Esteemed Contributor

HAS ANYONE WITH WHITE HAIR EVER USED

Malibu professional crystal gel to remove hardwater and product build up?  It is in the white packet.  I have used the one in the purple packet, but not this particular one.

The reason I am asking is that it says not recommended for white, non-pigmented hair unless immediately followed with a perm or color service.  I don't plan to do either one of those.  I just want to get the yellow out from our well water. 

The purple packet said not to use on white hair with heat.  I used it and had no problem.  I just don't want to end up with something funky.

TIA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Valued Contributor

Re: HAS ANYONE WITH WHITE HAIR EVER USED

@tends2dogs

I don't have white hair , but dark brown with lots of silver in it . You have to be very careful with white/silver hair . years ago my favorite magazine "MORE"  had an article on how many oils used in treatments can actually stain hair .One women had a streak of yellow that never came out . Anytime I am interested in trying a shampoo or styling product I always email the company to ask if it can be used on white/silver hair .  If something is not recommended , I wouldn't take a chance even if you did not have a problem . Happy Thanksgiving 

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs

Why don't you try Clairol' Silver Lights or Jhirmak shampoo and conditioner.  

Both are great for silver, white or even brassy blonde to take out unwanted yellow. 

Jhirmak has a full range of products ... and they are all available at Walgreen's ... and  imagine most other drugstores (or Amazon).

Contributor

lemons ... have hard, rusty water and have always used lemons ... let it sit for 15 minutes or so, wash normal (or wen) works perfect

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@tends2dogs

Both are great for silver, white or even brassy blonde to take out unwanted yellow. 

Jhirmak has a full range of products ... and they are all available at Walgreen's ... and  imagine most other drugstores (or Amazon).

@ALRATIBA  I have used every shampoo for white including the ones you mentioned above.  They whiten the white, but don't remove yellow, at least not on mine. Smiley Sad

Thanks for answering, though. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@aasmomvls wrote:

lemons ... have hard, rusty water and have always used lemons ... let it sit for 15 minutes or so, wash normal (or wen) works perfect

@aasmomvls  Which Wen do you recommend?  I am also open to trying the lemons.  Do you have white or blonde hair?

Esteemed Contributor

@marmarbrooklyn wrote:

@tends2dogs

I don't have white hair , but dark brown with lots of silver in it . You have to be very careful with white/silver hair . years ago my favorite magazine "MORE"  had an article on how many oils used in treatments can actually stain hair .One women had a streak of yellow that never came out . Anytime I am interested in trying a shampoo or styling product I always email the company to ask if it can be used on white/silver hair .  If something is not recommended , I wouldn't take a chance even if you did not have a problem . Happy Thanksgiving 

@marmarbrooklyn  I will try to email Malibu.  I doubt if I will get answer this weekend, but I don't want to take a chance.  Good suggestion.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@tends2dogs

@ALRATIBA  I have used every shampoo for white including the ones you mentioned above.  They whiten the white, but don't remove yellow, at least not on mine. Smiley Sad

Thanks for answering, though. Smiley Happy

@tends2dogs

I just recalled when I lived on the LA area  in the early 70s ... trying to keep my lightened blonde hair from becomming brassy due to pollution and water.  I had forgotten how frustrating it was ... I ended up going back to my original brown for the duration in LA!

I just googled and there are a lot of methods explained ... 

Super Contributor

I had a lot of trouble with my white hair due to well wat...

I had a lot of trouble with my white hair due to well water. You might want to start first at going to a salon and having them do a treatment or bleach out the yellow.

I found using l'oreal everpure blond the best, after using all the silver ones like you have. My method is to use the conditioner or the shade reviving treatment  on clean or even Dry hair, plastic cap and use heat. like an old fashioned bonnet dryer or you can get a heat cap at sally's . for as long as you have time. then wash it out. with shampoo and condition. this keeps my white hair fabously white despite well water.

You might also try Manic Panic Virgin Snow and the treatment is more or less the same. good reviews on manic panic on makeupalley. 

it is a lot of time and effort. good luck.

Contributor

Curly white hair.  Tea tree always first.  Second depends on weather mix of bamboo, seasonal, lavender, fig.  Leave in is mood current is jasmine/peony.