Honored Contributor

I found this on several different sites:

Green eyes are rare

Within the ''light'' eyed population, the green eyes are outnumbered by the blue eyes. Green eyes are dominant over the blue eye colour but there are only very few people that carry the genes responsible for green eyes. Only 1-2% of the entire human population have green eyes.

<h2>Shades of green eyes</h2>
Green eyes can look very different. They can be very dark, almost brown. Sometimes they are very light: almost neon. It all depends on the amount and type of melanin inside the iris. If you have a lot of melanin, your eyes look darker and if you have only a tiny bit, your eyes tend to look very light (bright).

The light green eyes are most common in Iceland, The Netherlands, Scotland, Ireland, Estonia and Scandinavia. Dark green eyes can be find all over Europe, the US and even in Pakistan.
Super Contributor
My eyes are light true green, with a few brown flecks and a blue/gray rim around them... They look most like the very last picture on the eye chart, labeled Eden. I don't stick with a brand, but to emphasize green, purple is the color ...it can be very subtle. Then the second color to being out the green is ...green...again, go for subtle tones.
Super Contributor
On 7/15/2014 happy housewife said:

Only 2% of the worlds population actually have green eyes and they are all congregated here on the QVC BB - how odd is that!

BTW - the eye color that is most common is brown and second most common is hazel.

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}Cool

And all human beings (& most mammals) are born with blue eyes.

a cool FYI:

"The human eye is both beautiful and unique. Much like a fingerprint, each individual's eye color is specific only to them, with no others sharing the same shape, color and appearance. So what eye colors are the most common, and which are the rarest?"

Brown Eyes

Brown Eyes

Brown eyes are the most common eye color in the world with over 55% of the world's population having brown eyes. Brown eye color is a dominant genetic trait, and is created by the presence of melanin in the eye. Over fifty percent of the world's population has brown eyes, with nearly all individuals from Africa and Asia sharing brown eye color. Brown eyes are typically darker than other eye colors, and they may even appear black in certain individuals.

hazel eyes

Hazel eyes

Hazel eyes are similar to brown eyes, although they are typically lighter in color, and have more of a green-yellow tint. Hazel eyes have a higher concentration of melanin (pigment) around the eye's border, which can result in a multi-colored appearance that varies between copper and green depending on the lighting. Most people estimate that around 5-8% of the world's population has hazel colored eyes.

Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Blue eyes are genetically recessive, and therefore much less common worldwide. Blue eyes are formed by the absence of pigments in the eye, where the blue color is formed by the scattering of light as it's reflected off the iris. While blue eyes are less common than brown eyes, they are frequently found from nationalities located near the Baltic sea in northern Europe. It's estimated that approximately 8%of the world's population has blue eyes.

Green eyes

Green Eyes

Green eye color is often confused with hazel eye color, yet is entirely separate and distinct. Green eye color is the rarest color found around the world, and it is estimated that only around 2% of the world's population has green colored eyes. Green eye color is a result of a mild amount of pigmentation in the eye with a golden tint. When combined with the natural blue scattering of the eye, the colors mix to give a green appearance. Green eye color is most common in northern and central Europe, but can also be found in western Asian cultures on rare occasion.

Super Contributor
On 7/15/2014 LipstickDiva said:

All those eyeballs are freaking me out! {#emotions_dlg.scared}{#emotions_dlg.blink}

There, there... {{{LD}}}

I think they're beautiful (when depicted in the eye sockets, LOL), and have always wanted to look at a pair of eyes through my eye doc's thingy, the one she uses to check my own out. {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Super Contributor
On 7/15/2014 Sooner said:

Let's all go look up the Pantone matching color of our eyes now. . .

Heh.

Super Contributor
On 7/15/2014 LipstickDiva said:

I found this on several different sites:

Green eyes are rare

Within the ''light'' eyed population, the green eyes are outnumbered by the blue eyes. Green eyes are dominant over the blue eye colour but there are only very few people that carry the genes responsible for green eyes. Only 1-2% of the entire human population have green eyes.

<h2>Shades of green eyes</h2>
Green eyes can look very different. They can be very dark, almost brown. Sometimes they are very light: almost neon. It all depends on the amount and type of melanin inside the iris. If you have a lot of melanin, your eyes look darker and if you have only a tiny bit, your eyes tend to look very light (bright).

The light green eyes are most common in Iceland, The Netherlands, Scotland, Ireland, Estonia and Scandinavia. Dark green eyes can be find all over Europe, the US and even in Pakistan.

Thanks for sharing this fascinating and intriguing info. 8-)

Super Contributor
On 7/15/2014 happy housewife said:

Only 2% of the worlds population actually have green eyes and they are all congregated here on the QVC BB - how odd is that!

BTW - the eye color that is most common is brown and second most common is hazel.

Hi Happy Housewife,

The world is a very large place. However the QVC board servicing a population located predominantly in the United States is a much smaller pool that contains a much higher percentage of people with the right ancestry to have green eyes. So you can't extrapolate your factoid about the rarest eyecolor into a population with the demographics that have the highest incidence of the rarest color. Get it?

See Demographics below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_United_States

Honored Contributor

OR - it could simply be that many women who have hazel eyes say they have green eyes. Much more likely explanation.

Honored Contributor

Like a dog with a bone.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor
On 7/15/2014 suzyQ3 said:

Like a dog with a bone. Wink

But she's the resident know it all, so it must be so.{#emotions_dlg.tt1}