Trusted Contributor

Grey-haired ladies, is your hair healthier now?

For the ladies who have stopped dyeing their hair.

Every four weeks out comes the Colorsilk brown.

So tired of the work to keep this going.

When I do let it go a little too long between coloring, parts of my hair grow out a really pretty blue - toned gray.

I'm wondering if, for those among us who have stopped coloring their hair, is it healthier than when dyeing?

I wish really that I had never started.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Grey-haired ladies, is your hair healthier now?

Bottom line, I dyed my hair since the age of 12.  My father was not all that happy.  When I got to be an adult and as a school teacher my kids used to peak in the door just to see what new color I have created for myself.  AND THEN MY HAIR JUST WOULD NOT DYE.  THE COLOR WOULD NOT TAKE.  So I went to a professional who did it for me.                            

Then I got vertigo (positional) and could no longer go backwards in a sink so I let it go.  And boy what a surprise.  My color resistant hair was actually silver white.  And the compliment keep coming.  It is my most "admired feature."  

I am very happy.  Solid, shiny hair, wash and go, no product.  Heredity at its best.  

Honored Contributor

When I was young I had beautiful dark auburn hair. It was striking. However, it started to grey at a young age, and I colored it - but you really can't dye red hair - there is no color that looks like real red hair.I had chemo and when my hair grew back in it was more white than red and I've never dyed it again even though I was only 34 then.

My hair now - at 69 - is pure white, shiny and healthy. It's been white longer than it was ever auburn.Ladies at the hair salon will ask the stylists if they can get their grey hair to be the color mine is, and the stylists just say no, only God makes that color hair.Barbara Bush white.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

No,although I am a natural blonde (toehead)  I colored my hair anyway.......I would do it when my hair became too soft and limp to gain some body.

My comment was ,It is time to ruin my hair ,again"

Now at 80 I have not colored it in 3 yrs and I have to say ,it was much ,much better when I colored it............lol

BTW, I see lots of really pretty grey or white hairs comming in on the top of my head and bangs, but the overall color is an awful dishwater,(mudgutter) color. The color of my moms hair that she always wanted to color but I kept telling her not to  because I loved her natural color...........lol

On me it's awful and gets very dry on the ends.....lol

But I am not gonna color it,I am curious to see what it becomes.......lol

Respected Contributor

I had the same feelings as you so I quit coloring a year and a half ago.  My hair is all white/grey now and I think my hair is healthier and thicker now. Plus the dyes would kind of burn my scalp and dry it out so my scalp is much happier too.   I’m really happy that I did it.  It’s freeing!

Trusted Contributor

@bonnielu

@itsmagic@MalteseMomma@151949

Yes these are all great reasons.

The scales are tipping!

Honored Contributor

I’m solid gray if I didn’t color my roots. Sometimes I’d like for it to grow out and be done with color and dyes.

Trusted Contributor

@OKPrincess It's kind of scary too.

I don't know if I'll do very well with the comments and attention that are sure to come my way.  People usually mean well,  but still.....

Honored Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl wrote:

@OKPrincess It's kind of scary too.

I don't know if I'll do very well with the comments and attention that are sure to come my way.  People usually mean well,  but still.....

What bothers me is my hair looking two toned until the color is completely gone. Good luck to all of us!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I began going grey at age 20 and I'm now in my early 30s. I wish I could just let coloring go but I'm too young and establishing my career so it's not possible. My dad has the most beautiful thick, shiny white hair that he has never dyed.

I get my hair from him so when the right time comes I won't dye my hair anymore. It's too much work and it's damaging especially highlights, which I only place on the top layers of my hair. 

I love salt and pepper but I see that won't be me at all. I should probably just embrace the all white since I'm learning from these forum that it's not that common. My hair grows really fast and in less than 2 weeks I have to color again but I wait as long as possible and use color wow in between. It's such a pain.

~Live with Intention~