Honored Contributor

Several years ago stopped coloring my hair...with the condition if for any reason wasn't happy wouldn't keep it. Love mine. Receive compliments.

Twin attempted growing out hers and didn't like the results she tells me everytime we get together how beautiful my hair is.

The salon my stylist works for tells me women pay for my shade and again comments on the color. Sometimes consider having temporary shades of purple or pink salon results are beautiful. Hair, Should be fun.

Honored Contributor

I haven't noticed any "gray hair trend" where I live.......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I work with 2 young ladies (late 20's) who dye their hair gray.  

The one seems to have a stylist that is good and the color is an interesting shade of gray silver but it does not flatter her skin tone.

The other girl is having troubles, her gray is dingy and patchy and looks odd.  I have to wonder if it is a difficult color to obtain and maintain.

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I'm not talking about going gray naturally, I'm talking about people dying their hair gray.

I don't get it. ...

and...

I thought I had said when people DYE their hair gray, meaning, their natural color is something else (red, blonde, black, brown, etc), but they choose to color  it gray.

I take it you're saying you think or accept the notion grey hair looks bad, so why would anyone do that purposefully?

Because they reject that notion, and don't associate a negative with grey hair.

That's it.  It's that simple.

40 years ago I worked with a young 30s professional woman who dyed her hair a gorgeous pale silver grey. It looked great on her. 

And it wasn't 'trendy' to do so at the time.

My own head started sprouting silvery strands when I was 15, just as my father's did, due to an autoimmune disorder. Rather than covering it, I exploited it. 

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819   I see it this way.....They've already been through all the other colors (blue, green, pink, purple), so what else was left to try?

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl 

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I work with 2 young ladies (late 20's) who dye their hair gray.  

The one seems to have a stylist that is good and the color is an interesting shade of gray silver but it does not flatter her skin tone.

The other girl is having troubles, her gray is dingy and patchy and looks odd.  I have to wonder if it is a difficult color to obtain and maintain.

A girl used to work here who was always changing her hair color, so her hair was already pretty porous when she decided to let her stylist color her hair gray (his idea).  Well.......it turned purple, and it was so destroyed that they couldn't do anything to try to fix it for a long time while he tried to re-condition her hair!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

You can not achieve a true beautiful white silver grey that comes natural with color....all the greys that come from color LOOK FAKE.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Gray Hair Trend

[ Edited ]

The gray that people are dying their hair now is very unnatural looking.  It's obviously dyed, nothing natural about it.  Most of the time it doesn't even look good with their skintone.

There are a few young women who are on the same salon schedule as I am that get their hair dyed gray.  It's dull looking to me and nothing I'd want but it's their hair.  One of the hairstylists in the salon also dyes her hair gray.       

It's not something I would ever do but I'm in the salon every 7-8 weeks getting my gray covered.  

Respected Contributor

I think it's an ugly and moronic trend. I will dye my gray hair blonde until I am in the grave!  No thanks I don't need to look older than I am.  I started going gray in college.  It was awful.  Gray and white hair is associated with aging, that is a simple fact.  There is a neighbor of mine with a full head of white hair.  He is always seen with a small child which I automatically assumed was his grandchild. I was mortified to find out it was his son, thank god I never said anything about it to him!  The white hair made me assume he was quite a bit older than he must actually be.  If you're comfortable with your natural gray good on you, enjoy it.  I'm not.  And cannot understand why young people would want this look.  Just weird to me. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Gray Hair Trend

[ Edited ]

There is no stopping this thread from joining all the other contentious threads regarding gray hair.

I'll stick to the topic here and say that the artificial graying of young people is just a trend, and although I do see it occasionally, it's not widespread.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland