Honored Contributor

Re: HANDS LOOKING OLD? MINE, TOO!!!

Not really but everything that goes on my face goes on my hands.  That  includes Glycolic Acid and once a week TO AHA BHA.  When my right hand is at rest, I have a couple of veins that are prominent when they didn't used to be.  I've been a lotion fanatic for years!  Don't wash dishes or work in the yard.  Never thought about driving gloves except when it's realllly cold.  There have been a few times I've developed vertical ridges on my nails.  I'm sure I Googled it at the time but have forgotten what the cause was.  Probably diet related or a vitamin deficiency Smiley Sad  They haven't  had any ridges in quite awhile. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, my hands look like my mama's.  My last visit with her before she passed away, I was rubbing some lotion into her hands, being very gentle because she was so fragile.  I remember looking her in the eyes and smiling and said, "does that feel good mama?"  And she said, yes.  Then I couldn't hold back the tears any longer and said, "I love you with all my heart mama."  Wow, it's amazing the topics that can bring back such a wonderful memory.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Valued Contributor

@SurferWife ...  how blessed you are to have such a lovely memory of you and your Mom ...

Honored Contributor

Hands were the first place I noticed aging back when I was in my 50s:  brown spots and nail ridges.  So - I've been dealing with the issue for more than 20 years.  

I haven't noticed much difference in my hands over the past months.  I've kept up my usual routine.   

Always several coats of base/top coat under and over sheer pink polish solves the nail ridge issue.  I use the Sally Hansen base/top coat in the silver bottle.  Avon sheer pink polish.  

Before bed - brown spot reducer on backs of hands, Avon hand cream massaged around finger tips and cuticles. 

In the morning - I'l usually use some either Avon or Gold Bond firming cream on my hands.  

So far - so good.  I'm 78 (rapidly approaching 79) - I don't expect miracles.  

Esteemed Contributor

The only thing about my hands is that there is not instant snap back like there is in my face or on my arms (or elsewhere.)

I don't use a ton of products...the 12% glycolic body lotion from Alpha, and lots of times I massage an oil (any old kind) on cuticles.

One -- only 1 -- light brown spot. (I think that's from all the antioxys I take internally.)

Honored Contributor

@decaf wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Anyone ever hear of 'BAG BALM"?

@Shanus  I  just picked up a tin of Bag Balm on Saturday after my friend recommended I try it for a small patch of eczema I have behind my ear.  It just won't go away.  We'll see.  Have you tried it for any skin issues?  I'd love to hear if you or anyone else has used it.

@decaf   I love Bag Balm for rough elbows, heels, knees and cuticles. You just need a drop and warm it up between hands or fingers before using. 

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

Yes, my hands look like my mama's.  My last visit with her before she passed away, I was rubbing some lotion into her hands, being very gentle because she was so fragile.  I remember looking her in the eyes and smiling and said, "does that feel good mama?"  And she said, yes.  Then I couldn't hold back the tears any longer and said, "I love you with all my heart mama."  Wow, it's amazing the topics that can bring back such a wonderful memory.

@SurferWife   That's so touching. I remember when my Mom was in hospice and nearing the "end". I used to lotion her hands/arms too. She was kind of out of it, but always opened her eyes when I did that. Some memories are bittersweet.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa 

One -- only 1 -- light brown spot.

Me too but I have no idea what caused it since I avoid the sun like the plague.

Honored Contributor

I don't remember what it's called but a few years ago I bought some ointment that nursing mothers use.  It's in a purple tube.  I don't use it anymore but I think I bought it for my elbows

Honored Contributor

@fthunt 

I try not to show it but I'm so envious of people with long slender fingers.  Mine are short, like me, and now swollen with inflammation.