Contributor

Re: HELP ME! I am perimenopausal and I now have a......

It’s a bummer! The hair on top of my head is thinning drastically, and I am getting upper ip hair and sideburns, too. Gross. I try not to worry about it too much, and I use the Bliss Waxing Kit that is easy to use on these areas. I like the dark blue of their wax, easy to spot for removal.

Despite it all, I am happy to be 55 and climbing. In ten years, you’ll wish you were this age, so enjoy it! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Honored Contributor

I never really had a mustache, but I did notice that it seemed a little darker or fuzzier on my upper lip. I was nuts about it and went every month to have it waxed. After years of that expense and inconvenience, I decided to shave it with hubby's shave cream. I thought that might cause it to grow in heavier (old wives' tale), but it didn't. I never really see any fuzz, but I do it about once a month anyway just to feel secure about it. I have a colleague at work who is much younger than me, late 30s, who has a very prominent one and doesn't seem to know it. I'd rather shave once a month than walk around with a mustache and not know it.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I always thought that the change was a silly euphemism and then I went through it! When I see these early 40's late 30's women selling skincare and talking about their aging I always think to myself just wait until you're really aging! the facial hair I can get rid of its the changes in my skin thats really killing me. I'm not used to looking my age
Super Contributor

On 7/6/2014 Shopping_Mama said:

Yep, menopause is like puberty in reverse. Zits will come back, your memory will start slipping, you'll crave nothing but sugar, lose your mobility, start wetting your pants, and then you won't remember your own name anymore.

Aging is not for the weak.

You hit the nail on the head!!! I have never craved sugar like I do now. I almost never had zits but I do now and I know where every bathroom is in every store I go to. I can remember 20 years ago but not yesterday. As for mobility, my couch now s*cks me in.

I've been using an epilator for years now. I always had peach fuzz though. The epilator is AS Seen On TV called a wizzit for 19.95. Bets thing I ever bought. You can use a lightening cream on your upper lip. ASDM Beverly Hills has one that is very nice and is not very expensive.

Honored Contributor

The lady PA at my dermatologist's office who does all things with treating beauty problems says she uses a sharp razor on hers every few days. It will not thicken or become heavier.

Valued Contributor

Get yourself a magnifying mirror and choose any of the above suggestions - We're all different- I'm a brunette (well as long as I still color it- otherwise I'm 3/4's grey) --but the fuzz above my lip is not terribly noticeable and kinda of blonde actually -BUT I do notice that it's enough to make that area look lighter even when I wear makeup- so I have to use two shades to make it blend in- what a pain. ALSO I have one thicker dark brown-JUST ONE that grows out under my chin!! What fun peri and menopause is! Your hair on your head gets thinner and you find you don't have to shave your legs or underarms as much --mixed blessings!

Super Contributor

Isn't it sorta nice to find you're not anywhere near the only one with this fun? I didn't notice you mentioning your skin tone and lippy hair color. If the hair growth is dark maybe using skin lightening products are doing such a great job on your skin the hair appears to be more intense due to the contrast? I say this because I'm in your shoes. My skin is very light and even though the hair on my head is blonde these suckers growing on my lip & chin (another joy) look like giant black tree trunks when I look via my 12x mirror.

I'm going the laser hair removal route. When I had axillary lymph node removal, back in '98, I was told not to shave my underarm for possible infection reasons. Well, I did any way, had horrible, week-long hospital stays...then discovered laser hair removal (cut to angels singing). It was the second best thing I ever did. I loved the outcome so much I did my legs, the BEST THING EVER!!! I haven't shaved since 2000 and my smooth as silk parts don't miss the razor one bit.

I'm looking at a few places right now to laser off my facial hair. I can't wait to stop yanking out tree trunks from my face!!

Contributor

Nair facial hair remover cream works well for this. Once per week spread this light pink cream over your lip and on your chin and leave on for five to eight minutes...wipe off with a soft wet face cloth and you are good to go. I even carfully use under my eyebrows for stray hairs. It leaves my skin so smooth and hair free!
Honored Contributor

I'm a brunette and my facial hair is blonde - except for the occasional cat whiskers that come in every color. I pluck them, then wonder if that's why my balance has been a little off.

For the softer fur, I use a nose and ear trimmer and "shave" my entire face. Takes off all the fuzz and leaves a smooth "canvas" for paint.

I figure when I retire I may do something edgy like shave my head and braid my chin.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

On 7/6/2014 Shopping_Mama said:

Yep, menopause is like puberty in reverse. Zits will come back, your memory will start slipping, you'll crave nothing but sugar, lose your mobility, start wetting your pants, and then you won't remember your own name anymore.

Aging is not for the weak.

And your eyebrows show up on your chin. Hot flashes, confusion, weight gain or loss, thinning hair, ....... it just goes on and on.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."