Honored Contributor

Re: Grey-haired ladies, is your hair healthier now?

Hasn’t it been proven that hair dye & bleach can enter your body through your scalp? You shouldn’t use hair bleach during pregnancy, right?

So women who consider themselves to be living healthy lives, checking labels on skin care/makeup, foods, worried about animal cruelty, etc. but then color their hair with artificial dyes full of chemicals....hummmm.

Honored Contributor

According to cancer.org, there is no indisputable, concrete evidence linking hair dyes to cancer in humans. As for those work with hair dyes on a regular basis:

People who work around hair dyes regularly as part of their jobs, such as hairdressers, stylists, and barbers, are likely to be exposed more than people who just dye their hair on occasion. Many of the concerns about hair dyes possibly causing cancer have focused on people who work with them.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/hair-dyes.html

So fascinating how we have to revisit this topic on what seems to be a monthly basis.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Hasn’t it been proven that hair dye & bleach can enter your body through your scalp? You shouldn’t use hair bleach during pregnancy, right?

So women who consider themselves to be living healthy lives, checking labels on skin care/makeup, foods, worried about animal cruelty, etc. but then color their hair with artificial dyes full of chemicals....hummmm.

@ShanusI asked my physician years ago about hair dye and she said none of the myths had ever been proven. During my pregnancies I had my hair highlighted where the dye never actually touched my scalp and she used foils.

Since I do not wear the color gray and never have, I would never allow my hair to be gray. Hair dye acts as an anti-depressant for me. I love waking up with shiny, blonde hair. It just makes me happy......

Esteemed Contributor

My hair is much healthier since I stopped coloring it.  When I was growing out the gray, a friend told me that the gray part was so much shinier than the dyed portion (which was very dull looking).  My hair really sparkles now.  My hairdresser even remarked how much my hair sparkles. I like it much better gray.  I know it’s not for everyone but for me it turned out to be a good decision. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love my salt or silver and pepper.Some gray hair has a yellow tinge, mine does not. I was wearing dark brown wigs. I stop dying my hear  over 10 years ago, dark brown. About  2  months ago I had my son cut my Afro in a mohawk style, the back  of my hair  comes to a nice 'V' point. I drew a 3 dimensional picture, and he cut it exactly.  I have gotten tons of compliments from friends and strangers.

Also Lady stop me  in the grocery store and  told me I had class from my jewelry to my hair, her comment "You look good from your hair to your jewelry. I look 10 ten year younger, I must say.

My son is not a barber, He has been cutting his  own hair since he was a teenager, he's now in his thirty, sometimes he cut his friends hair. He keeps my hair nice and trim. I do have to make a appointment, (SMILE) because  he is busy from being a Manager at the grocery store, church, etc, he and fiance do have lives.Smiley Very Happy

Wish I did this 10 years ago. Always worn my hair in a soft curly afro , but dyed it brown. Stop dying my hair, but started wearing buying wigs. No more.

Honored Contributor

Just thinking how funny it would be if men had a forum like this:

“Hey Fred, thinking of growing my beard back again. Should I do a full beard or maybe just a mustache?”

“George, thinking of cutting my hair. That long piece on top covers my bald spot if I comb it over and use Martha’s spray. What do you think?”

“Oh Bob, which nose hair trimmers would you purchase?”

Trusted Contributor

@tototwo Yes I am curious about the blue grey coming through.

You ladies keep making the decision seem easier.

I'm sure your hair looks gorgeous and maybe mine can too!

Trusted Contributor

@vermint That sounds like a great idea.

The heavy highlights sound cool and better for growing out.

Trusted Contributor

@Trinity11 This is exactly what I'm afraid of.

Trusted Contributor

@cotton4me This is what I'm hoping for.  My hair was so happy before dyeing.