Honored Contributor

Re: HAIR, SKIN & NAILS SUPPLEMENTS

@Sooner wrote:

I have tried many of those products including Lessman's and none of them did a thing.

@Sooner 

Ditto ... which is why I started this thread.  I assumed others had also experimented with different supplements and hoped someone would have come across something that actually helped ....   you never know.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@SilleeMee , I wonder if taking this could help with joints?

@goldensrbest 

I've read a couple times that since gelatin is part of our joint lubricant, taking gelatin will help that over time.  I have never tried it for joints, but it seems to be a sensible theory ....  maybe someone else here can address this.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@SilleeMee , I wonder if taking this could help with joints?

@goldensrbest 

I've read a couple times that since gelatin is part of our joint lubricant, taking gelatin will help that over time.  I have never tried it for joints, but it seems to be a sensible theory ....  maybe someone else here can address this.

Gelatin has the same molecular (amino acid) components as collagen. The only difference is gelatin's proteins molecules are broken up into smaller pieces than what collagen has.

Gelatin and silica are two different things. Gelatin is protein and silica is a mineral.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Swanson sells a 200 count of their own brand of a Gelatin and Silicon capsule, very low price. 

Respected Contributor

I have been taking Saw Palmetto gels for almost 3 months, for thinning hair.   I was having hormonal hair loss and was losing a ton of hair for months. Was doing a bit of research. Joyce Giraud added saw palmetto in one of her poos.

Now i'm losing only a few strands in the shower and i'm getting definate new growth at my hairline and my temple area.  On one side i have some bare spots that have filled in. i'm seeing about 1" which is normal growth at the rate of 1/2inch per month.     160mg Serenoa repens (saw palmetto berry)  standardized extract.  Not the high dosage tabs they sell for men. 

Valued Contributor

Hi.  I havent had time yet to read thru all these responses.. I apologize..

...   but wanted to give a "heads up."  My Doc, (who super grooves on Chemistry), warned me that the OTC "Hair, Skin & Nails" meds might possibly interfere with the thyroid function, (incl, or esp, if a person is taking thyroid meds. (which I am)).  I stopped taking these Hair, Skin & Nails then.

..  You may want to ask your Doc.

"Collagen" might be worth looking into also.

So far, Collagen seems to be complicated... still researching....

Feelings are simply human
How we deal with, ..or express those feelings .. is our choice
. ~ . Please be kind . ~ .

Honored Contributor

I always thought Saw Palmetto was just for men, so I have stayed away from it. 

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I always thought Saw Palmetto was just for men, so I have stayed away from it. 

I did too, @Shelbelle, but it turns out that it can benefit women as well in some ways.  

160 mg. of SP Extract seems to be sufficient.  It will interfere with oral contraceptives though, so our younger ladies need to be aware of that. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

LOL, Jean I dont think we have too many younger ladies on this thread!!! I think I am still going to stay away from it.

I have tried all else, now trying the supp from KAL. I dont expect my hair to regrow, but just hopefully to keep it from worsening  BTW, as bad as my hair is i have decent skin and great nails!!!

Honored Contributor

Saw palmetto supps contain a specific kind of plant sterol (hormone-like in nature) which inhibits a naturally occurring androgynous enzyme (a type of reductase) that converts testosterone into DHT hormone. DHT causes baldness by shrinking hair follicles and hair size eventually causing hair to fall out. Both men and women have DHT present but men have more of it than women b/c men have more testosterone to convert to DHT.