Regular Contributor

Green Cream Retinol product.

Sorry I made a mistake earlier on this topic.  Can anyone give me information as to its effectiveness versus Retin A and other retinol products.  Thanks so much

Respected Contributor

Re: Green Cream Retinol product.

DD goes to a dermatologist just got a script for retinol A I use over the counter of cream with that and told her be careful it may turn your skin red then after that my skin flakes. She said Mom you wash your face wait awhile because the Dr. said retinol A & water don't mix causes redness if the face is just washed. Who knew this? Dr. said just wait awhile then put the cream on. I don't understand what awhile is because I use it at night guess wash my face then wait for how long? I am going to try to wash my face 30 min before bed then use my cream & see what happens. I just learned this. 

Honored Contributor

This used to be a hot topic on the forum years ago. I never did try it.

The ingredients list ethanol as second ingredient. It says it's drying to the skin. It also enables products to penetrate the skin. I don't know that I would want ingredients in Green Cream to penetrate my skin. 

I put Green Cream in the search box above but none of the old posts showed up from years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I remember a time when almost every thread on this board was about Green Cream and all the miracles it worked.  I never used it myself, but I'm sure there are posters still around here who did.  Maybe one of them can help.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

I never used Green Cream, either, though it enjoyed a heyday here on the Board.

Was never researched by me, but am totally surprised about the ingredients!

Also surprising is that water is a listed first ingredient. I'm not sure what all skin may be reacting to if the face is dampened and then the Green Cream. And I think the % of retinol in Green Cream is offered in different strengths.

I may be one- (or few-) sided in this, (and it depends on the specific treatment of course....) but I don't think it is good that skin react with redness. So, anything harsh, to me, is a no-no.

A lower % of retinol (and with no otherwise drying ingredients) is my best choice. And it is always best to introduce it to your skin in very slow increments. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Retin-A is a Rx drug and is not retinol. Nothing otc compares to RA because RA is the ingredient (retinoic acid) used by the skin directly, whereas retinol goes into the skin and converts to the useable substance (retinoic acid). This conversion of retinol to retinoic acid can be affected by several factors so that makes a weaker treatment, less irritating one and slower to see results. Dollar for dollar you will spend more on retinol to get the same results as you would see by using Retin-A. In other words, you get your money's worth when using Retin-A in a relatively shorter period of time.

Comparing strengths:  1.0% retinol works about the same as 0.02% Retin-A. That is 50 times stronger. You can alternate using both RA and retinol. This may help your skin slowly adjust to using RA then eventually just eliminate the retinol altogether. The point here is to maintain using a retinoid on your skin and not to stop. Because when you stop that means having to start over again from the beginning.

Honored Contributor

The green cream was many years ago, i do remember it being post about,just don't remember if i tried it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I tried it years ago, nothing special. and the one with the highest percentage was only .9 %.