Honored Contributor

Re: HEP (Healthy Eating Program) – August 2014

OK ladies, here they are!

This shows two regular sized cans. The important thing, after rinsing, is to dry well with a paper towel. Then I put them into a mixing bowl, coated with assorted spices/herbs, and roasted on parchment paper at 400 degrees. I started with 20 minutes, then gave them a stir, another 10 minutes, another stir, and the final 10 minutes. You can adjust for your desired crispiness.

Honored Contributor

On 8/2/2014 lolakimono said:

OK ladies, here they are!

This shows two regular sized cans. The important thing, after rinsing, is to dry well with a paper towel. Then I put them into a mixing bowl, coated with assorted spices/herbs, and roasted on parchment paper at 400 degrees. I started with 20 minutes, then gave them a stir, another 10 minutes, another stir, and the final 10 minutes. You can adjust for your desired crispiness.

Perfect! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

And now I know what I can do with all that parchment paper in the drawer!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I just ate a pretty decent pluot. Of course I just washed it down with a beer -- but it was a light beer.

Clearly I need to do a little more work on HEP.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

These are the spicy crab cucumber appetizers. I'm off now to the BBQ.

Honored Contributor

On 8/2/2014 lolakimono said:

These are the spicy crab cucumber appetizers. I'm off now to the BBQ. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Oh, noms! I've got to kill this craving for crab once and for all! But it won't be tonight. I'm off to buy Italian sausage and bell peppers.

Respected Contributor

I would of never thought to put cucumber with crab. Interesting combo..
Respected Contributor

On 8/2/2014 goldenretriever said:

I always try to eat healthy & organic foods (I try to avoid any GMO foods at all cost).

Over the years, one of the quickest, most noticeable improvement in my body has come from fresh carrot juice (I have a juicer). I buy organic juicing carrots at my local health food store (25 lbs. for $19.99), & add an apple to the mix.

I can see the results in my skin, & feel the results in more energy. I think juicing has been one of the best things I've done for my body.

I also drink 2-3 cups of Newman's Own Organic Black Tea daily (Vitacost).

Good luck to all of you...you're doing a good thing for yourself!

I just bought a juicer recently and have made some green juices already. They were good. I bought a big bag of carrots and was wondering what to pair them with, apple it is. A lot of the juices are paired with apples or pears it seems. I guess they pair well with the greens. So far, I have been juicing greens I knew were gonna go bad soon so I am looking forward to making some specific recipes that I have been collecting lately. I think anything goes but I want them to be tasty too. I dont eat only organic but I juice only organic unless it is something I can peel. I am really looking forward to increased energy. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Esteemed Contributor

With all that beatnik lingo and the subject of healthy eating, I'm in!

Only, what would you say to someone who's blown it already? I started out perfect (as usual) but then I spotted fresh corn in the market and cooked that this evening.

It really tasted starchy, but really good, cause I only make that once a year. Then I remembered that you should eat starches alone. That's all I had anyway, but I got full as a little oinker. Then I had dessert! Rolos!

I just came back from my usual walk, but it felt like I was lumbering the whole time. Starch again on the menu tomorrow (pasta, we just can't get away from those Sunday lunches cause my DH would go on a warpath). I'll eat much more sauce than I do of the pasta, am I being good?

Honored Contributor

On 8/2/2014 Harpa said:

With all that beatnik lingo and the subject of healthy eating, I'm in!

Only, what would you say to someone who's blown it already? I started out perfect (as usual) but then I spotted fresh corn in the market and cooked that this evening.

It really tasted starchy, but really good, cause I only make that once a year. Then I remembered that you should eat starches alone. That's all I had anyway, but I got full as a little oinker. Then I had dessert! Rolos!

I just came back from my usual walk, but it felt like I was lumbering the whole time. Starch again on the menu tomorrow (pasta, we just can't get away from those Sunday lunches cause my DH would go on a warpath). I'll eat much more sauce than I do of the pasta, am I being good?

My motto is "all carbs, all the time." I admire those who can give them up, but if I don't have bread and pasta, what's the point?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm with Sophia Loren.

Honored Contributor

Truth be told, I don't eat a lot of spaghetti. It's linguine for me!