Honored Contributor

OK, so I've been letting my pixie layers grow out for many months. I know it's said that frequent cuts keep split ends away and makes hair grow faster. I say BS to that. My stylist gets scissor happy and takes off inches instead of the 1/4" inch I asked for. I've been in twice in 6 mos. to get that back mullet piece cut even w/ the sides and told her "NO LAYERS". Yep, she layered the neckline, so had to start over growing that out. I've been trimming my own bangs.

So, Wednesday's appt. if she's not clear about that 1/4" & no layers...just want back closer length to sides to achieve one length bob...I'm jumping out of the chair. I don't care yet if it's even all way around. I need another few inches on sides before she can do that cut. When my hair gets to an awkward stage, I'm lucky that I can wear it curly and weird lengths is not an issue. Now the neckline is really too long.

Anyone else go to a haircut w/ photos and dread how much will actually be cut off?

Respected Contributor

Re: HAIRCUT/TRIM ON WEDNESDAY

@Shanus Maybe time to find another hair stylist. Heart

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   I hear you on your haircut struggles with stylists who kind of just don't listen to what we want. I've also taken pics in to stylists in my past, I'm convinced they just don't listen or get what we want to achieve. They more or less do what they want to do, many are scissor happy. We walk out looking nothing like what we thought we'd accomplish. Perhaps with your gilr, you just need to tell her, no cutting of the hair today. If this is the only reason you see her (because you don't get color on your hair), then my best adise would be, don't make an appointment until you really need one or want one - or maybe it's time to find someone else. That's a feat in itself though, finding a new place to go or a new stylist somewhere.

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

@Shanus Maybe time to find another hair stylist. Heart

I have to agree! 

I've been going to my current stylist for 5 years and it took some trial & error to find her. 

There are times when I let her cut a bit more than ususal but my hair grows fast and she always gives me a great cut!  Other times I will tell her to cut very little and she will keep it longer then.

You shouldn't have to fear your stylist not listening to you.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My hair is long and all one length, so when I go in for 2"-3" cut off, I always start by asking them what THEY consider to be 2"-3", before I let them start.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

OK, so I've been letting my pixie layers grow out for many months. I know it's said that frequent cuts keep split ends away and makes hair grow faster. I say BS to that. My stylist gets scissor happy and takes off inches instead of the 1/4" inch I asked for. I've been in twice in 6 mos. to get that back mullet piece cut even w/ the sides and told her "NO LAYERS". Yep, she layered the neckline, so had to start over growing that out. I've been trimming my own bangs.

So, Wednesday's appt. if she's not clear about that 1/4" & no layers...just want back closer length to sides to achieve one length bob...I'm jumping out of the chair. I don't care yet if it's even all way around. I need another few inches on sides before she can do that cut. When my hair gets to an awkward stage, I'm lucky that I can wear it curly and weird lengths is not an issue. Now the neckline is really too long.

Anyone else go to a haircut w/ photos and dread how much will actually be cut off?

No, right before she cuts, we have a discussion about how much comes off, and that's what she does.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

after going thru this with other stylists the new one i am going to finally knows how to cut hair! she actually listens too!  she takes a little off and asks if i want more off before she just goes and cuts it!!!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

If she starts doing it incorrectly, I would definitely get up and leave.  You can fix what she started, and find a new stylist....or trim it yourself in back, I do, not that hard at all.

Honored Contributor

Wish we could exchange stylist.

So many times I come home from getting "my hair cut" and my husband says "I thought you were getting your hair cut".

They will cut off 1/4 of an inch at most. And then they ask if I want my bangs trimmed. My bangs are past my eyes. And I say yes, and they trim them 1/4 of an inch. I say you can cut more off and it is like they are afraid to cut anymore off.

I have fine thin hair, so I like to wear it layered. But last Tuesday I actually trimmed some of my own hair on the sides of my head. I never did that before. And I actually like it better than when I came back from the hairdresser last time. I no longer have wisps of hair going in every direction.

And I have switched salons and hairdressers. I wish I could get a consistent good haircut from the same stylist. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

if you are dreading a haircut

it's time to find a new stylist

I wouldn't go back