Honored Contributor

HELP ! A MAKEUP QUESTION FOR YOU!!!

[ Edited ]

When these 🤬 masks come off, I think I'd like to try a red lip. I've swiped, tried some on for a few years and toyed with the idea. Does anyone have a good beginner shade to try? 

As a reminder, extremely fair skin, green eyes, silver hair...still medium brown brows. I'm figuring I can do the darker lip balanced w/ the darker brows...certainly no color in between. My glasses frames are clear acrylic (no color there either).

Looking forward to suggestions. Will keep a list to try when we get sprung. 

Contributor

Re: HELP ! A MAKEUP QUESTION FOR YOU!!!

I love red lipstick.  I have a variety of shades from different brands, but my favorite is a lip whip from Beauty Bakerie.  Their Mon Cherie Matte Lip Whip stays on all day and is a perfect blue-based red.  Makes your teeth look very white, too!

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus  I wear very bold red lips with my super fair complexion.  Due to lip sensitivities I pretty much exclusively wear Chanel lipstick.  My beloved sister, Magpie, wanted red lips and shied away until one trip to Paris.  I put her in a red Rouge Coco Flash which is a lip shine.  Sometimes going to a strong red lip color is easy via a shine as it helps the wearer get accustomed to the lip color.  It's still a lipstick, it's not a lip-gloss, it's simply a lighter hand of color.  I checked the website and the red I selected for my Magpie is no longer for sale otherwise I'd give you a color name to start with.  Wish I could take you shopping as I'm the queen of getting people comfy with red lips and helping them select shades.  It's so much fun.  Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

If anyone knows the red lip, it's the French woman. That's when I got the itch. I went into Bon Marche for assistance and was hard pressed to find someone to understand my French with a bad accent. I did, on my own, purchase a Lancôme red that I wore during the duration of our stay in Paris. I no longer felt like a touriste. The SA was quite snotty when I asked for a red lipstick correcting me, "Non, Madame, ils a Rouge de Livres". Well, live and learn. 

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus  You probably won't like any of these 😄but here goes:

Ruby Rouge - Flower Beauty

Refined Ruby - L'Oreal

Envious (Gorgeous!) - Estée Lauder

Perfect Red - NYX 

Best Red - Milani (gorgeous blue base) Probably the prettiest with extremely fair skin and silver hair as you stated. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Valued Contributor

I  don’t buy a lot of IT cosmetics, but they have two red lipstiicks that I love...Ruby Slippers (bullet) and Inspiring Red (liquid lipstick).  Both are beautiful.  

I am very fair with a neutral  (leaning cool) skin tone. I have dark brown eyes and my medium brown hair is graying.  I often get compliments when I wear either of these two lip colors.

- just a side note, I don’t find either to be especially long wearing; however, they are so beautiful, I don’t mind reapplying

Respected Contributor

I have similar coloring, although my hair has lighened to a light pewter greyw/silver streaks which I love with my very fair skin.  Red lip - YES!  

Envious by Estee Lauder - pure true delicious beautiful red

368 "Rose Lancome"  L'Absolu Rouge by Lancome - a blue red that is my everyday go-to

As a makeup artist you will "know" the right shade immediately, and how to balance your other makeup to make it work.  Done correctly you will get nothing but compliments!!! 

Check out Chanel in person when you can; lots of beautiful reds and great quality lipstick.

I didn't wear red until my hair lightened and turned its present lovely shading of grey/silver/pewter from my former mousey brown, and wish I had tried red lips sooner!  We tend to get braver as we get older??

Honored Contributor

@author wrote:

I have similar coloring, although my hair has lighened to a light pewter greyw/silver streaks which I love with my very fair skin.  Red lip - YES!  

Envious by Estee Lauder - pure true delicious beautiful red

368 "Rose Lancome"  L'Absolu Rouge by Lancome - a blue red that is my everyday go-to

As a makeup artist you will "know" the right shade immediately, and how to balance your other makeup to make it work.  Done correctly you will get nothing but compliments!!! 

Check out Chanel in person when you can; lots of beautiful reds and great quality lipstick.

I didn't wear red until my hair lightened and turned its present lovely shading of grey/silver/pewter from my former mousey brown, and wish I had tried red lips sooner!  We tend to get braver as we get older??

@author   Thanks for your suggestions. Couldn't wear a red lip when my hair was dark...it just looked harsh with my other coloring...think Joan Crawford-ish. Now, think I'm ready to give it a go even if after applying, I blot a few times. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus   I think you would look fabulous with a red lip, from blotted and soft or with a bit of pot gloss over after blotting, to full-on creamy red!  It definitely was a progression for me, until I now feel comfortable with a red lip and in public!

I stick with red that leans toward the blue-red but can also do fire engine - Tatcha Kyoto red I thought was too orange at first, but I wear it now and then as it is a lovely lipstick, goes on like a dream and lasts well.  I like the color too.  

Let us lipstick lovers know how you do.....!  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@author Here's my input..it does not seem like red but when applied properly with lip liner first and them lipstick the color is a vibrant glossy red....

1. MAC mahogony lipliner applied only on the outer part of the lips

2. MAC Bronze Shimmer on the lips

For some reason it works perfectly and I have had many complements and asks for what color and make of lipstick I am wearing.  Evem the ULTA customer service person complemented the color.