Respected Contributor

Re: HAIRCUT/TRIM ON WEDNESDAY

@Shanus   So sorry you had this experience with your stylist...but stylists are a dime a dozen out there..The way I look at it, one time cut wrong and you're out !!    Move on and you'll be happier !

Honored Contributor

Thanks, Ladies. Think I'm literally going to take "matters" in my own hands. After reading all replies, I'm not alone w/ bad experiences or wanting just a bit cut off and coming out w/ a bad and very expensive haircut. DH is going to hold the mirror and I have barber scissors, freshly sharpened. While I look in the mirror he's holding, the neckline hair wet and combed down, I'll cut 1/4" inch in length straight across and cancel my appointment. The worse thing to happen is it looks not too great straight, I'll wear it curly instead of straight until Iand find a stylist who knows what it means when I say "growing out layers, don't use a razor, only want the bottom trimmed, don't touch the sides until they're longer and I'm waiting for the sides to get longer before cutting the back too short". 

Respected Contributor

When I do find a great stylist, I never leave them!
Good luck, it can take awhile.
Honored Contributor

After many bad cuts this past year I left my hairdresser of 9+ years.

I was emotional to "break up" but best thing I ever did!  I would tell her please cut my hair as I asked, keep my color the same, etc. -- over time she "decided" what my style should be.  I was getting h/c every 3 weeks ...making her richer!  Then without any notice kept raising prices.

After much thought I changed stylist at same salon.  It's been 5 weeks since h/c and 7 weeks color/highlights and my hair still looks great!  I wear it short and textured/semi cropped with wispy bangs.  

This pic kinda is my cut and color only cut out more around ears :

12A59B00-153B-429B-8CB3-3F3A73CD9211.jpeg

Of course, my new stylist is using professional products (other didn't  I brought my own) and gave me awesome cut -- of course, more $$$ than my previous stylist but so worth it.

Funny thing -  I told my old stylist I was dissatisfied never seemed to phase her even when I told her I was changing.  She said "no hard feelings!". Maybe, we both were ready for a change!

Honored Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
When I do find a great stylist, I never leave them!
Good luck, it can take awhile.

@Brisky   After living in same city for 50 yrs., the stylists I go to either leave opening too far away, go up in price to a ridiculous amount, begin charging extra for drying hair before you leave salon, give hard sell to purchase products, salons get rundown and not kept clean, etc. I've been bouncing around every 5-10 years...same salon, different stylists or changing salons. I've almost gone through all we have in our smaller college town.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1    Yep, that's the photo I took in a year ago to get my short pixie. At that length, my hair doesn't curl & is wash and air dry, but not many style options. After a few months, I wanted a chin length, no layers bob...takes forever with all those short layers to grow out. One appt. w/ a stylist who cuts off too much and it puts me back 3-4 months of growth. Quite aggravating. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I feel your pain....I used this pic (for this post) my hair is a little more cropped.  Color is right thou.

I hope you find the "perfect" stylist to at least get your cut right.

I tried to grow mine out -- no patience!  I usually use some styling gel, quick blow dry and Kendra paste.  No fuss!

I'm so excited my appt is Friday!!!  I sure need it😉

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 Not me, but where my hair length has grown. Just back needs to even with sides.

21BE0AA2-89E8-4738-9AC7-37F9943EAB32.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I sometimes feel as though I am speaking a foreign language when I go to a salon!  I think I am speaking clearly and plainly but yet they don't seem to grasp what I want or maybe it's just because they have set ideas about what they want to do.  Beats me! Any how, I don't have anything complicated at all. A couple weeks ago I went in for a trim --- all over.  1/4 inch to 1/2 inch and no more.  My main concern was my bangs - which are worn full and straight across.  I tried to explain to her that I still wanted to wear them straight across but that I didn't want them to be as full and wanted to let some of them grow out so that my bangs would have a piecey (sp), much less full look. She said o.k., and did her thing.  She obviously did not understand what I wanted at all.  So, I understand how you feel!!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

After going through very short layers, after I specifically stating that I wanted to grow out the layers, I told another stylist to pretend there was a bowl on my head and to trim the bottom.  I seem to get the best understanding with 'the bowl'.