Super Contributor

Re: Growing out a pixie haircut..

Hair grows 1/2"" per month. If you are trimming even half that it's going to take a very long time to grow it out. It's like you'll never save money by spending money!

Trusted Contributor

On 3/13/2015 seaside shopper said:

It appears that the motto here would be don't get a pixie! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

.......unless you really love short, layered cuts, in which case you'll be very happy with it.

Respected Contributor

I would use a strengthening shampoo to keep your ends strong and do not trim as much.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/13/2015 SoftRaindrops said:
On 3/13/2015 sfnative said:

I usually wear my hair a bit longer than a pixie cut, but can relate to your situation because I'm growing out my short cut because my stylist kept using those texturizing scissors on my wavy/culy hair, which made my hair go bonkers.

I'm trimming my bangs every 3-4 weeks and have actually worked with my husband in learning how to trim the back a bit - just a bit - and he's doing OK. Every time I asked my stylist to take off a bit, she took off 3/4."

When I posted here about my plight with those darn texturing scissors, one of the posters suggested letting my hair grow to just above shoulder length, so that comment actually has me going in that direction!

Good luck!

I think your husband trimming your hair sounds great! My husband keeps telling me the reason I am getting nowhere is that they are trimming too much and just want me back there in 6 weeks.

Thanks for the post.Smile

I agree with your husband. Stylists do have you trimming more often and I also always felt like they took more off than I told them to.

I've had a couple of times I was trying to grow out and I just try to be gentle with it, use products to try and prevent split ends, and try to go 3 months between trims.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

Thanks for all the great advice. I just trimmed my bangs and had my husband get rid of the mullet like hair in the back.It already looks better and a lot thicker in the back.

Now I will go 6 months before I touch any of the layers on the top.

Honored Contributor

If the OP has a good hairdresser. He/She should be able to advise her on how to get her hair done each time so as to look nice while growing it out.

No one here knows the OP's hair except the OP and the OP's hairdresser.

Respected Contributor

On 3/13/2015 annabellethecat said:

If the OP has a good hairdresser. He/She should be able to advise her on how to get her hair done each time so as to look nice while growing it out.

No one here knows the OP's hair except the OP and the OP's hairdresser.

That's just it...my hairdresser cuts off any new growth and that's why I can't seem to grow out this pixie. The advice I received here today helped me far more than my hairdresser. I have fine hair but a lot of it so I prefer a longer style. I have no options with a pixie cut. Thanks for your reply..
Respected Contributor

On 3/13/2015 GoodStuff said:
On 3/13/2015 seaside shopper said:

It appears that the motto here would be don't get a pixie! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

.......unless you really love short, layered cuts, in which case you'll be very happy with it.

I'm getting ready to go pixie again. Once the warm weather arrives I'm swimming every day and outside in the heat gardening, playing with my grandkids and going to endless sporting events. My hair is HOT and makes me miserable in the summer and it's to short right now for a pony tail.

Pixie, here I come

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Since hair grows on average 1/2" per month (about 6"/year), keep up with your regular trims but only have 1/8" taken off.

This will keep the ends healthy, yet allow a faster growing time.

Honored Contributor

I had my pixie/spiky haircut since the 80's! I thought I finally needed a change and decided to grow it out last winter. I dreaded it but it wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be. I just embraced every length and worked with it. I went in for regular trims and my stylist always sent me home with a whole new style for me to wear. I have an inverted bob now and like it. But I'm still a short hair gal at heart. I have her cut up the back pretty short but my sides and around my face are longer. I get it highlighted also. My dh is wild about my new longer do. Me? I think eventually I'll probably go back to my short spiky style! I really LOVE short hair.

"Pure Michigan"