Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Hair color is just that -- hair color. I don't get the reason for being proud of whatever color you have.

@suzyQ3 , you said you don't want this to turn into a judgey gray hair thread. I believe you. Nothing wrong or unusual with people being proud or ashamed or neutral or giddy about their hair color. It's an individual thing. For some people it is a very defining aspect of their image. For others not at all. Rational reasons not needed. Takes all kinds to float the boat.

@Porcelain, here's the reason that I don't get the "proud" feeling. First, I've only heard it from those who let their go gray. Second, I sense that it is a subtle dig at those who continue to color their hair and a subtle boast that they themselves are going with the natural flow of things.

Oh my I've heard of plenty of proud gingers, baldies, blondies, beardies, people with waist length hair. It just makes them happy. Like freckles. Some people hate theirs, some people love theirs, some people draw fake freckles on. The rest of us live in relative ignorance of the freckled experience.

I'm sure if the enthusiasts could turn us all ginger, bald, and freckled etc with no consequences they would! Thank goodness none of us have magic wands.

@Porcelain, I was referring only to the weekly gray hair v. colored hair threads here.

Are you saying you're tired of reading that it is unnatural and inferior to dye your hair? If so I don't blame you. I don't know why we can't all just do our own things and celebrate what we enjoy--grey or dye--and not try to hurt the feelings of people who don't want to partake.

This thread was supposed to be about the young folk dyeing their locks grey.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Hair color is just that -- hair color. I don't get the reason for being proud of whatever color you have.

@suzyQ3 , you said you don't want this to turn into a judgey gray hair thread. I believe you. Nothing wrong or unusual with people being proud or ashamed or neutral or giddy about their hair color. It's an individual thing. For some people it is a very defining aspect of their image. For others not at all. Rational reasons not needed. Takes all kinds to float the boat.

@Porcelain, here's the reason that I don't get the "proud" feeling. First, I've only heard it from those who let their go gray. Second, I sense that it is a subtle dig at those who continue to color their hair and a subtle boast that they themselves are going with the natural flow of things.

Oh my I've heard of plenty of proud gingers, baldies, blondies, beardies, people with waist length hair. It just makes them happy. Like freckles. Some people hate theirs, some people love theirs, some people draw fake freckles on. The rest of us live in relative ignorance of the freckled experience.

I'm sure if the enthusiasts could turn us all ginger, bald, and freckled etc with no consequences they would! Thank goodness none of us have magic wands.

@Porcelain, I was referring only to the weekly gray hair v. colored hair threads here.

Are you saying you're tired of reading that it is unnatural and inferior to dye your hair? If so I don't blame you. I don't know why we can't all just do our own things and celebrate what we enjoy--grey or dye--and not try to hurt the feelings of people who don't want to partake.

This thread was supposed to be about the young folk dyeing their locks grey.

Yes, @Porcelain 

As to the thread itself, you and I both know that "gray hair" is like the "Slowly I turn, inch by inch, step by step" routine. Just those two words will elicit the debate.

In fact, I said just that in my first post here (Post #20). I would have been fine sticking to the topic but felt compelled to chime in with my two cents after the thread had quickly morphed into the old routine.

All's good. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Regular Contributor

That was about as back handed a criticism of hair color as you can get, @TennisCaptain

Women sticking together? Hmmm.

You missed my point. I colored my hair for many years, and I really liked my color. I have no problem with people coloring or not coloring. I do have a problem with people being outright rude, telling you their opinion without you even asking. Sometimes people you don't even know say negative things. It is a personal choice.

Regular Contributor
Also, when I said I get more compliments on my gray hair than colored hair. It was NOT a statement saying "gray" is better, it was a fact about "me". My mother thought I used to color my hair too dark, maybe that was the reason people likey "gray" hair better. People are so sensitive. I truly try to support whatever a woman thinks is best for her own hair.
Valued Contributor

I recently started the Curly Girl method.. Since I am trying to get my hair as healthy as possible - after so many years of coloring and highlighting my hair - I really want to see what it will look like natural.  I have no idea what to expect and I leave my options open.  If I hate it so much, I will dye it again but its a mystery!

Super Contributor

I find it fascinating myself.  Maybe because I just completed my transition to gray a year ago.  My hairdresser mentioned at my last trim that gray is trending big right now and she was not on board with my transition.  Now she’s eating her words just a little bit.  Whether it be natural or not, I think it’s fun and different.  I love my hair now more than I ever have and see others transitioning now all the time.  I do think that natural gray hair is full of dimension in some where the dyed gray just is not.  But to each their own.  

Contributor

I personally like gray hair but it depends on the person wearing it, if it suits them or not. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819  - I remember when I was in my 20's, lots of my young friends and co-workers were getting their hair "frosted" with silver gray streaks.   (and I'm sure lots of ladies here remember that fad from the 60's-70's)  

Back then, all my friends tried to talk me into getting silver streaks in my hair and I said "absolutely not."   I told them all I wouild be gray soon enough and didn't see a reason to rush it.   Fast forward 50 years later.... and, yes, I have silver hair and all my friends are dyeing their hair any color but gray so they don't look old.   

I think every generation has had a gray hair trend of some kind.   I also kind of like the purple, pink, or green streaks -- I've done that a few times with a spray-on, wash-out color.    

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

@Carmie For what it's worth, I agree with you that younger women just don't see gray hair the way older generations do.  

Lots of older women associate graying hair with old age.  That's a fair opinion.  Too often on these threads women try to extrapolate their own opinion as something indisputable like "gray hair is aging and ugly on all women."  That's just nonsense.  It's not a fact.  It's an opinion, and it is not an opinion shared by all women or all cultures.  

Personally, I love gray hair on women of all ages.  I think it is unusual and beautiful.  I suppose that's why so many young women choose it.  I'm happy many of us have moved beyond such ridiculous ageist stereotypes.

Respected Contributor

This is yet ANOTHER months-old thread that @AbbyAbhc19  has bumped! She's doing this all over the boards.

I know she's new, and I don't mean to sound harsh, but it's just annoying to open a thread and find out it's been inactive for several months...until now.