Honored Contributor

HAIR, SKIN & NAILS SUPPLEMENTS

I know that any supplement like this requires about 3 months to show results.  It takes approximately that long for the nail beds where nutrients are derived to grow out to the edge of nails.   

Might take longer for hair, but I'm just speculating here.  

I've been looking at these supplements, and always thought one of the most important ingredients was silica, but I don't see much in them.  Biotin seems to be the key ingredient for this.

So ....  what formulas have you tried?  Also, did any single ingredient supplements help?

Looking for success stories and recommendations ...TIA!  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: HAIR, SKIN & NAILS SUPPLEMENTS

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I know that any supplement like this requires about 3 months to show results.  It takes approximately that long for the nail beds where nutrients are derived to grow out to the edge of nails.   

Might take longer for hair, but I'm just speculating here.  

I've been looking at these supplements, and always thought one of the most important ingredients was silica, but I don't see much in them.  Biotin seems to be the key ingredient for this.

So ....  what formulas have you tried?  Also, did any single ingredient supplements help?

Looking for success stories and recommendations ...TIA!  Woman Happy

@Tinkrbl44     Omega 3 has hardened my nails,  and my hair grows faster.   I've been taking it for about 2 years. 

However, I have also taken 10,000 mg of Biotin...for about half a century...didn't seem to do much, but I was also afraid to stop (!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Like @Desertdi 

I have taken Omega 3 for dozens of years.

I have also taken Biotin 10,000 for over 8 years.

My hair loss is due to Hashimoto/Thyroid....neither of those have helped at all, but I have also been afraid to stop for fear it would get even worse....but my nails are good!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bamboo silica extract makes my hair and nails grow faster. I buy it from amazon. It's not expensive at all. Builds bone density, too. I have the numbers to prove that part for real.

Silica is the basic element needed in collagen production. Without silica, collagen levels drop, bones, hair and nails get weak/brittle. Your bones are almost entirely made up of collagen...think about that.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee , If i remember correctly ,you take powder , what do you think of Swanson capsules?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I took Lessman's formula.  Did nothing for me except give me indigestion.  I book large doses of biotin for nails for a couple of years and it also did nothing.  I'm convinced if it's not in your genes, you're not going to have great nails despite what you do.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

@SilleeMee , If i remember correctly ,you take powder , what do you think of Swanson capsules?

@goldensrbest 

Generally whenever you purchase a powdered supplement in capsule form you end up paying a lot more for it. But sometimes you need the capsule to help control dosage and also from getting overwhelmed from the unpleasant taste of a particular supp. In the case of silica, however, neither dosage or flavor aren't anything significant to warrant paying for the caps. Just put some powdered silica supp into your food or beverage and take it that way. No need to pay extra for the caps of any brand.

Sponsored Ad - Organic Bamboo Extract Powder, 8 Ounce (1 Year Supply), Rich in Silica and Minerals, Supports Healthy Skin,...

You can do many things with that powder. Brush your teeth with it, sprinkle some into cleaners/bath gels for exfoliation. If you absolutely cannot stand that then use it to clean your sinks with it...LOL!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 - I tried taking Biotin and it gave me horrible headaches.  Tried the Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides powder.  Was putting one scoop in a cup of coffee every morning and seemed to be doing fine with it.  Then I started getting joint pain, stopped and pain went away; started up again and pain returned after a few days.  So instead of every day, I cut it down to 3 times a week.  Seem ok with that and at my hair appt last weekend, my stylist noticed a difference in my hair - she said it felt heathier and stronger - and my nails are stronger.   Will continue with it as long as I can tolerate the 3 times a week.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I took Lessman's formula.  Did nothing for me except give me indigestion.  I book large doses of biotin for nails for a couple of years and it also did nothing.  I'm convinced if it's not in your genes, you're not going to have great nails despite what you do.

I agree with Kachina. I've taken many different hair, skin, nails supplements, and none of them did one thing for me. I've also tried biotin, and other supplements that were suggested by a naturopath. None of them helped for any hair, skin, or nail issue. I believe it's genetics as well.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  All of my life I thought I would have to accept that God gave me soft weak nailbeds. In January 2022 when Andrew Lessman had a special on his Hair, Nails, and Skin supplement I took the plunge and purchased it. My expectations were low given the fact that everything I had ever tried (supplement or topical treatment) had failed. Well, I am pleased to report that 5 months later I can feel and see a difference in my fingernails and toenails.  I really don't have toenails, but what's there now looks more like a real toenail. My fingernails feel firm and actually grow enough that I have to trim them weekly. For me, this is a success!Blush  My hair is still fine and delicate, but there are fewer broken hairs in the comb and brush. I agree with @Kachina624 that most of what we get with nails and hair is genetic, so I am not expecting my hair to ever look like Cher's or to have nails that rival those fortunate enough to have those long strong nails as we see in nail product advertising.