Honored Contributor

Re: Gray is the new blonde! Ladies how do you enhance your gray, silver hair?

[ Edited ]

Oh no! Not another grey hair thread!!! When I started one about my “transitioning” to white hair, it went on forever. 

There were posts that women would look older....posts that they don’t, etc. “I’ll always color my hair” and “I’d never go back to dying my hair”.

For the record: My hair has been all white since age 30 (like other women on my Mother’s side of family). I colored it dark brown every 3 wks. for almost 4 decades and last year at 68 1/2 called it quits! The shiny, white part & around my hair line sparkled through after 1 wk. of coloring and I had to plan my life around the next hair appt. 

My natural hair is a breeze....alternate S&C Shea Moisture for curls and Shimmer Lights (Clairol at Sally’s) to keep the white brighter. Other than a hair cut every 10-12 wks. (now that I’m growing it out from short layers)...no thoughts or worries about hair. Period.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs  I did write it out and it was blocked.  It is Shikai.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1wrote:

@tends2dogs  I did write it out and it was blocked.  It is Shikai.

@Katcat1 I use this, too.  I altnerate my shampoos.  I am not a fan of the dark purple shampoos.  Even after one washing, I have a blueish cast to my hair that I don't find attractive.  Thanks for responding.  Smiley Happy

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

No no no. Blond is blond.  Gray is nice, but make people look older.. Sorry

Honored Contributor

@SANNAwrote:

No no no. Blond is blond.  Gray is nice, but make people look older.. Sorry

@SANNA  Like I said, here we go again. If grey/white/silver salt & pepper hair is kept in good condition, cut in an attractive, stylish way, makeup adjusted for the new color.....NO, it does not always make you look older.

IMHO, seeing a 70 year old pale blonde or dark brunette w/ fried hair from over-processing for 40 years, a ponytail or an otherwise outdated haircut is far more aging. There’s nothing worse than a sheep trying to still look like a lamb. 

It sounds much better in French, but they have the right idea. Accept age, do the best with it re: skincare, facials, exercise, proper makeup (lighten up...less is more) & smile! You woke up and took a breath. Celebrate...

Valued Contributor

Gray hair is very modern.  

It seems to be widely accepted, and even desirable, by the 55 and younger crowd and panned by those over 60 as being ageing.

I'm not gray yet, but I I go gray the way my mom did, I will love it.

Best of luck.  There's never been a better time to embrace your gray.

Honored Contributor

I do not enhance. Just leave it alone.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Respected Contributor

I don't use anything special on my hair since I went gray. I'd been using Wen exclusively, but have had to stop buying due to finances. So now I'm mixing the Wen I have left with Tresemme shampoo. Tresemme is what I was using pre-Wen, and I'm fine going back to it. I don't have any yellowing issues, and my hair is shiny, soft and manageable.

When somebody asks for help with their gray hair (as the OP did) why can we not just answer the question? She didn't ask for our opinion on whether gray hair was flattering, makes one look older, etc. She's already made her choice...and the rest of us are free to make ours.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oostendewrote:

Gray hair is very modern.  

It seems to be widely accepted, and even desirable, by the 55 and younger crowd and panned by those over 60 as being ageing.

I'm not gray yet, but I I go gray the way my mom did, I will love it.

Best of luck.  There's never been a better time to embrace your gray.

@Oostende ITA (of course, since Silver Fox, myself). Young models and teens are finding it the “new blonde”. 

Many times at my haircut appts., a young girl comes in to have her brown hair heavily highlighted to silver or white like Pink, Zoe Kravitz, etc. 

Honored Contributor

If this is true, maybe that's why so many ask if my streaks are "real".

I have 2 bright white streaks that run along the side of my face; the rest of my hair is dark brown. Coloring the hair around my hairline was a nightmare because the white would be obvious a week later. So, talking it over with my stylist, we decided to let it grow and see how it looked. I get compliments constantly. Sadly, my grey hair isn't this shade all over, so I color the rest of my hair my natural dark brown. I have yellowish gray hair that looks horrible over most of my head; the pure gorgeous white is only around my face and the back of my neck- don't know why. I would wear it pure white in a heartbeat if it was all this shade but no, it isn't. The contract is dramatic and fits my personal look. 

I rotate between a few different brands of shampoos and conditioners; styling products are all by Aveda (for now). I don't do anything special for the white streaks (roughly an inch wide).