Respected Contributor

HD TV very hard on faces with foundation don't walk too close to TV

In my area we have had same newcasters on for 30 plus years.  They have aged of course and the foundation seems to go in the lines and looks horrible.  With HD tv if you get close to the TV the lines of foundation looks like big cracks in their skin.  It looks horrible.  Also pores stand out.  You would think someone could come up with a foundation that does not sink into lines and wrinkles and emphasize them.  I have worn foundation all my life but as I have gotten old I have put the brakes on a lot of it.  It can really make you look older.  The only foundation I have found that does not do that is Josie Matchmaker foundation but the bottles I ordered smell very chemical and I hate to use it. It smells like it has gone bad. 

Honored Contributor

Re: HD TV very hard on faces with foundation don't walk too close to TV

@chiclet   I think life is very hard on faces over 50 - remember hearing a dermatologist say our faces age more between 50 and 55 than in all the 50 years before that.  

If your newscasters have been around over 30 years, they are certainly older than 55, and just like the men who are, we should be allowed to show that aging.  Foundation often exacerbates our issues instead of concealing them - on HD for sure.

Honored Contributor

@chiclet @millieshops 

In my opinion, faces with this issue would look best on camera if they are extremely moisturized?

Don't know if this would work or not, but would certainly look much better.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

I've noticed that about the Q hosts too. If you get too close to the TV,  you can see all kinds of flaws. Plus, you can really see how much makeup they really use for the camera. HD TV is not very flattering to anyone, regardless of age.

Honored Contributor

People on tv usually wear a lot more makeup than they or we would off tv.  I really don't care if HD shows nooks and crannies.  If we're lucky, we'll all live to an old age.

Honored Contributor

I have three old TV's pre-HD in storage, only about 10 years old if anyone is interested in paying a premium price so the newscasters won't look old.

Honored Contributor

Some TV shows use filters on their people.

Valued Contributor

I have always been under the impression that news media and people in television needed facial makeup in order to not appear pale and washed out. They may not have much of a choice. What I have noticed lately in women is the excessive use of eye makeup. The heavy dark eye liner and thick dark false eye lashes gives the appearance of 2 black holes in the face. These women look eerily demonic. This look has spread to younger women everywhere now. Of course it's always a choice to look as one wishes. I stopped wearing makeup 25 years ago when I started working in my first hospital for the job, allergy and contact lens so who am I to say anything. It seems to me that less is more, but I have seen some wacky people.

Esteemed Contributor

There are a few Q hostesses who are guilty as charged when it comes to the dark eye makeup. 

Honored Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

I've noticed that about the Q hosts too. If you get too close to the TV,  you can see all kinds of flaws. Plus, you can really see how much makeup they really use for the camera. HD TV is not very flattering to anyone, regardless of age.

@Buffalogal47   Have you noticed that the hosts, models  and vendors, especially selling makeup, have lately come so close to the cameras, their faces almost fill up the screen? Now, that's not a good look in HD. I think it is a fairly new way of shooting but definitely not flatering.