Honored Contributor

HEP (Healthy Eating Program) – August 2014

Hey, all you HEPcats and HEPdogs! We had discussed making the Healthy Eating thread a monthly jam session, so I just went ahead and did a little improvisation. This is an invite to our crazy crib where you can come and break it down! I say we go 18 karat on this and really swing. If healthy eating’s not your bag, no problem. But if it is, I dig.

It’s cool, I’m booted, let’s jump!

/></p>

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: HEP (Healthy Eating Program) – August 2014

It's the beginning of a new month so what better time to get on board with this. I actually did something I've never done before: I finished a bottle of multivitamins (Centrum Silver).

Now if I can just remember that I have a bottle of fish oil in the fridge.

Our search for edible produce continues! I found some decent plums. What's tasting good in your area?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I'm making roasted chickpeas as our "snack" for today's BBQ, along with a cucumber crab appetizer I read about on the boards.

Honored Contributor

On 8/2/2014 lolakimono said:

I'm making roasted chickpeas as our "snack" for today's BBQ, along with a cucumber crab appetizer I read about on the boards.

Oh, I am all about the garbanzo! A coworker is in San Francisco right now and it has me craving crab. It's one thing I miss about living in the Bay Area. I told him to grab some sourdough bread, crab, a bottle of wine, and go have a picnic in the park.

I'd kill for some good seafood right now. I mean, we have plenty of sushi here in the high desert, but I always have to ask: Where is it coming from?

Respected Contributor

I keep buying a can to roast them and never seem to get to it. I just bought another can yesterday so I must try them.
Honored Contributor

On 8/2/2014 aprilskies said:

I keep buying a can to roast them and never seem to get to it. I just bought another can yesterday so I must try them.

Same here -- and I don't know why I haven't done it. Lolakimono, what can you tell us that will get us off the stick?

Respected Contributor

I have a fridge full of veggies so now its a matter of organizing them. But not yet because I am now at the farm picking some fresh tomatoes. I love tomato salads with onions, hot peppers, feta cheese, black olives, olive oil and delis italian bread. My mouth is watering. I am looking to make this month a healthy month.
Respected Contributor

I always try to eat healthy & organic foods (I try to avoid any GMO foods at all cost).

Over the years, one of the quickest, most noticeable improvement in my body has come from fresh carrot juice (I have a juicer). I buy organic juicing carrots at my local health food store (25 lbs. for $19.99), & add an apple to the mix.

I can see the results in my skin, & feel the results in more energy. I think juicing has been one of the best things I've done for my body.

I also drink 2-3 cups of Newman's Own Organic Black Tea daily (Vitacost).

Good luck to all of you...you're doing a good thing for yourself!

Respected Contributor

On 8/2/2014 aprilskies said: I have a fridge full of veggies so now its a matter of organizing them. But not yet because I am now at the farm picking some fresh tomatoes. I love tomato salads with onions, hot peppers, feta cheese, black olives, olive oil and delis italian bread. My mouth is watering. I am looking to make this month a healthy month.

YUM!!!

Honored Contributor

On 8/2/2014 goldenretriever said:

I also drink 2-3 cups of Newman's Own Organic Black Tea daily (Vitacost).

I gave up coffee a few years ago and switched to sturdy British teas. Since I also participate on the ComPact thread, I'm putting off buying more tea until I get through all the stray bags I've collected.

I'm curious: How does the Newman tea measure up?