Honored Contributor

Re: HAVE YOU EVER CHEATED ON HAIRSTYIST?

@Katcat1 wrote:

.No, I don't cheat, I just move on and find a new stylist.  It's difficult to find a really good stylist.  They need to have the talent in them.  Anyone can cut hair going to school, etc  but like I said, it is the talent within the person that sets them apart from the rest.  That is why I refuse to pay $65 for a haircut.  

@Katcat1  I don’t mind paying more for a really good haircut. If the stylist has the talent, they are worth the price IMO. 

Trusted Contributor

Cheat on your hairstylist, come on mow there is no such thing!  As a paying customer and my head of hair, it is my choice to go where I want, when I want.  I spend $100+ on a haircut so  you better believe if I’m not happy or want a change, then I move on.  I had the same stylist for 4 years and was no longer happy with her because she was inconsistent, never gave me the same haircut and would always cut too much off.  When I had something important to attend, i.e. wedding, vacation, gala, business function etc I could never trust that I would get the style I wanted.  I tried someone else at the same salon and love him.   I have never had a bad cut, he is consistent.  He has been my stylist now for 9 years now.  BTW, Isee my old stylist when I go into the salon but I don’t care.  She wouldn’t have someone cut her hair if she wasn’t happy with them.  

Honored Contributor

@Shanus I know exactly what you mean. 

When I was younger and still living in New York, I had a brilliant and talented hair stylist that I went to for years.  But she was also temperamental in her own business dealings, and changed salon locations at least once a year.  She rented space from the salon's owners, and had running disagreements with the different owners. 

Nevertheless, I followed her to her various new spots -- she was just that good!  But one year I had finally had it; I could no longer weigh my great hair with travelling all over the 5 boroughs following her.

I went to a new hairdresser without telling her.  I was very disappointed, so much so that I needed to get my hair done again, quickly.  When I sat back down in her chair, I didn't even have to tell her that I "saw someone else."  She was heartbroken for my hair (yes, it was just that dramatic!).   Her reaction made me laugh out loud -- it was all about my hair, not about nearly losing a long-time client.  She completely understood about me being fed up with the different locations, and even re-did my hair for free.

In the end, she was the one that left -- she moved out of state and bought her own salon in Atlanta.  She's doing very well to this day.

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@Shanus I know exactly what you mean. 

When I was younger and still living in New York, I had a brilliant and talented hair stylist that I went to for years.  But she was also temperamental in her own business dealings, and changed salon locations at least once a year.  She rented space from the salon's owners, and had running disagreements with the different owners. 

Nevertheless, I followed her to her various new spots -- she was just that good!  But one year I had finally had it; I could no longer weigh my great hair with travelling all over the 5 boroughs following her.

I went to a new hairdresser without telling her.  I was very disappointed, so much so that I needed to get my hair done again, quickly.  When I sat back down in her chair, I didn't even have to tell her that I "saw someone else."  She was heartbroken for my hair (yes, it was just that dramatic!).   Her reaction made me laugh out loud -- it was all about my hair, not about nearly losing a long-time client.  She completely understood about me being fed up with the different locations, and even re-did my hair for free.

In the end, she was the one that left -- she moved out of state and bought her own salon in Atlanta.  She's doing very well to this day.

@Caaareful Shopper  Even though I’m opinionated and don’t take cwap from others, I’ll avoid confrontation at all costs.

The short haircut I got this week (strayed from my regular stylist) was because she was good getting me through the transition to grey hair, but every darn time I asked for just a trim (since trying to grow out layers), I’d leave w/ short hair....again. It takes months to get back to “point A”. The cuts sometimes were also not even, with thicker areas, etc.

Not one to confront her, just easier to find someone recommended by friend who does a great short haircut. If, for some reason, I go back to other stylist or run into her in mall, etc., I’ll just tell her I had it cut while on vacation. Yep. Told you I was 🐓!

Honored Contributor

The stylist I'm currently going to is very inconsistant. She is bipolar and at times that shows on my hair.I wish I could find someone else.

I'm always amazed at the women who sit there and tell the stylist all their personal business. My stylist & I both grew up on farms so we discuss our childhoods a lot. Also her husband breeds , sells, raises and boards horses so she tells me about them - colts & fillys etc. She'll often have pictures. He breeds mostly appaloosas and they are so beautiful.

Honored Contributor

Anyone experiencing having to pay extra for a blow dry after cut and color? Seems to be something more common in my area salons. My other stylist started charging $25 extra to have hair dried. Hello? Don’t they want to dry it to see if cut even? Color came out OK?

What’s up w/ this?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No matter how much you might like your old stylist and have become friendly with him/her at the end of the day it's your hair that you have to look at each time you look in the mirror.

If your hair is only okay with the old stylist and you like what you see with someone new why not got back to them?  Who wants only okay hair?

ETA:  Yes I changed stylists over a year ago.  I had been going to a very nice girl but really wasn't happy with my hair.  It wasn't terrible but it wasn't great....my new stylist is fabulous!

Respected Contributor

I've never undertstood this.  It's your hair and your money.  Take it wherever you want and what works for you.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  The "trim" dilemma -- don't get me started.  Smiley Very Happy

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

No matter how much you might like your old stylist and have become friendly with him/her at the end of the day it's your hair that you have to look at each time you look in the mirror.

If your hair is only okay with the old stylist and you like what you see with someone new why not got back to them?  Who wants only okay hair?

ETA:  Yes I changed stylists over a year ago.  I had been going to a very nice girl but really wasn't happy with my hair.  It wasn't terrible but it wasn't great....my new stylist is fabulous!

@haddon9  I’ve also learned not too get too “chummy” or have personal conversations about family or friends. It helps to make the split.