Honored Contributor

HAVE A LITTLE TIME FOR: ASK @SHANUS

Not sure if anyone has questions for ASK @Shanus. Available before 1st appt. around noon. 

Contributor

Re: HAVE A LITTLE TIME FOR: ASK @SHANUS

Good morning ☀️ 

What lipsticks do u think look best on a person with blue eyes and dirty blonde hair. I was described as a "Vivid Summer" years ago when my colors were done.

Thanks!

Super Contributor

Thank you for helping us!  I am turning 70 in March - YIKES - do you have any tips or tricks or colors for older women applying makeup?  I quit putting eyeliner on the bottom and use cream blush and shadows---no powder at all on my face.  Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

Hi @Shanus - have always had an issue with powder blushes fading on me after a little while and cream blushes barely last a few minutes so don't even bother with those.

Any hints on how to stop blush from fading?  I do use a primer and foundation before blush.  Don't usually use setting spray and wondered if that would help.

Thanks!

Regular Contributor

I am considering facial hair removal. I am not interested in shaving my face like men shave. Can you advise on methods, effectiveness and ease of use? Should I go to salon for laser treatment? Does electrolysis still exist? At home laser appliances? It seems the older I get the more hair I see on the jaw area. I use magnifying mirror to apply makeup, especially for eyebrows, and the facial hair seems more pronounced. 

Respected Contributor

@pietook wrote:

Thank you for helping us!  I am turning 70 in March - YIKES - do you have any tips or tricks or colors for older women applying makeup?  I quit putting eyeliner on the bottom and use cream blush and shadows---no powder at all on my face.  Thanks again!

You can find many, many videos on YouTube that demonstrate how to apply makeup, and also tips for all age groups. It's so helpful to actually see it applied.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

I have one question:  How are you doing @Shanus and how's it going?  Woman Very Happy  I hope life is good!  

Honored Contributor

@grandmatobe wrote:

Good morning ☀️ 

What lipsticks do u think look best on a person with blue eyes and dirty blonde hair. I was described as a "Vivid Summer" years ago when my colors were done.

Thanks!

@grandmatobe   This is a kind of an obtuse answer, but just not coloring directs lipstick choices. I take into consideration whether you like brights or neutrals, your age and "wrinkles" yet...may want to stay away from shades that emphasize lines around the mouth, etc. Some women enjoy a lot of eye makeup which would lead me to lighter more neutral lipsticks. The other is true, too. If you don't wear much on your eyes, you can go with a more bright lip color.

I would say, in general, with your coloring, true lipstick shades w/o any brown would be good choices. Also if fair skin, you may want to try a clear, blue based pink. If you have a warmer skin tone, you can venture into a more into the warm reds,  pinks and oranges. 

Honored Contributor

@pietook wrote:

@pietook   Happy Birthday in advance and 70 doesn't have to be "YIKES"....I'm 73 and have really pared down my color cosmetics and changed application techniques. No powder or matte products is the right way to go. Try to lighten up on the amount of coverage and go for a foundation (if you use one) with light coverage and cover any redness with concealer instead.

Be sure to conceal any darkness under your eyes with a corrector so less concealer is needed. Try using a cream shadow in a more neutral tone...lighter on the lid brings that lid foreward and adds brightness to the face. I use my lip color as my blush so that it gives my face unity. 

I have two concealers. One concealer is my foundation shade and the other a bit lighter. I've recently gone a shade deeper on my undereye concealer so I don't have bright circles undermy eyes, but a shade that blends in better and closer to my complexion. So, a half sahde lighter than your complexion instead of the full shade recommended when we were younger. 

Choose whether you want eyes or lips to be the focus, not both. Turning 70 just means "less is more" with makeup. You want people to see you, not your makeup...achieved maybe with the same products, but with a lighter hand in application. It's also very important  to blend. I use a damp sponge at the end of makeup to press concealer, foundation, blush INTO the skin rather than it looking like the makeup is sitting ON the skin.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@JudyL wrote:

Hi @Shanus - have always had an issue with powder blushes fading on me after a little while and cream blushes barely last a few minutes so don't even bother with those.

Any hints on how to stop blush from fading?  I do use a primer and foundation before blush.  Don't usually use setting spray and wondered if that would help.

Thanks!

@JudyL   Hi to you, too. Blush is always an issue. Should I use cream or powder and what shade and where do I put it? It can fade if a cream blush or powder. I like a blush in cream and powder in the same shade and set the cream blush with the same shade in powder on top. When all finished, use a setting spray on a damp sponge and press the blush into your skin...be sure not to swipe it, just press it in place.

After makeup, but BEFORE mascara or you'll have a mess, you can then spray again, if you like, with a setting mist...keeping it a foot away so you don't end up with droplettes on your face. LOL  ***I see many women spray way too close and this works in the reverse causing makeup to run or smear.