Honored Contributor

My niece had her hair colored pink for a long time and a lot of it fell out. I don't know what she did to it. I've seen people with just about every color there is. Not a big fan of it but it's a trend that's been going on for a while.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Gray and silver are neutral colors for hair that are natural for young and older people.  Many young people have these colors naturally.  Those who have red, blonde, brunette and black hair might want a change.

We think nothing of people going from brown to blonde for vise versa.  Why would it be different to choose to go gray instead of blonde?

A lot of Ladies from previous generations associate gray, white and silver with age.  Younger people today do not think the same way.  It's just another color to them.

My own hair is salt and pepper..many shades of silver and black.  I volunteer at an elementary school.  The kids often ask me my age, and I tell them.  Often they say, you are older than my grandma, but you look younger.

I ask if "grandma" has silver hair like mine, and most of the time they say no.  Children do not associate gray hair with age any more. 

I asked my 10 year old grandson and the kids at school  if people looked younger if they colored their gray hair.  They said no, they just look like old people who color their hair.  You can't fool children and they are honest.

When I worked as a hair stylist, I colored the gray hair of many 20 year old " kids."  You would be surprised how early some people begin getting gray hair.  Often it starts in high school.

Things that ages someone to me are deep wrinkles, yellow or missing teeth, bad posture, clothing that looks like it belongs on a teenager and clothing that looks dark, drab and depressive and a closed mind to learning new things.

I see people of all ages with purple, blue, green, pink and rainbow hair.  They are having fun with color. I don't think it is odd at all. It's not any crazier than wearing different colors of nail polish.

I like the fact that we can be individuals and wear a hair color that we choose and change it as often as we like.

Sorry, but I'm not buying this part of your post. I seriously doubt that anyone, including children, has stopped associating gray hair with age.

And let me make it perfectly clear, I think that one can be attractive no matter what color hair. But gray hair IS, unless it's a trend from a bottle, one of the signs of aging. Again, this is not a judgment, and it doesn't mean that everyone with gray hair looks as if he or she is not long for this world.

it's simply a biological fact.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

There is no stopping this thread from joining all the other contentious threads regarding gray hair.

I'll stick to the topic here and say that the artificial graying of young people is just a trend, and although I do see it occasionally, it's not widespread.

Five years ago I would have agreed, but the faux gray seems to gaining in popularity and more and more commonplace.  

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Gray and silver are neutral colors for hair that are natural for young and older people.  Many young people have these colors naturally.  Those who have red, blonde, brunette and black hair might want a change.

We think nothing of people going from brown to blonde for vise versa.  Why would it be different to choose to go gray instead of blonde?

A lot of Ladies from previous generations associate gray, white and silver with age.  Younger people today do not think the same way.  It's just another color to them.

My own hair is salt and pepper..many shades of silver and black.  I volunteer at an elementary school.  The kids often ask me my age, and I tell them.  Often they say, you are older than my grandma, but you look younger.

I ask if "grandma" has silver hair like mine, and most of the time they say no.  Children do not associate gray hair with age any more. 

I asked my 10 year old grandson and the kids at school  if people looked younger if they colored their gray hair.  They said no, they just look like old people who color their hair.  You can't fool children and they are honest.

When I worked as a hair stylist, I colored the gray hair of many 20 year old " kids."  You would be surprised how early some people begin getting gray hair.  Often it starts in high school.

Things that ages someone to me are deep wrinkles, yellow or missing teeth, bad posture, clothing that looks like it belongs on a teenager and clothing that looks dark, drab and depressive and a closed mind to learning new things.

I see people of all ages with purple, blue, green, pink and rainbow hair.  They are having fun with color. I don't think it is odd at all. It's not any crazier than wearing different colors of nail polish.

I like the fact that we can be individuals and wear a hair color that we choose and change it as often as we like.

Sorry, but I'm not buying this part of your post. I seriously doubt that anyone, including children, has stopped associating gray hair with age.

And let me make it perfectly clear, I think that one can be attractive no matter what color hair. But gray hair IS, unless it's a trend from a bottle, one of the signs of aging. Again, this is not a judgment, and it doesn't mean that everyone with gray hair looks as if he or she is not long for this world.

It's not unusual for people to start to go gray in high school or college.  Many are salt and pepper or have more gray than their childhood color before they are 25.  I would hardly call them aged.

There are also many people who never get gray hair no matter how old they are.  How much and how fast we go gray or not is not determined by age, but by genetics.

Regular Contributor
My daughter is a cosmetologist and has dyed people's hair gray. It doesn't usually last very long. It fades really fast into a not so nice shade of blond usually. It takes a lit if up keep. I went gray early and dyed my hair. Than all if a sudden I started having a bad reaction to hair dye. My scalp itched and my hair was falling out. I stopped coloring my hair. I also stopped straightening my naturally curly hair. My husband said He wasn't going to like it. I've been 100% silver for about 3 years now. My Husband and my Daughter love it. I love the way it sparkles in certain light. I'm so happy not to be a slave to hair color anymore. Not to mention that I'm not putting all the chemicals on me anymore. I wear "hip" clothes, my Husband is in a Rock band, He has no gray hair. We both play guitar in our contemporary service at our church, we are active and are Grandparents. I could care less what people think of gray hair. I don't believe I look older at all with gray (sparkly) hair. I have had many people ask if I color my hair this color. My hair is healthy now, no longer falling out. I'm actually having fun being silver and curly.
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

It's not unusual for people to start to go gray in high school or college.  Many are salt and pepper or have more gray than their childhood color before they are 25.  I would hardly call them aged.

There are also many people who never get gray hair no matter how old they are.  How much and how fast we go gray or not is not determined by age, but by genetics.

@Carmie, you're talking outliers, though. The vast majority do not have gray hair at 25, and the vast majority of people do have gray hair when they are old.

It's okay.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3   I have to agree with your statement.  You are correct.  But many young people in their 30's are coloring their hair to cover grays.  They aren't 100% gray, but they have enough to be noticed. That is extremely common.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@suzyQ3   I have to agree with your statement.  You are correct.  But many young people in their 30's are coloring their hair to cover grays.  They aren't 100% gray, but they have enough to be noticed. That is extremely common.

That very well might be true, @Carmie . I don't recall having any gray hairs that young, but that doesn't mean I didn't. I certainly didn't start having my roots done for many years after that.

Honored Contributor

Re: Gray Hair Trend

[ Edited ]

@Carmie  My hair is salt and pepper and has been like this since mid 50's.  I have to say that I would NOT look younger if I had colored hair.  I mean your face ages along with the rest of you.  Now if I had money for a face lift I may look younger with colored hair but I would still wear my salt  & pepper look proudly.  I am silver and dark brown and the dark brown in underneathg my silver.  I Love my hair.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I would also like to say that gray hair is really "silver."  Some women with age go almost white but, of course, it is not a white white.  I believe when this happens it is because all the color has come out of your hair.  It is also very pretty.  NO matter what color your hair, healthy hair is the BEST.

kindness is strength