Respected Contributor

Re: HAIR, SKIN & NAILS SUPPLEMENTS

i asked my doctor about Saw Palmetto and he said to go ahead and try it.  i always had a super thick head of hair and maybe a hint of a widow's peak but now i have a clearly outlined widows peak and i don't want it to get worse. Clearly part of this is the loss of Estrogen after Menopause.  Ugh we women just get clobbered with hormonal issues. When we're younger its the monthly bill, cramps, PMS and the whole 9.

i had to try something else because the Biotin/MSM was no longer working. All last summer my hair was falling out. This has been going on for years now. It started 2011 when i was on an HRT patch. suddenly my hair just fell out in clumps.  i started taking AL Hair/skin/nails ...later figured out it was the synthetic progesterone in the HRT patch that caused the first major shed of my hair. Before the first shed my hair was so thick the part in the hair wasnt visible.

Now i have not been on hormones for 8 yrs and stopped Biotin a year ago. My hair part was getting more noticeable.

Since starting Saw Palmetto my hair loss has definately decreased when washing my hair. But who knows, i get a big shed in the summer. so the jury is out until Sept..!

Honored Contributor

I'm tempted to try a bottle of silica capsules, probably with another nutrient ... I'm doing a little research and will see what looks good.  

Honored Contributor

I have been taking the silica in my coffee for about 1 year.  I am soon...well in the fall.... to have a bone scan and hoping this supplement has made a difference in my bone health.  I do not want to take a prescription drug.

My nails have never been strong, and I can say that the silica has done nothing for my nails and my hair is thick..always has been so I see no difference there either.  

Esteemed Contributor

I take supplements, but nothing specific for hair, skin or nails. Never took silica or biotin. I'm sure what I do take, though, as well as foods, contributes to the good condition of these.

If only I found a supplement to reverse gray hair! (Tried several.) The best I found was to take a tablespoon of black strap molasses. But that was so hard! Maybe I'll try again with just a teaspoon.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Along with my usual bamboo silica powder I've also started taking another hair supp called stinging nettle root extract. That one not only contains silica (not as much in it as bamboo) but it also contains other minerals which are healthy for hs&n. Been taking it for almost a year and it's not totally out of the question whether it works or not b/c I take so many other supps along with it...hard to say.

BulkSupplements.com Nettle Extract Powder - Nettle Leaf Powder (250 Grams - 8.8 oz)

Occasional Contributor

Sandylu, are there any side effects from Joyce Giraud pills?  I have been wanting to try them but worried about heart palpattations.  This is what happened when I tried Andrew Lessmans hair and nail pills.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

I take supplements, but nothing specific for hair, skin or nails. Never took silica or biotin. I'm sure what I do take, though, as well as foods, contributes to the good condition of these.

If only I found a supplement to reverse gray hair! (Tried several.) The best I found was to take a tablespoon of black strap molasses. But that was so hard! Maybe I'll try again with just a teaspoon.

@Harpa 

Not sure I understand why taking molasses would reverse grey hair. 

Who said it would ... and why?

Honored Contributor

@Coach Lover wrote:

Sandylu, are there any side effects from Joyce Giraud pills?  I have been wanting to try them but worried about heart palpattations.  This is what happened when I tried Andrew Lessmans hair and nail pills.

@Coach Lover 

Where you able to identify the culprit(s) for heart palpitations?  

Occasional Contributor

Yes, Stress was the cause.  Its been 1 and half years now and no palpitations since I decided that work will always be there but life can be cut short with stress.  Stress is a killer and not worth it.

I now take breaks and walk for 45 minutes a day and stop worring about work.  I am not wonder woman and the work will always be there.  I need to stay healthy for me, my husband and my family.

Honored Contributor

@Coach Lover wrote:

Yes, Stress was the cause.  Its been 1 and half years now and no palpitations since I decided that work will always be there but life can be cut short with stress.  Stress is a killer and not worth it.

I now take breaks and walk for 45 minutes a day and stop worring about work.  I am not wonder woman and the work will always be there.  I need to stay healthy for me, my husband and my family.

@Coach Lover 

Good for you!