoid eating what we crave, then eat more of something else instead of just satisfying that initial craving. I've always believed a craving is your body's way of telling you you're lacking something.

Since childhood I've had wild cravings for hot peppers so I keep a jar in the fridge at all times. When I hear that little voice -- "you need a pepper" -- I get up, open the fridge, and pop a pepper. I used to sit and eat a whole jar. Now I find that one or two will satisfy the craving.

Dark chocolate is good for you and it's rich enough that you don't have to eat a lot to get that sense of satisfaction. I don't believe in banishing certain foods or treats from our homes. Unless a person has a serious addiction, we should be able to have our favorites close at hand. But we need to exercise some control. If we can't, then we have to give them up cold turkey or find substitutes.

There are items I won't buy because if they're in the house I'll choose them over a better alternative. Like, do I want to eat this Granny Smith apple or do I want this giant bag of Kettle potato chips? It's that crunch I'm craving and Kettle chips just have a great crunch. Delicious, but evil.

Kettle Brand now has popcorn, I found one bag left of salt & pepper at Walmart's & scarfed it up...I haven't ripped it open yet.....they have sea salt, white cheddar, maple bacon, sriracha & salt/pepper

Not sure that healthy, but wanted to share Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

On 8/5/2014 applebrowndebbie said: Trying to eat healthier and looking at adding smoothies to my menus and was wondering if you ladies have good advice on the best tool to use. Do any of you have a favorite that works good?
I am currently using an old kitchenaid blender I had from years ago. However, they are no longer available nor would I recommend one. It does an okay job. I hear the new ones are decent, along side the ninja blenders. I am currently thinking of getting a vitamix. I never thought I would consider one because its insane money for a blender but I started making green smoothies and I need something that really pulverizes the ingredients. I tasted a sample that came out of a vitamix at Costcos and it was really smooth. The ninja kitchen system, the single serves, did a great job but I was not thrilled with the big blender it came with. So, I am currently considering a vitamix. But it really depends on the kinds of smoothies you want to make. Youtube has a lot of comparisons. Check some out before you buy.

I know this isnt very helpful since I dont really have one to recommend, but after a little research, I think I am going with a vitamix since I am incorporating green smoothies and I want a smooth consistency. Everything I caught youtube or otherwise seems to use a vitamix. They are all over the place. I do wish they were a bit less expensive.

Honored Contributor

On 8/5/2014 applebrowndebbie said: Trying to eat healthier and looking at adding smoothies to my menus and was wondering if you ladies have good advice on the best tool to use. Do any of you have a favorite that works good?

Vitamix!!!

I wouldn't be without it. I use it more for soups than smoothies.

Respected Contributor

On 8/6/2014 lolakimono said:

Vitamix!!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}{#emotions_dlg.tt1}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I wouldn't be without it. I use it more for soups than smoothies.

I know, everyone seems to love their vitamix, lol. That is what I figured too, it would be great for quick soups. I get so lazy with soups otherwise, even though I love them. Can I ask which one you have? I am considering the 6300. They are doing roadshows at Costcos near me beginning tomorrow.
Honored Contributor

Every now and then you have to eat something truly awful to remind yourself how many items sold in the grocery store should be avoided.

I did something the other day... I don't know what I was thinking... but I had to pick up something at the grocery store and there were displays for the new Lay's flavors. First of all, I don't eat Lay's potato chips. The flavor and texture are bad to begin with. The chips are like wet tissue that has been left to dry and harden.

The four flavors are wasabi ginger, mango salsa, bacon mac & cheese, and cappuccino. The store didn't have the wasabi ginger so I bought the other three. I guess I thought it would be fun to try something that sounded so horrid -- kinda like eating a grilled roach on a stick.

I think I'd rather have the grilled roach.

I brought them to work and warned everyone. Not only are these inedible -- they're criminal. I figured if anyone was curious they could try them and save themselves the cost of buying these and discovering they'd made a terrible financial decision.

But it makes a person wonder how items like these get made and marketed. And who buys them and eats them? I mean, I bought them but they couldn't be eaten. But somebody out there is eating them.

Different strokes I guess. On another thread someone wrote that she would never eat a Brussels sprout. I can't have Thanksgiving without them. In fact, I had roasted sprouts for dinner last night.

For those of you who are headed to the grocery store this week: Be careful out there.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor

Hi just bee,

I did buy two of those chips, the wasabi ginger & the mango salsa. My daughter has the cappichino, ugh, they were horrible & the bag is still full in this house of junk food eaters.

The bacon cheddar cheese mac has been sold out for a while. My daughter said it had a very chemical taste to it & stained the fingers orange.

I like Kettle cooked chips. The wasabi ginger is interesting. Spicy. Have yet to try the mango salsa which is the ripple style.

Cape Cod Chips had a russet potato chip that was different & the store couldn't keep them stocked. Then they stopped carrying them & I called the company & they said they couldn't buy russet potatoes from their supplier anymore. I found another company that makes them & they are my favorite type of chip. I like to eat them every now & then.

Thanks for the warning, just too late for me.

Honored Contributor

On 8/6/2014 aprilskies said: I know, everyone seems to love their vitamix, lol. That is what I figured too, it would be great for quick soups. I get so lazy with soups otherwise, even though I love them. Can I ask which one you have? I am considering the 6300. They are doing roadshows at Costcos near me beginning tomorrow.

I bought mine about 4 years ago when it was a TSV. It might be this one. K37654

Vitamix Creations GC 48oz. 13-in-1 Variable Speed Blender

Honored Contributor

Tonight's dinner-

large baby spinach salad topped with:

broccoli slaw

matchstick carrots

julienned red pepper

garbanzos

black olives

cashews

celery

asparagus (diced into wheels)

and a wee bit of turkey

with homemade dressing- raspberry balsamic vinegar and olive oil

Sounds just like the kind of dinner that Brenda Watson would like!

Honored Contributor

On 8/10/2014 patheticcosmetics said:

Hi just bee,

I did buy two of those chips, the wasabi ginger & the mango salsa. My daughter has the cappichino, ugh, they were horrible & the bag is still full in this house of junk food eaters.

The bacon cheddar cheese mac has been sold out for a while. My daughter said it had a very chemical taste to it & stained the fingers orange.

I like Kettle cooked chips. The wasabi ginger is interesting. Spicy. Have yet to try the mango salsa which is the ripple style.

Cape Cod Chips had a russet potato chip that was different & the store couldn't keep them stocked. Then they stopped carrying them & I called the company & they said they couldn't buy russet potatoes from their supplier anymore. I found another company that makes them & they are my favorite type of chip. I like to eat them every now & then.

Thanks for the warning, just too late for me.

Avoid the mango salsa -- it tastes like vomit. No lie.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~