Honored Contributor

Gripping Primers (like Milk Hydrogrip)

So, I would never wear any foundation or tint without proper hydrating and moisturizing skincare products under it and lastly a primer right before foundation/tint.  My go to primer is Hourglass.  I've tried some others I get as samples but nothing beats the Hourglass for me for a silky smooth primer.  I'm sure we all know how and why it works.  What I don't understand are the "grippy" primers like Milk's Hydrogrip that leave a sticky/tacky base for your foundation.  How does that work?  How does your makeup apply smoothly and evenly?  Since a painter's canvas and paint is often used as an example for makeup primer, let's use it for a grippy primer.  If you were to smear a tacky substance on a painter's canvas and try to paint over it, seems like you'd get varying amts of paint in different parts of your canvas...uneven, blotchy,  a ridge or patch of product that you'd have to work to smooth out.  More pigment in some areas than others.  Obviously I'm wrong since it's a very successful primer so would someone please 'splain it to me.  I would hate to know I'm missing out on something incredible in my makeup routine Smiley Wink  And surely there are some foundations that wouldn't work.  Can't see applying my Fenty powder foundation over a grippy primer!

Honored Contributor

Re: Gripping Primers (like Milk Hydrogrip)

@monicakm   I don't have an answer to your question, but I am sure someone will answer you....my question is about the primer you are using.

Currently I an using ELF primer, which I like, but I am always interested in trying a new product.  I took a look at the Hourglass primer...there are a couple to to pick from. Do you use the non color primer  or I also see there is a light correcting choice as well.  

Do you know if using a light correcting primer you have to pick the color for your skin color...I see there is a 'dim light' choice but no mention about skin color.  Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

You know, I have a sample and a mini of this primer in my possession and haven't tried it yet.  My understanding is that you dot it on and then allow it to warm to the temp of your skin first before spreading, and that ensures a more even application of the primer.

The people I've seen raving about it use liquid foundations.  If I wanted to try a powder foundation over it, I would definitely do it on a day I wasn't leaving my property.  lol

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Trusted Contributor

I've used that Milk primer and also the gripping one by CoverFx.  I like them both.  I don't use them on my nose though because I prefer to use a pore filling or oil control primer there.  I'm not exactly sure how they work, but they do make your makeup last longer.  I wouldn't use with a power foundation though.

It's funny, I have a ton of primers (I normally use two primers on different parts of my face) and the only one I ever returned with the Hourglass one.  I normally wouldn't have bothered but for over $50 it was worth returning!  I know tons of people love that primer, I just couldn't get it to work for me on any part of my face.

Super Contributor

I use the grippy CoverFX one & I like it. I use skin tints, light coverage stuff with mostly cream /gel blushes & bronzers (not powders) and it gives my skin like a glassy finish. I also am not one to wear makeup every day & I'm certainly not a touch up girl either so I like my makeup to stay put. I have lots of different primers but this is the only one with that glassy type finish. I am going to order the Milk one with their new spray when Sephora has their sale.  I also don't have much to say about the Hourglass one but I'm going to try it again. I have a sample of the Rare Beauty one to try. So much stuff so little face. Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I am currently shopping for a primer and just saw something that might interest you.  A blogger recommended Elf Jellypop as a dupe for the Milk Hydrogrip, in case you want to try it.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

The Hourglass primer I use comes in a frosted glass bottle and the product is white.  It's a liquid.  I don't know about the other two.  I wonder if they're new.  Hourglass is all about "light" in so many of their products but I've never bought them.

I let myself get talked into trying the Elf primer...two of them matter of fact.  A light pink solid and the grippy one in the mint colored tube.  "Dupes" are a myth LOL  I gave both to my mother.  I don't know if she uses them or not and I don't try "dupes" anymore.

Honored Contributor

Just got the minis size Milk Hydro Grip Primer.  I applied a bit on a small section of my face, let it dry and applied some Lancome Tiente Idole.  Certainly is different when you're used to a product like Hourglass.  Since it's mild, tomorrow's wear test won't be the deciding factor if it's a keeper or not but I'll be checking it thru out the day.  I can feel it on my face tho.  Feels a tad tight.  Guess just the difference between tacky vs silky.

Contributor

Thank you for discussing an interesting topic. I think the Hourglass Dimly Lit product that was brought up is their setting powder. I use the Dimly Lit to set my foundation.
Valued Contributor

Following this as I’ve never been able to get the grippy one to work either. I’m using Laura mercier’s primer with spf but I don’t think it really helps with longevity. The only thing I’ve used that’s has made a difference in longevity has been setting spray, either UD or MAC.