Valued Contributor

Re: HANDS LOOKING OLD? MINE, TOO!!!

My hands could use some help.  When I think of someone with beautiful hands, Joan Rivers comes to mind.

Respected Contributor

My hands are a mess too.  I wore gel nails for about 4 years and my nails are now a disaster and never recovered from the grinding they received.  I too now see my mother's hands when I look at mine.  Big veins too and arthritic joints abound.  My father had very ridged nails and mine are too.  I appreciate the info @Shanus and will incorporate those recommendations to my routine. Nice to discuss.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

I'm 72 and I don't like the way my hands look.  The veins show a lot more than they ever did.  I find using self tanner helps a lot cuz I'm very fair.  Tan helps to cover the white/pink hands with veins.  I have Mine Tan (from QVC) from YEARS ago.  It's a foam and I've found it's the easiest to use - with the mitt.  I use it on the hands and half way up the arms.  It's ok cuz I never wear sleeveless any more - usually 3/4 or elbow sleeves.  Keeping the nails looking nice also helps the appearance of the hands... to me, anyway.

Ain't getting old fun?  NOT!!!  Woman Wink

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Trusted Contributor

I have always hated my hands. I definitely have my mother's hands, bony, unattractive and very veiny.  Although my fingers are slender they are very bony where they bend (not knuckles). 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My hands look okay.  I have no age spots, but I do have a few small scars from cutting myself.  My hands don't look old, but they're not 20 year old hands either.  I never use creams on them and they aren't dry.   I guess I never think about them.

I remember looking at my father's hands when he was around 80.  He had the most beautiful hands.   He had the hands of a young man.  No spots or wrinkles..just smooth plump skin.

I didn't inherit his hands, that's for sure.  I remember that he used Corn Huskers lotion on them.  I had forgotten about that product until now.

Honored Contributor

Anyone ever hear of 'BAG BALM"?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have many facial and body issues, but at 68 I feel confident in saying I still lhave nice hands, and long, natural nails too. My hands are my best feature, so I feel good in saying it. I spent many years in the sun, but my hands have held up well, and no age spots to speak of. When i see some TV hosts selling jewlery, who are much younger than myself, I say my hands look so much better than theirs. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm 73 so I don't expect my hands to look like I'm younger. I don't think they look too bad, although my veins are more prominent (thinner skin in older people), a larger knuckle from arthritis and some wrinkling on the fingers. But - my hands are soft, and I think it helps that whatever creams go on my face, also goes on my hands. I've done that for years and I believe it has helped. I don't seek out the sun, but I don't hide from it either, and never would. I want and need the Vitamin D!

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus MOOOOO to you.....lol

Never tried it - never needed it.......but a friend swears by it for various things.

My hand look pretty good - long fingers and long nails....always polished  Been fortunate in that department.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

Anyone ever hear of 'BAG BALM"?

@Shanus  I  just picked up a tin of Bag Balm on Saturday after my friend recommended I try it for a small patch of eczema I have behind my ear.  It just won't go away.  We'll see.  Have you tried it for any skin issues?  I'd love to hear if you or anyone else has used it.