Esteemed Contributor

Re: HAIR, SKIN & NAILS SUPPLEMENTS

@SilleeMee wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@SilleeMee , If i remember correctly ,you take powder , what do you think of Swanson capsules?

@goldensrbest 

Generally whenever you purchase a powdered supplement in capsule form you end up paying a lot more for it. But sometimes you need the capsule to help control dosage and also from getting overwhelmed from the unpleasant taste of a particular supp. In the case of silica, however, neither dosage or flavor aren't anything significant to warrant paying for the caps. Just put some powdered silica supp into your food or beverage and take it that way. No need to pay extra for the caps of any brand.

Sponsored Ad - Organic Bamboo Extract Powder, 8 Ounce (1 Year Supply), Rich in Silica and Minerals, Supports Healthy Skin,...

You can do many things with that powder. Brush your teeth with it, sprinkle some into cleaners/bath gels for exfoliation. If you absolutely cannot stand that then use it to clean your sinks with it...LOL!

@SilleeMee 

Thanks for including the image and product name. Next time I order from Amazon I will look into this product. I like that I can just put it into my tea or water and drink it. I feel like I'm talking enough pills now, the thought of more does not excite me.

You are always so helpful w/ giving specifics and I really appreciate you share what works/doesn't work for you. Smiley Happy 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

I have tried too many to remember and none of them have worked.  I still have fine, thinning hair.  It's just the sad truth it's going to stay that way - or get worse.  :-(

Honored Contributor

You're welcome Woman Happy @kate2357 

Honored Contributor

I've given up on high doses of supplemental Biotin, although there is more than the daily value in my multivitamin and I eat at one hard boiled egg daily, sometimes two.  I take a grassfed hydrolyzed bovine liquid collagen supplement, an MSM supplement, and a Saw Palmetto supplement for hair, skin, joints, but my nails are only so-so.  I'm hard on them.  If I wasn't, they might look better.  I can't pinpoint one thing that's improved my hair, but believe its a combo of diet, supplements, my laser helmet, and hair peptides serum.

Valued Contributor

I tried many supplements but several years ago I tried Joyce Giraud. They are the best!!!!! My hair grows like crazy and is no longer thin. Everything she claims is true. I am 74 and have bleached, dyed, perm (years ago) and done everything I should not have done and I have great hair.

I swear by these

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44   I have been taking hair skin and nail formulas for years. Tried several brands...really no great results. I do think the collagen Peptide powder I have been taking for going on a year of  has helped my hair and skin. Just looks healthier in general. Many brands on the market....unflavored( what I like) or flavored. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@SilleeMee , If i remember correctly ,you take powder , what do you think of Swanson capsules?

@goldensrbest 

Generally whenever you purchase a powdered supplement in capsule form you end up paying a lot more for it. But sometimes you need the capsule to help control dosage and also from getting overwhelmed from the unpleasant taste of a particular supp. In the case of silica, however, neither dosage or flavor aren't anything significant to warrant paying for the caps. Just put some powdered silica supp into your food or beverage and take it that way. No need to pay extra for the caps of any brand.

Sponsored Ad - Organic Bamboo Extract Powder, 8 Ounce (1 Year Supply), Rich in Silica and Minerals, Supports Healthy Skin,...

You can do many things with that powder. Brush your teeth with it, sprinkle some into cleaners/bath gels for exfoliation. If you absolutely cannot stand that then use it to clean your sinks with it...LOL!

Shoot, I was all ready to order this until I read the ingredients.  Unfortunately, it contains maltodextrin.  That's a biggie that I avoid. 

Update - I found some capsules that are a pure - no fillers.  I'll give them a try. 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch @SilleeMee 

I have been taking the Vital Protein Collagen Peptides powder.  Don't see a difference between what the VP Collagen Peptides does and the Bamboo product.  They both seem to claim to do the same thing.  So my questions are, is one better than the other?  If so, how is one product different/better and why would one take one over the other?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JudyL wrote:

I have been taking the Vital Protein Collagen Peptides powder.  Don't see a difference between what the VP Collagen Peptides does and the Bamboo product.  They both seem to claim to do the same thing.  So my questions are, is one better than the other?  If so, how is one product different/better and why would one take one over the other?

@JudyL   I've read that powdered collagen doesn't absorb well or do much good.  It's manufactured at such high temperatures that the heat kills off the benefits.  But the VP is a popular brand and gets a lot of high ratings, so who knows what's true and what isn't?  Supposedly a collagen supplement is supposed to help with gut health, muscles, skin, joints, etc. besides hair and nails.  Not sure if the bamboo extract covers all of them.  Our daughter is getting married this fall and I'd love some pretty, natural nails so I'll give the bamboo extract a try, in addition to what else I take, and see what happens.  

Honored Contributor

@JudyL wrote:

@JudyL 

Collagen peptides are proteins. Bamboo powder is silica. Silica is what is needed to make collagen. Silica is a basic building substance which aids in almost anything that has to do with connective tissue in the body which is pretty much everything. Without silica there is no collagen formation in the body. Taking collagen supps can help but you still need silica.