Respected Contributor

Re: HAIRCUT/TRIM ON WEDNESDAY

@Shanus   I always tell them half of the amount that I actually want taken off.  So if I'm thinking an inch, I tell them 1/2" and it's usually cut at least double of what I tell them, so it usually works out fine for me.

I tend to trim my own bangs in between haircuts, since I usually only go about every 6 months now.  

I figure it will always grow back, so I watch how they cut, and figure I can fix it myself if not what I want. 

I also have a fairly easy and fuss-free cut, just bangs and a long bob that goes just above my shoulders.  Easy to put up, or put in a pony tail if needed. 

I would consider another stylist BEFORE going to this one, seems like you've asked for what you want and she doesn't do what you ask.  AND you are paying for her service and skills - time to find someone else, you may be pleasantly surprised. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla i sort of have the same experience with my hair person. She does a good job, but i always need to be extra specific about how much i want off or it will be hard to see that i have had a cut. Besides, i like getting value out of a cut ( more off) so i dont have to get it cut so frequently.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus---oh shanus!!!! You need to bring your trusty ruler with you and BEFORE....she even gets near your hair---you need to make her look at what 1/4" is!!!!!! I went thru 2 horrible years of gawd -awful cuts from 5 stylists until I found the person I have now-----she is great--t!!!!

Respected Contributor

My stylist always says that she will cut a small amount and if I want more she will go back and cut some more off. She can’t do it the other way around. Also I show her the amount I want cut. For my money I would try to find a new stylist. Why be unhappy?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus     I quit going to get my hair cut and do it myself now.  I grew it long and wear it natural.. no dyes or colors. It is easy, looks great... no mistakes or worries. I can wear it back, up, and all kinds of ways.  I get complements all the time!

I use to wear a shorter hairstyle and I had to go get it trimmed about every 30 days... dreaded going. So much easier not worrying about that anymore now that I am in control of my hair.  Plus it saves me over a $100 a month!

Respected Contributor

I cut my own short hair too, love having control over the cut and style.  I've only goofed up once or twice, and get compliments all the time. 

I watched and learned while stylist was cutting it, and always had to trim it better when I got home, or wait until it "grew out" so decided to give it a whirl doing it myself. As it has changed with aging, greying, thinning, I've changed the style many times over the years, but always a short style.

I began this 25 years ago, have never looked back.....

Honored Contributor

@Shanus if your not getting your hair cut to your liking, I would look for another stylist. It seems like you have given her enough time to get it right, maybe it's time for a breakup.

Respected Contributor

I would show them with my fingers pinched together how much I wanted trimmed.  That worked for me better than saying inches.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  Yes, I have experienced the stylists with happy fingers.  What I really hate is getting a different style each time they cut your hair.  Now, I tell the stylist from the start that I want the same style cut.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Shanus I often go from pixie with many layers to a one length bob.

As I am growing out the top layer which is the shortest,  I often get the bottom layered because it doesn't matter. I even continue to have my "ears cut out" for a while.

I eventually want the top layer to be a certain length for the bob.  By the time the top and longest layer is where I want it to be, all my hair is at the same length on the bottom.  

Even if your hair is all shoulder length, the hair at the nape and around the ears is shorter than the hair that grows on the crown area.

As long as your hair dresser does not cut the very top layer any shorter, you should be okay.

Getting  frequent trims is to keep your hair looking as good as possible while growing out.  if you wear your hair short and do not color, perm, straighten or use chemicals on your hair, you won't have any split ends. Cutting does not make your hair grow faster or slower no matter what you do.  Hair grow is determined by your genes.

Hair naturally grows faster in the summer months.  The average growth for most people is 1/2 a month.  Mine grows faster than that.