Respected Contributor

HAD DERMATOLOGY APPT TODAY AT MAYO CLINIC ...

• Pre cancer again on face.  Have had basil cell on my body, but im clear this time.  YES I use sunscreen. 

Dr prescribed a cream for face only on the cancerous spot...because  refused biopsy,   I scar badly.  

Also, Trentinon. 25 cream for rest of face.   I may have a cyst on my face, because it came back again like a bad break out, but again I refused biopsy for now since I scar badly.  

Recommends laser on my face for a poc, and scar from a previous biopsy,  and said also will help with spots and pores.  Said do my hands too, I have a couple of spots.

Prescribed creams for dermatitis on my scalp and body, old story, long history with me.  I've had prescription creams for the last 10 years...ughhh. 

Asked about cleansers, and skincare products....Dr said use Cerave or Cetaphil since ill be using Trentinon,  which is drying.   Trent in place of retinol,  and to see their cosmetologist for further skincare, and laser. 

Again, use Vanicream products to bathe and moisturize.

Think Dr said they use ZO products,  or IS...not sure, but it's pricey...doubt I'll do it it.  I may go for treatment, (not products) but im going to look closer to me for a quality derm.  Not covered by insurance,  it's considered cosmetic, even though Dr did the biopsies and im scarred...I dont heal well.

Mayo is a 100 mile trip one way....care is phenomenal,  but it's ALOT on me right now.

Just wanted to share the recommendations. 

Honored Contributor

Re: HAD DERMATOLOGY APPT TODAY AT MAYO CLINIC ...

[ Edited ]

FYI, one of the major bloggers just released that Cetaphil has several carcinogens.  I'm done with it.

So very sorry to hear of your issue.  Praying.

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin That was a lot of information for you to absorb. I hope your treatment plan works perfectly for you. I am all about lasers since my successful eye procedure. Best of wishes.

Respected Contributor

Sometimes I wonder if there is any product that is actually safe to use! I still am using my Cerave moisturing cleanser my derm recommended.....keeping fingers crossed no one posts about it being bad also!

Trusted Contributor

@Dazlin  You are amazing, getting good treatment from great doctors but knowing what you can/can't endure, it's so good that at a certain age we ask good questions, get good advice but decide what's best for us ourselves.

I'm from the PNW & you wouldn't know it by looking at us but in the summer we have sun but it's not direct it's kind of filtered & we get sunburned, burnt, blistered, and skin cancer.  When I was young sunscreen really wasn't thought of so out in the weather, burnt, blistered, and again & again - we're paying for it now but we know when to say no.

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin. You sure have a lot to go through and decisions to make. I'm not sure what I would do in your situation. All I can offer is hope for a positive outcome. 

Trusted Contributor

A biopsy 25 yrs ago detected a squamous cell carcinoma on my nose. I had it done as soon as I realized the small growth wasn't going away. I'm so glad I had it done because Mohs surgery removed it in one pass. A follow up corrective laser treatment took care of any scar. It's like it never happened.

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin , best wishes to you.  My DH has issues like this.  He is a fly fisherman, hours on the river fishing salmon and trout.  He takes every precaution and has had Mohs surgery.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin   Sorry to hear all you're going through. I know it's a lot, but not having a biopsy done if the doc thinks it's needed can come back to bite you badly. A scar is way less threatening than skin cancer. 

My retin a is not covered by insurance either and really expensive. I think around $125, but you only need a pea size amount and in winter I can only use it 3 times a week...it lasts a very long time...maybe 9 months. 

Women here have also used Cetaphil and CeraVE. They're gentle cleansers and moisturizers if using tretinoin. If you've neveer used it, please check videos to see how to begin and stay with it and what to expect. I hope he also told you with tret, SPF is essential every day rain or shine. 

It sounds like you got good info and a thorough checkup. Good for you. Thanks for sharing.

Honored Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if there is any product that is actually safe to use! I still am using my Cerave moisturing cleanser my derm recommended.....keeping fingers crossed no one posts about it being bad also!

@Trailrun23   Eventually many products will be reported to have some harmful ingredients...even foods. My derm recommends CeraVe, Cetaphil and Vanicream and I'll take his word that they're safe.