Esteemed Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Well, ya know, @millieshops, I'm not embarrassed about my gray hair.  I don't cover it, or color it, or hide inside my house because of it.  I'm proud of it.  I lived a full life and earned every gray hair on my head.  And, yes, since you mentioned it, I'm pleased with my appearance and I'm confident in how I look.   If some pretty young woman compliments me on my gray hair, I'm proud of that.  So proud that I wrote it on this board.

Woman Happy

@tototwo .... Hi .... I am sure you look BEAUTIFUL with your grey hair & you should be proud & confident!!! .... don't let what some of the posters say bother you .... there are a few that are so negative & say things intended to offend & hurt others .... just ignore them as they probably are unhappy with themselves! 😄

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

Sheese!  Is there something in the air (or water)?  I don't understand the snarkiness (but I never do on these Internet forums) over a person's like (or pride) for her gray hair or why anyone has a problem with this thread topic Smiley Surprised  It's not worth it folks!

@monicakm ... Hi ... I agree with you ... these snarks come out of the woodwork all the time ... I just don't understand why ... if they don't like the subject then they should just move on to another post that they like rather than posting rude remarks .... many of them have thousands of posts next to their names ... I guess they have nothing better to do but, post on these boards which might be the reason they are so rude.... they are unhappy with themselves.

Honored Contributor

Another "silver fox" here! and proud of it!!  I haven't colored my hair for over 15 years although I sometimes tease my fantastic hairdresser that the next time I come in she can color it auburn (my original color).  She looks at me like a deer in headlights and tells me she will never color my hair, ever.  Then she says, "Do you have any idea how many of my customers love your hair color and wish theirs was the same?  They pay big bucks to get their color; yours is natural and beautiful."  But she's right.  She will never apply color to my hair again and neither will I. 

I must admit my hair is a lovely shade of silver and I know how fortunate I am.  I also get compliments often, from men and women, especially from  people I don't see on a regular basis.  It's not just the silver color they love, it's also the cut and the style.  Best of all it doesn't make me look older, or so I've been told.

To those of you who choose to color your hair.  Never say never.  I know of more than one person who was forced to stop coloring because of a chemical reaction and/or allergy to the coloring process.  I think it was not too long ago that a famous TV actress had a serious allergic reaction to toxic chemicals in her hair color. 

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Esteemed Contributor

My hair is silver... and I get all kinds of  compliments which MAKE MY DAY.  I had no idea since I played around with color since the age of 12.  Finally it got color resistant and I did not know why.  I finally just let it go and boy was I surprised.  I do nothing to it... just wash and go.. not even a dryer.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Gray haired and proud!

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I believe we exhausted the subject of "I love/hate gray" just a couple days ago.

When I read the heading, I knew exactly how this thread would go. No way would it just be a series of "Oh, how nice that you received a compliment" posts.

Nope, it immediately starts one of the more ridiculous debates (and there are many) on this board.  I do happen to agree with @millieshops that the use of the word "proud" didn't exactly help.

And then there's the inimitable poster, so active in being overly defensive about her gray hair, chiming in to say that she can't believe how this thread became nasty, when there really weren't any nasty posts at all.

@suzyQ3   Why did I know who the "inimitable poster" was without looking?  Too much time on the boards or too typical a response from that person?

I have gray hair and I'm sick of talking and hearing about it.

Goodbye.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I will never understand  WHY so many women on this board get so nasty to those of us who have grey or white hair and love our hair color. I too am proud of my pretty, shiny , healthy  WHITE hair. My hair started going grey when I was 25, and by the time I was early 50's it was predominantly white. I would never put dye over such a pretty color of hair. My hair is baby fine and very very soft - my DH loves it. he likes how it looks and he loves to touch it. 

Oh Lord, before your post, there literally wasn't one nasty one about her loving her gray. Do you ever acknowledge the nastiness you put out? You ALWAYS insult those who DO color their hair on these threads but never admit to that. 

To the OP, I am so happy that her compliment made you feel great!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

@bonnielu

Loved your post.  It was the first time that I remember reading of someone else who's hair became dye resistant.  I had that issue with one section of my hair in front...stylist said let's let it go white there only.  Well, the hair across the forehead is now curly white and I still color the rest dark, dark brown.

Never colored my hair till my 40's.  The contrast is dramatic and I not only get compliments from all types of folks, but it also prompts some folks to mention someone in their lives that they miss who also had the white streak.  They seem to be happy when they talk about the person...men and women.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I will never understand  WHY so many women on this board get so nasty to those of us who have grey or white hair and love our hair color. I too am proud of my pretty, shiny , healthy  WHITE hair. My hair started going grey when I was 25, and by the time I was early 50's it was predominantly white. I would never put dye over such a pretty color of hair. My hair is baby fine and very very soft - my DH loves it. he likes how it looks and he loves to touch it. 

How incredibly ironic.

I recall seeing you say that all women who color their hair have frizzy, damaged hair . Not more than a week ago.  I find that to be a nasty comment.

Whether to go gray or not is a personal coice and one choice is not more "noble" than the other.  

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

Always nice to get a compliment but one question..... If I started a thread and wrote Auburn Hair and Proud, would the responses be patting me on the back and then one usual suspect would come on here and talk about how nasty people were to me ad nauseum? I think not...

Honored Contributor

It seems the people who are grey and loving it are self confident and do not require outside assurance but the hair dyers do seem to need to keep reassuring themselves and each other they are doing the right thing. OK then. If you feel better telling us - ad nauseum - that we all look old and have "let ourselves go" in order to make you feel better about yourselves - go ahead, because we are self assured and confident. We can take it - anything to make you all feel better about yourselves.